Module 2 - members test experiences

Looking at a kwak 636 ninja always been on my list and insurance seems good too !

Really? Every bike I looked at that was classed as a proper 'sports' bike they wanted at least 60% of the value of the bike as first years premium! Can't wait to get my first years no claims and go crazy :D

Looking at a kwak 636 ninja always been on my list and insurance seems good too !

Really? Every bike I looked at that was classed as a proper 'sports' bike they wanted at least 60% of the value of the bike as first years premium! Can't wait to get my first years no claims and go crazy :D

shop around more...i insured my R6 without any no claims, after quotes that ranged from a ridiculous 1000, right down to the 260 that i ended up paying

shop around more...i insured my R6 without any no claims, after quotes that ranged from a ridiculous 1000, right down to the 260 that i ended up paying

But Cat your 104 :shock::shock: xxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

PASSED MOD 2 YESTERDAY!!!

Was soooo nervous though I had failed as I ignored two turn right instructions on the independent riding part of the test, which he did at the beginning of the test! I didn't know the area well so I stuck to the roads I knew and kept my wits about me, and passed!

• 3 months later...

After numerous cancellations of both modules in the winter and waiting for my instructor to get a 46.6bhp bike i finally passed last week.

It wasn't a great test by any stretch of the imagination though, i actually thought i'd failed right off the bat and for the rest of the test my riding was pretty shoddy if i'm honest, i think nerves got the better of me and i forgot to do simple things like checks which i normally never forget and even didn't change down enough gears approaching a round-about once.

This was all topped off by the radio, it was like she was talking through a distortion pedal from what i could hear, and when i tapped on my helmet and pulled over to tell her that it wasn't working she basically said we could either carry on or cancel the test, and after waiting for months to actually get a chance to even take a test and with summer slipping away i said lets just carry on but apologized in advanced if i misheard her and turned the wrong way. Problem being she seemed to try and remedy the problem by shouting, which was genuinely painful in my ear and made me jump the first couple of times she did it, which didn't help the nerves.

Also, straight after telling her about the problem, when pulling back onto the road i think i pulled out in front of someone, a BMW. He was way way back when i checked my shoulder first and being in a 30 zone we should have had plenty of time to pull out, and i didn't hang about, but when i checked my mirrors he was right up behind the examiner so i guess he must have been flying, which might be why she let me off because i know in a car you fail for that instantly.

All in all despite my poor performance (i was actually surprised when she said i'd passed, i guess she could tell it was nerves and not my normal riding standard) i passed.

I don't blame the examiner for the radio problem, not her fault she'd been issued dodgy equipment and she was right, there wasn't time to go back to the center, get another radio and start again so given the situation i guess she couldn't have done much else.

Bought myself a little ER-5 to celebrate. Restrictor kit coming today then i'll be hitting the road (hopefully not literally).

PASSED MOD 2 YESTERDAY!!!

Was soooo nervous though I had failed as I ignored two turn right instructions on the independent riding part of the test, which he did at the beginning of the test! I didn't know the area well so I stuck to the roads I knew and kept my wits about me, and passed!

My instructor always told me that going wrong on the independent ride surprisingly doesn't matter as long as you go wrong safely. Anyway, congratulations!

I passed my mod 2 yesterday although I have to say that I am amazed that I did.

I arrived at my training office at 8:30 am ready for a days training and test at 2:59 the same afternoon. Then at 12:30 we decided that it was lunch time. While we were in the cafe having lunch my instructor got a text asking if we would like to bring the test forward to 1 pm.

Total of 3 (ish) hours training and test was about to happen. Not feeling at all confident but hey ... it was going to happen so what the hell. Arrived at test centre and I couldn't believe my eyes when the examiner came out and introduced himself to the candidate before me. I recognised him from my previous life as a driving instructor. I didn't even know that he did motorcycle tests. Anyway, I am now pretty convinced that I wasn't going to pass. We never really got on and on more than one occasion had some cross words with each other. Usually over pettiness like she was an inch over the stop line sort of thing. (I know it is still wrong but you have to support your students don't you?)

So, added frustration to the nerves. Eventually my turn came and called my name and smiled as I made myself known. Went through the usual can I see your paperwork and which ear would you like to have the radio on etc etc ...

I am now starting to think that he didn't recognise me. It was a number of years since I was an instructor and I have changed quite a bit ... grown a beard and shaved the head. 'Lead the way to your machine then ...' followed by reading a number plate and three easy show me tell me question.

Brilliant I thought, he doesn't recognise me. 'Start your bike then and I'll do a radio check before we leave the centre'. He walked to his bike, put the board into his top box and hooked up the radio. 'can you hear me ok?' I gave him the thumbs up to let him know I heard him and he said 'when you're ready ride out of the test centre and turn left. Follow the road ahead ... well you know the drill'. I'm thinking, that's not right. I must have paused for a second or two too long because he rode over to me and asked if I could hear him ok. I said 'yes, I was just thrown by your 'you know the drill' comment.'

'Well, you been up here often enough with your car candidates haven't you?' smiled and waved me on.

Test ... icles, I thought. Only less polite. He remembers me. Now the test was terrible I couldn't relax after that comment. I rolled back a few inches at a junction because I didn't get the bite before releasing the back brake, and then over did it and went a little too close to the kerb after turning right.

I was so peeved at this that I just wanted to go back to the centre, get the radio gear off and go home. Without his instruction I decided to check mirrors, signalled left and after live saver turned left back onto the main drag back to the test centre. His next instruction was to follow the roundabout ahead and repeated it more than once as if I didn't hear him. I followed his directions through the rest of the test and just wished away the minutes till we got back.

Eventually we did arrive back at the test centre and I parked up took my helmet off and went over to my instructor to tell her that I had failed. I followed the examiner into the radio room and he said 'I'm pleased to tell you, you have passed'.

I couldn't believe the next thing I heard ... my voice, ME saying 'are you kidding me?' quite sarcastically. He faulted going too near the kerb but the roll back was ok apparantly! He asked me about the left turn back to the test centre and I said I thought I had heard that instruction. He laughed and congratulated me.

I always said that examiner was a nice guy! lol

• 1 month later...

My MOD 2 test (category A).

Test was scheduled for 1055 on 10th of October. To get to Oxford test centre I had to drive to the training base first. The drive from Bushey to Aylesbury took a while, A41 can be very busy at times, and I spent about 20 minutes at the last roundabout before Aylesbury (near Ashton Clinton). Got to the “base” at 0900 and at 0915 set off for Oxford.

Thursday was a very windy day. And cold. On open stretches of road I could feel the bike being pushed around by the wind blasts.

At 1030 (ish) we arrived at Oxford test centre. Took the remaining time to warm up and get rid of bad thoughts. At exactly 1055 the examiner, Rob, came out and invited me to the briefing before the test. Paperwork checked, radio set-up, out we go for the show me tell me part. How check that brakes are working, how to look after the chain and what to do when riding with a pillion were the questions. My instructor told me the day before the answers and with me being good enough with motoring stuff I sailed through these.

On the bike then! Radio check, all fine. The quality of the link was surprisingly good, after the bad experience with my instructor’s radio. Out of the car park and the fun begins! The roads near the test centre are OK, there’s very little traffic and this builds up some confidence. Somehow I managed to misunderstand the directions at first roundabout and the examiner repeated again. After three roundabouts we went to a 50 mph country lane, rode for a couple of miles then turned left into a road leading to a small village. Stopped for a controlled stop, moved off then had to go through a few traffic restricting measures and avoid a bus making its way on a narrow street with parked cars on my side. Stopped again, but this time for a start from behind parked vehicles. The road then went uphill and at that time a large number of kids from a school were marching along the road. The teachers moved them to the left side and I kept going at a slow 5 mph. At the top of the hill messed up the instruction and got corrected again. The road went downhill with a 180 degrees bend to the right. Easy. Back to a 50 mph road towards Oxford. Then the examiner asked to follow the signs for the ring road (independent driving) but he was kind of directing me by saying “it would be good to stay in left/right/centre lane”. Central Oxford is quite busy and there are a few 20 mph zones, but I managed to stay calm and just carry on. A couple of roundabouts followed and then we hit the 70 mph dual carriageway. Light twist of the throttle and my Gladius 650 is at 70. And then I get the news that I need to follow the signs independently for the stadium. If I have to, I have to! Taking the exit, get in lane, doing all the checks as learned before and in a few minutes I arrive at the test centre. Still unsure whether I passed or not, I walk to the door to get back inside as outside is very cold and windy. The door is locked and examiner told me to wait while he goes the other way. But before he left, he said “Don’t worry, you passed”. I forgot about the cold, the wind and everything else! I passed! I was so happy! Inside Rob told me about two minor faults, gave me the pass certificate and took my license.

We had to wait for another student to do the test. While he was being tested I went to the bowling place across the car park and had a nice cheeseburger with fries and a hot black coffee – I deserved that treat!

My colleague failed his test. Created a potentially dangerous situation. So we went back to the base to leave the bikes. The road back was so much nicer… the bike was purring along from its twin cylinder engine…

Now I’m looking for a bike. My first bike!

• 3 weeks later...

Mod 1 yesterday, Mod 2 today! I am now the elated owner of an Cat A unrestricted licence! Go me!

Missed the exit on the first roundabout - nerves so had to go all the way around, oops, but the rest of the test was fine.

I got a fault for that, and for something else but can't remember what it was. Who cares? I passed!!

• 1 month later...

Mod 2 PASSED!!!!

GET IN!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy right now I can barely speak.

NOT the best ride of my life. As many people on here have also had.. the ride beforehand was flawless - my test ride wasn't indicative of how I can ride at all. But it was competent and safe enough to pass. All my turns were pretty nervy, I took a lot of them too wide. I don't know what this was down to really as I was nailing them just a few minutes before - and do every day on my bike. But who cares... a pass is a pass!

Just waiting for the Tax disc to come through for my brand new CBR600F and then I'll be down to the dealership to bike her up.

Buzzing!!!!

I passed MOD 2 on the first try! Yay!! I really don't know what happened. I was so calm during the test. I was more nervous riding with the instructor before than on the test. I got 2 minors for "too racy" angle start and getting a bit too close to the island when turning right on one of the roundabouts. I'm one lucky son of gun as the weather was perfect, warm, dry and cloudy :).

I'll start looking for a big bike right after Christmas 8-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

just registered to thank you for all of those who shared their experiences. They were useful. I have to say that after passing the Mod 1 exam on the 4th attempt (ouch!) I wasn't feeling confident with Mod 2, but I went for it this week and I passed with 0 minors!!! :) so finally got my full motorcycle license! so as conclusion I would say Mod 1 and Mod 2 are completely different tests, so don't think because you did bad or good on Mod 1 you will get a similar result in Mod 2, prepare them as completely different stuff and go for it. It is worth it!.

GSXR 600 you are within reach now!

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived at the test center at 9 am as there was 2 of us and his test was first, the instructor wanted to change the tests around so I went first as the insttuctor wanted the other guy to have a ride around first to prepare him (secretly I wanted to go at 11:15 as planned) no I had to go first so the only ride I had was the 5 mins to the test center.

Met the examiner and got all geared up went outside for the eye test where he asked me to read a number pkate that was a lot further away than should be and at a dodgy angle so made it har to read plate, wrong! Read another equally as far and dodgy angle but also with a black screw cap on the yellow part wrong! Failed all 3 so im panicing thinkin I have failed before I get on the bike so he asks me to wait inside while he measures one out at 20m I read that fine.

So out on the road I got 3 minor rider faults first was aproaching junc minor to major turning left, I passed the last parked car on left made my way to nearside curb to position but aparantly not sharply enough so one minor. Second was minor to major again I had positioned to turn left and the road I was goin onto was raised above road I was on amd immidiatly was a pothole, front wheel went in pothole and I steadyed myself with foot, and I should have noticed it sooner amd positioned to the right and went round. 3rd was approaching roundabout asked to take first exit, so mirror, signal..... oooops noticed a blind turning on left before roundabout, so I cancelled signal and once passed the juction put it back on, I didnt get the minor for signalling wrong as I corrected it but he wanted me to put the signal back on as I was passing the turning and not when I was passed it like I did.

Passed yay huge sigh of relief as the whole time I was on the ride im thinkin of all the mistakes im making but I wasnt making any, my instructor had drummed so many things into our head that we must do this and must do that, that when on the test as you natuarally forget things your still up to test standard just not ade standard so hats of to alpha rider training in grantham

• 2 weeks later...

I passed my Mod 2 last October but there were a few things that happened and I wanted to let prospective mod 2 students know that it aint over 'till it's over.

The test started badly at Peterborough test centre where your first trial is merging onto a main road as soon as you leave the small road fromt eh gates. The traffic was backed up in both directions and a driver was frantically waving me out, I could see there were cyclists and the like coming so I waited. The examiner coughed that 'are we going to sit here all day?' cough. Oh dear.

A while later he told me to pull over when it was safe to do so. I could not see anywhere I considered safe so I continued, only to receive a harsh coment about not obeying his instructions. Oh dear No 2. I did pull over when it was safe and we were all square again.

I got shouted at for taking the wrong turning, he had definitely said the next left but I stayed calm, rode as if I had passed but by now assumed it was a waste of time and for the rest of the test, nothing untoward happened. We arrived back at the centre and I shook my head as I passed my instructor, and waited for the verdict. When he told me I had passed I could have fallen through the chair. My instructor listened to my account and agreed that I had done nothing dangerous, nor illegal and so the examiner was being a bit tetchy.

The moral is, NEVER give up. I could have thought, 'Ah bollocks to this' and ridden like a dick but I stuck at it, kept my cool and got through.

Good luck to all who are training up for the mod 2. I hope this little story helps. :)