Nob of the Day.......

Tango

Self-service tills are crap, but I'd take them any day in preference to the tills they used to have at the Somerfield next to work. Always a toss up between the convenience of it being next door and the excruciating wait - half and hour perhaps - for the two people ahead of you to get through the till. But then they brought in an improvement: instead of the lady at the till waving the items in the red beam and the customer putting the items in their own bags, they had the bright idea of adding value by getting the lady to pack your bags too. So now she took the tin of sardines from the belt, waved it a few times in the beam until she scored a *ding*, then she'd turn right round so she could see your bag, then she'd puff up the opening to make sure she could get the tin in, and finally lay it down next to the loaf of bread or whatever. Then she'd turn back the other way, pick up the next item and oh no please shoot me shoot me shoot me quick or at least pluck out my eyes so I don't have to look at it any more.

• Haha 2

The other day, at a roundabout coming off the motorway, 3 lanes go into 4. The outside lane is for those joining the motorway, and for people who took the wrong exit to rejoin. All 3 lanes go right around the roundabout, clearly marked. I'm in the left most lane, and a guy behind me goes into the outer lane for the motorway, tries to go around me and then beeps at me for being in the lane he wants to be in going around the roundabout. He got the wrong lane, but thinks I did. I raise my hand in a gesture of "what's your problem?". 

Go around the Trafford centre, get to a roundabout where the tram cuts through. This always causes problems, as people just ignore the sign posts and road markings. They've even painted X marks on the road to guide people. They still f**k it up, those in the middle lane just beeline for the outer lane as if it's their right. It isn't. Of course this driver has positioned to me on my left, glaring at me, girlfriend too... I just pull an incredulous look. The lights change, and I nip off the line, but follow the lane markings. And the inevitable happens, this car wants the lane I'm in again, and this time is flashing and beeping. I assume they think I've cut them up on purpose. The girlfriend has her head out the window screaming something. 

I get to Asda, park up. And they stop behind me to shout at me. Seeing the guy is built like a pair of skinny jeans is a loose fit, I feel confident walking up and just saying "you were in the wrong lane for both roundabouts". Que instant shrieking and various accusations. I just said "go back around both, look on google maps, and check the road markings and sign posts". Got told to f**k off before they sped off, to the Costco next door. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

The other day, at a roundabout coming off the motorway, 3 lanes go into 4. The outside lane is for those joining the motorway, and for people who took the wrong exit to rejoin. All 3 lanes go right around the roundabout, clearly marked. I'm in the left most lane, and a guy behind me goes into the outer lane for the motorway, tries to go around me and then beeps at me for being in the lane he wants to be in going around the roundabout. He got the wrong lane, but thinks I did. I raise my hand in a gesture of "what's your problem?". 

Go around the Trafford centre, get to a roundabout where the tram cuts through. This always causes problems, as people just ignore the sign posts and road markings. They've even painted X marks on the road to guide people. They still f**k it up, those in the middle lane just beeline for the outer lane as if it's their right. It isn't. Of course this driver has positioned to me on my left, glaring at me, girlfriend too... I just pull an incredulous look. The lights change, and I nip off the line, but follow the lane markings. And the inevitable happens, this car wants the lane I'm in again, and this time is flashing and beeping. I assume they think I've cut them up on purpose. The girlfriend has her head out the window screaming something. 

I get to Asda, park up. And they stop behind me to shout at me. Seeing the guy is built like a pair of skinny jeans is a loose fit, I feel confident walking up and just saying "you were in the wrong lane for both roundabouts". Que instant shrieking and various accusations. I just said "go back around both, look on google maps, and check the road markings and sign posts". Got told to f**k off before they sped off, to the Costco next door. 

At least you can (quite rightly) feel smug about being in the right.

• Like 2

The gentleman driving a Jeep Cherokee who demonstrated his off-roading skills when he found himself in the Bristol Ring Road lane instead of the M32 and drove up the grass embankment back on to the motorway. 

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Haha 2

Can I nominate a union rep in a written response "We would not do anything that would benefit our members."

I think it's called a Freudian slip

Edited by onesea
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

At least you can (quite rightly) feel smug about being in the right.

At one time I would, but I've had a few confrontations in this Asda car park about this same roundabout. And "Confidently wrong" doesn't describe these people well. 

One I had to slam on as he just veered over the lanes, I gave a quick blast of the horn. He must have thought I was following him through the various bends to the petrol station, and he stopped in the lane just ahead of the fuel station, got out, and came to confront me. I just drove around him shaking my head, and went to fill up, and it was awkward after that. He went from ready for a scrap, to refusing to make eye contact. I assume he felt a bit daft. 

Another actually confronted me in the Asda carpark, older chap and his wife told me to hand my license back. I was calm, but very blunt when I said "I will take you around right now, and if I was in the wrong lane, I will pay for your weekly shop. And if I'm right, I don't want anything". Seemed to baffle them more than anything. 

The roundabout was a crap design, but they tweaked it so the lanes are now really clearly marked. I felt smug when it was first built, whereas now it's more despair :lol: 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

At one time I would, but I've had a few confrontations in this Asda car park about this same roundabout. And "Confidently wrong" doesn't describe these people well. 

One I had to slam on as he just veered over the lanes, I gave a quick blast of the horn. He must have thought I was following him through the various bends to the petrol station, and he stopped in the lane just ahead of the fuel station, got out, and came to confront me. I just drove around him shaking my head, and went to fill up, and it was awkward after that. He went from ready for a scrap, to refusing to make eye contact. I assume he felt a bit daft. 

Another actually confronted me in the Asda carpark, older chap and his wife told me to hand my license back. I was calm, but very blunt when I said "I will take you around right now, and if I was in the wrong lane, I will pay for your weekly shop. And if I'm right, I don't want anything". Seemed to baffle them more than anything. 

The roundabout was a crap design, but they tweaked it so the lanes are now really clearly marked. I felt smug when it was first built, whereas now it's more despair :lol: 

I feel your pain, l don't know that particular junction but as someone who drove HGV's for many years all over the country, l can tell you that there are hundreds of similar junctions, either poorly marked or the lanes just didn't work. When approaching any of these you just have to be super weary and expect swervers.

I like the shopping story, l bet they did go back and have another look. Managing to stay calm in these situations can be difficult but so worth it afterwards. 

• Like 3

Almost me :roll:

Had to take car battery out to charge last night ( small battery and short journeys don't go together)

Putting it back on today and I touched the bonnet with other end of spanner while putting last terminal back on. Nice big spark dropped into the engine bay :shock:

Got away with it, I had expected at least one fuse to of blown ( not to mention me!) but all was fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Almost me :roll:

Had to take car battery out to charge last night ( small battery and short journeys don't go together)

Putting it back on today and I touched the bonnet with other end of spanner while putting last terminal back on. Nice big spark dropped into the engine bay :shock:

Got away with it, I had expected at least one fuse to of blown ( not to mention me!) but all was fine.

Positive first, negative last, how many times do you need to hear it 😂.

• Like 2

Self nomination. Took my glasses off to get changed from working clothes to casual wear. Sat on the bed to put on my trousers. Yes, I need a replacement pair of glasses. Currently wearing a previous prescription as I can’t find my spare set. Luckily the difference between the two prescriptions is minimal so I’m fine for now. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Self nomination. Took my glasses off to get changed from working clothes to casual wear. Sat on the bed to put on my trousers. Yes, I need a replacement pair of glasses. Currently wearing a previous prescription as I can’t find my spare set. Luckily the difference between the two prescriptions is minimal so I’m fine for now. 

Been there and done that. During bloody lockdown as well just to make life more fun.

• Like 1

Yup me, too. It was also during lockdown, I was in Aldi car park. In fact, was getting out the car when I heard a clink, I saw my glasses land on the tarmac and the next thing I'd put my foot on them and was skating across the car park. New glasses, of course. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I think it’s like dropping your bike, if you have not done it….

• Haha 2

November 2022 we have finally got ourselves a great holiday !

Carribean Island of Guadaloupe where they film the BBC series Death in Paradise.

Day 2 into the surf at a beach that was recommended called Glugny and got swamped by a wave and lost the glasses I had forgotten I was wearing.

Call to optician back home goes "Hi your not going to believe this but" Oh yes sir that happens a lot !

Very strange next few days trying to do normal things whilst being basically a bat !

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

Me once again. Though probably fairer to say " nob of the last 40 odd years "

My lazy lifestyle has come to bite me on the arse.  Raised Cholesterol level of 7.1 :shock:    I'm not massively overweight either so a bit worrying.  Time to stop eating what I want and live on Rabbit food till my levels become more normal. No more freebie food from work either!

I had got a very nice bottle of Jura for Christmas too that I was looking forward to opening :crybaby:

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

My lazy lifestyle has come to bite me on the arse.  Raised Cholesterol level of 7.1 :shock:    I'm not massively overweight either so a bit worrying.  Time to stop eating what I want and live on Rabbit food till my levels become more normal. No more freebie food from work either!

I had got a very nice bottle of Jura for Christmas too that I was looking forward to opening :crybaby:

so you can put that back in the cellar 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Pretty sure whisky doesn't add cholesterol?

• Like 3

I've been told to cut down on alcohol as it will help lower levels.  A quick Google says your liver converts alcohol into tri(something or other) and cholesterol which then goes into your bloodstream. So while whisky doesn't have any per se it's probably best I avoid for a while.

Will stick to the odd beer once a week until levels are more normal.

Think I'll start a thread to see if anyone else has had bad tests. What they did are doing etc. give me a bit of advice at least :thumb:

On 19/01/2024 at 16:49, Steve_M said:

Yep, similar. The wifes best friend sat on mine.

My fault though, I should have taken them off.

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I've been told to cut down on alcohol as it will help lower levels.  A quick Google says your liver converts alcohol into tri(something or other) and cholesterol which then goes into your bloodstream. So while whisky doesn't have any per se it's probably best I avoid for a while.

Think I'll start a thread to see if anyone else has had bad tests. What they did are doing etc. give me a bit of advice at least :thumb:

I've got similar. Was prescribed statins which I took for 6 months then gave up as I found they adversely affected me. Don't plan on living for ever and will enjoy myself in the meantime.  My grandfather made it to 86 and smoked all his life. My dad is 93 and still going. Eats what he likes and drinks rum daily. At his age he doesn't give a rat's ass.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2024 at 17:19, Yorky said:

Yep, similar. The wifes best friend sat on mine.

My fault though, I should have taken them off.

Without pictures you know it never happened !

Cheers

Ian

On 20/01/2024 at 17:11, Tiggie said:

Your better sticking to a small whiskey rather than the beer, has no carbs, sugar, fibre or fat and has half the fat of beer, you drink it quicker though 😂 triglycerides are what help to harden arteries.

You need to look to boost HDL as that balances with the bad LDL.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All the morons at Nissan!!!

Started by not returning a call for booking a service.

Then I had to call again and talk to someone who didn't have a clue what she was talking about.

Received a load of emails and text messages asking me to make a check-in for the service. (You can suck my fat "$%"£$"£%)

then today a text message that the guy would pick the car but not saying what time.

Then got a useless clip of some guy walking around the car showing me that 2 years old front discs were rusting and needed replacing.

How the phoq discs get rusty in 2 years when they are used almost every day??????

They want over 800 quid to replace the discs and rear pads wish somw shaite that will rust again in 2 years instead of proper quality ones.

I can get the front discs and pads (yes, you don't replace the discs and keep the pads) and rear pads for £150 by Brembo.

Just to show that once a Datsun, always a Datsun....

• Sad 1