Module 2 - members test experiences

• 2 weeks later...

Just passed my Mod 2 after having to take it for a second time. Didn't fail the first time, had to abandon the test due to radio problems! Nightmare!

Learn from my mistake - ANY problems with the radio AT ALL and demand they replace it before you go out. Mine was having intermittent issues, I could hear most things but every now and then it would cut out for short times. I assumed it would get better (BIG mistake) - it got worse, and I couldn't hear the instructions.

Had to take my test the following week (very lucky to get a slot so soon), and also I'm now having to claim back all my expenses from the DSA for that day - HUGE hassle.

Just passed my Mod 2 after having to take it for a second time. Didn't fail the first time, had to abandon the test due to radio problems! Nightmare!

Learn from my mistake - ANY problems with the radio AT ALL and demand they replace it before you go out. Mine was having intermittent issues, I could hear most things but every now and then it would cut out for short times. I assumed it would get better (BIG mistake) - it got worse, and I couldn't hear the instructions.

Had to take my test the following week (very lucky to get a slot so soon), and also I'm now having to claim back all my expenses from the DSA for that day - HUGE hassle.

Well done,got mine Friday :(

Only just got my test paper back from my instructor.Failed for leaving my lifesavers too late when exiting roundabouts on fourth exit on two counts.Can someone please confirm the routine to me.Approach roundabout in right lane having done a right lifesaver on approach.Looking right as I come on to the roundabout and stay tight to the roundabout.As I level with the last junction before the one I need to take do I signal left first or do a lifesaver before I signal.If I do a lifesaver first do I still do one as I exit.I was passing the junction before,indicated then did the lifesaver as I moved to the junction,examiner said that I had already committed myself before the lifesaver was complete HELP!

None of this mod 2 thingy when I took my test,it was eons ago.

When leaving the roundabout I would

Check mirror

indicate

lifesaver

manoeuvre,if safe to do so.

Had to think about it sat here,comes naturally when your on the bike.

Goodluck Friday

just over compensate the life saver

do one before you indicate then one just before you start to move position this way you are sure to get it right and there is no harm in double checking you wont get marked down for been safe :wink:

Only problem I see there is as a new rider looking into the empty lane for my life saver effects the trajectory of the bike, in a very positive manor for exiting a roundabout too! It helps lay the bike down and get the wheels perfectly set up for the switch in direction as I exit, it feels very natural and smooth this way and kinda dictates timing for when I look, I was told my life savers where confident and well timed by my examiner so perhaps you could try something like that? A LS at the wrong time or a double LS may upset the bike and ballance and that would worry me. I'm sure a more experienced rider would disagree but that's what works for my riding HTH :)

• 3 months later...

I know I should really split this into all three sections, but basically..I can't be bothered haha :up:

I'll keep it 'short' as plenty of people have written about their experiences in detail and i dont feel I have a lot to add to the details of the test, more the experience

My friend and I have both taken all this together (I've not yet convinced him to join TMBF but I'll get there)

Firstly - I took my CBT and DAS through Mike Williams in Bolton. They were AMAZING. All the instructors were great, patient, had a good laugh. I've already sent one friend their way, I travelled 30 minutes each way from home and passed a few other schools to go there because of their reviews and it was well worth it.

CBT - yep easy enough (ish) the school were great. Afterwards they said we're happy to give you a CBT but because you're doing DAS, we'd like you to do a couple of hours more tomorrow (at this point I'm waiting to find out this is a rip off scheme and I didnt make a good choice, but no, it was free!) Just did an extra 2 hrs on the road the following day, and they were right, we felt 100 times better.

MOD1 - I failed 2 times, mainly because of nerves, and then just fell apart completely even when I wasnt on test because i lost all my confidence, couldnt do a U turn, couldnt do any tight turn.s without panicking The school were great, they hire the test centre pad out, so I could practise at the weekends on the actual pad, and for at least a good 20/30 mins I couldnt get it, going round and round. The instructor didnt lose his tempter, they changed bikes, tried different styles, used visial prompts, started dancing and singing down the radio to get me to look round (I wish I had it on video lol), even took me round as a pillion to demonstrate technique. They were really great and eventually the penny dropped, FYI, elbow in, a straight arm tends to hinder your turning circle!

MOD2 - Well after the MOD1 farce, this was a 'breeze'. Bit of a shock as the school don't 'do' test routes out of principle, but this hadnt actually dawned on me previously so I got a few roads on the test that I didnt recognise, but I realised I could drive them great anyway, and to be honest, isnt that what we should really be aiming for - a good rider, not a rider who remembers the route. Also I did take a wrong turn about 3 minutes into the test so that probably didnt help!

All in all a great experience, and the school where honest and upfront, down to when my mate tried to book an extra days training they wouldnt let him because they said to him - you're a good rider, you don't need more tuition, and we're not going to take money off you for no reason. I imagine a lot of schools would gladly just drag you around for the day regardless of whether you needed it or not.

The School also ofer a masterclass day out ride (which I will be doing in a month or two) and have regular ride outs with the old students - the fact so many people come back to visit and want to go out riding with them says a lot I think.

Anyway, apologies for sticking this all in one post. I may get told off by an admin for being lazy :oops:

Keep it shiny side up :D

• 1 month later...

Passed today on my first time WOOOHOOO !

Time to sell the jet ski wife and kids and buy a bike lol

good luck to all others taking there test

And a BIG thanks to city school of motorcycling at seafield rd Edinburgh who advised me all the way through the test

Tommy