Nob of the Day.......

Tango

Had someone go nuts at me this morning, white VW Toureg. Which I’ve noticed often houses a particularly entitled type of driver, in my area at least.

He is sat in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway at the lights, left lane is clear until me and someone ahead of me comes alongside and stops. We set off on green and he’s below the speed limit so me and the car ahead are passing on the inside slowly. Traffic behind the VW tightens up as he’s holding them up, and I know in half a mile is a roundabout I want to turn right at. Seeing the queue behind this chap, and nearly being clear of him, I decide to keep going at the pace I am, and move over when clear. I do so with a few cars lengths between us about 400 yards from the roundabout, I do it smoothly and brush it off as him being another lane hogger.

Immediately as I’d moved, he’d got on his accelerator, beeping at me, flashing at me. I hold my hand up like “what is your deal?” and he gestures back less politely. He follows me most of the way home, then as I turn off I see him in the rear view mirror giving me a caricature thumbs up. Best guess I have, he thinks I drove like a dick and didn’t make any meaningful progress for it. The idea that he left that situation thinking he was in the right is just a bit scary…

The quality of driving in the last few years has really dropped, they just drive to their own invented rules, and get extremely emotional when someone does something they don’t like. I seem to encounter more and more people like this, who do things like sitting in the outside lane of a dual carriageway doing 55, no one else around but me, and when you go up the inside at 70 they suddenly go off on one. They chase you, ride on your bumper, cut in front with next to no gap. I just back off and leave them to it, but then find them a few miles later doing the same thing again.

Lack of intelligence and poor emotional control, behind the wheel of 2 tonnes of metal… Not a good mix. Nobs.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Had someone go nuts at me this morning, white VW Toureg. Which I’ve noticed often houses a particularly entitled type of driver, in my area at least.

He is sat in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway at the lights, left lane is clear until me and someone ahead of me comes alongside and stops. We set off on green and he’s below the speed limit so me and the car ahead are passing on the inside slowly. Traffic behind the VW tightens up as he’s holding them up, and I know in half a mile is a roundabout I want to turn right at. Seeing the queue behind this chap, and nearly being clear of him, I decide to keep going at the pace I am, and move over when clear. I do so with a few cars lengths between us about 400 yards from the roundabout, I do it smoothly and brush it off as him being another lane hogger.

Immediately as I’d moved, he’d got on his accelerator, beeping at me, flashing at me. I hold my hand up like “what is your deal?” and he gestures back less politely. He follows me most of the way home, then as I turn off I see him in the rear view mirror giving me a caricature thumbs up. Best guess I have, he thinks I drove like a dick and didn’t make any meaningful progress for it. The idea that he left that situation thinking he was in the right is just a bit scary…

The quality of driving in the last few years has really dropped, they just drive to their own invented rules, and get extremely emotional when someone does something they don’t like. I seem to encounter more and more people like this, who do things like sitting in the outside lane of a dual carriageway doing 55, no one else around but me, and when you go up the inside at 70 they suddenly go off on one. They chase you, ride on your bumper, cut in front with next to no gap. I just back off and leave them to it, but then find them a few miles later doing the same thing again.

Lack of intelligence and poor emotional control, behind the wheel of 2 tonnes of metal… Not a good mix. Nobs.

VW toerag - just stay away from them. Far too many of them are driven by muppets.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last year on the A1M going past Doncaster there was some guy in the outer lane doing 55. Three cars behind him and nothing on the inside. So I zipped past on the inside. His reaction made me think I'd assaulted his wife, abused his kids and stolen his dog. Played silly buggers for about 5 miles until we got to where the road is down to one lane for repairing the bridge over the Aire (I think) and I filtered up and away. He doubtless went on his way fuming about feckless motorcyclists.  Twat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Last year on the A1M going past Doncaster there was some guy in the outer lane doing 55. Three cars behind him and nothing on the inside. So I zipped past on the inside. His reaction made me think I'd assaulted his wife, abused his kids and stolen his dog. Played silly buggers for about 5 miles until we got to where the road is down to one lane for repairing the bridge over the Aire (I think) and I filtered up and away. He doubtless went on his way fuming about feckless motorcyclists.  Twat.

I'm sure if they'd incorporated psychological testing into the driving test there would be half the number of drivers on the roads today.

• Like 2

Commuting home this evening. Road is 5 lanes wide. 2 left lanes peal off and the other 3 are the start of the motorway. Uber driver in his 7 seater prius realised he's in the wrong lane and cuts across some cars to get off the motorway. I'm in lane 1. He entered lane 2 and then I saw he's not stopping moving across and cut me up at 40mph where I had to slam on the anchor to get in behind him before he went into me from the side. 

I've a bright red and white cbr, lights on, a huge fluorescent yellow back back and he still went straight into my space. 

Separate to this on the same commute home I was at a roundabout and last minute decided I needed petrol. But I ended up stopped at the lights on the roundabout in the wrong lane. Instead of cutting up the van to my left I waved at the driver and mimed that I wanted to go left. He gave me the thumbs up. He did the rev your engine mime. So I twisted the throttle a bit before the lights went green. Made me laugh and undo my annoyance at the earlier incident. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Whoever invented these as just a fashion item and even moreso whatever clown buys them for nearly £10,000.

I thought maybe it was just a mistake on the pricing, but I had a look at the site and came across T shirts at over £500 !

I'm lost for words !

• Haha 2

Instead of being made in a Far East sweatshop they're probably made in a European one staffed by illegal migrants who are effectively slaves.

• Like 1

wonder if its not just the time but because its parked side on?

id lust like to see just how many more tickets the warden could neatly stick to the screen?  then do they do the front when they run out of space on the back? 

then do you do the interior cubbys then the foot boards, then the seat, the exterior panels, wheels....😂

Edited by RideWithStyles

I've said it before, but it seems there is a real uptick in small businesses in the past year or two. It's like after covid when the cost of living started rising, people began supplementing their income. Loads of cleaners, gardeners, dog walker, dog groomer, and baby/house sitter jobs have sprung up. And I consistently encounter these people on the road, in stickered up estate cars or old vans, and they are some of the worst drivers on the road. They are quickly approaching the "Addison Lee" London taxi driver level of incompetence. 

The most recent 2, had a lady in a stickered up old van for a cleaning business pull out on me at a roundabout and then go into a rage at me for beeping at her, after causing me to brake hard enough to trigger the ABS in dry conditions. And another in a old Kia Minivan called "Pedros pals", who sat in the right hand lane for 3 miles of a dual carriageway, and got upset/floored it whenever I, on cruise control the entire time, got close to passing up the inside. Due to a patch of traffic I got ahead, but she then followed me and yelled at me at a set of lights. She was "turning right ahead" after I said "I was on cruise control, and you were lane hogging under the speed limit". In the time she'd sat in the lane, the lanes had gone from 2 to 1, and back to 2 again, and she was still more than a mile from turning right. 

What I find a bit nuts about it, is they have their social media plastered on the side of their vans. The two I encountered would have you believe they were patron saints, which I guess isn't that unusual these days. I messaged one to say "I was the blue Kia you yelled at, I was on cruise control and you kept slowing down, I wasn't messing with you so I don't know why you took it so personally. Calm down in future as if you do that with dogs in the back, you'll end up either in an accident or on the wrong side of a bad person, and you're easy to trace due to your vans stickers". Didn't even get a scathing reply, just got blocked, which spoke volumes. 

• Haha 1

I would have a "Sean Lock" approach and would have ask them if they know they need a driving license before going on the road...🤭

Edited by husoi
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

wonder if its not just the time but because its parked side on?

id lust like to see just how many more tickets the warden could neatly stick to the screen?  then do they do the front when they run out of space on the back? 

then do you do the interior cubbys then the foot boards, then the seat, the exterior panels, wheels....😂

This was in Westminster. Bike was parked in a bike bay alongside several others so was parked correctly. Just hadn't paid the parking fee. The fine I believe is £40 a day or something Vs the daily fee of £1 or £100 for a year. So it's been an expensive few days for this guy. 

• Like 1