What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Our local tip (aka recycling centre) is staffed by ex-Gestapo rejects and they won't take any form of tyre.

Our Local Tip take tyres, have you checked your local council waste recycling centre, if they do, just have the info on your phone ready to challenge. 

image.thumb.png.191659f5301605c0373d2741f6825c2d.png

56 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Our Local Tip take tyres, have you checked your local council waste recycling centre, if they do, just have the info on your phone ready to challenge. 

image.thumb.png.191659f5301605c0373d2741f6825c2d.png

The council website says no tyres of any sort. 

If I'm paying to get rid of them I might as well have that included with the cost of fitting them. The place where I get car tyres only charged me a fiver last time they fitted a bike tyre for me. 

Shame really, I'd prefer to do them myself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The council website says no tyres of any sort. 

If I'm paying to get rid of them I might as well have that included with the cost of fitting them. The place where I get car tyres only charged me a fiver last time they fitted a bike tyre for me. 

Shame really, I'd prefer to do them myself. 

Ah well, I suppose its Cheshire, county of the wealthy, unlike here, if the local tip didn't take them the local Knuckle draggers will set them alight and roll them down the streets. 😂 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Ah well, I suppose its Cheshire, county of the wealthy, unlike here, if the local tip didn't take them the local Knuckle draggers will set them alight and roll them down the streets. 😂 

Here in Gloucestershire it's difficult to dispose of them.Tips won't take them as of April 1st 2023. There's a lot of scallywags flytip them or chuck em in the canal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Here in Gloucestershire it's difficult to dispose of them.Tips won't take them as of April 1st 2023. There's a lot of scallywags flytip them or chuck em in the canal.

It was a regular thing a few years ago on the road between Southam and Banbury to see old tyres in the hedge every 100m or so.

I think the perpetrators were lobbing them out the side door of a moving van.

• Sad 1

Fell victim to the air coolled two stroke tickover rattle.  Fired up the DT and it sounded horrendous.  Last summer at about 150 miles since rebuild and 10 or 15 heat /cold cycles, I deemed it time to do a full throttle run to check the carburation at full chat.

An artfully carried out bodge by the previous owner made itself aparent as about a mile into my full throttle run, a large piece of sculpted exhaust filler blew out, the bike went immediately lean and lost 50% of its power.

New exhaust found and fitted and another 50 miles under its belt before getting put away for winter.

So full consternation mode.  Did it sound like that before? Have I blown the piston? Is the crank ok?

Pulled the barrel. Light scoring present above the ports and heavier below.  The upper scoring will clear with a couple of minutes with the hone, the lower probably not.  Not too concerned though.

I was expecting the piston to have showed signs of a partial seizure, but no, no scores or marks of any kind.  

The ring gap on the original rings was about 20 thou, above max allowable, but visually looked ok.

I have a new, japanese oem quality piston in stock, so tried the new rings for gap.  12 thou, the minimum allowable.

Crank is fine.  

So looks like the rings got too hot when it went lean and gripped the cylinder wall.  Subsequent running has polished away the damage to the rings, leaving them excessively worn.  Of course, since I have the new piston ready, I will fit it.

My hone, bore gauge and micrometers are at work, so I can't measure piston clearances, oval and taper till Monday.  Hope everything is still in spec after the hone.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Sad 1

Had new boots fitted. Michelin Road Pilot 6’s. Better wet grip and longevity (allegedly) over the Road Pilot 5’s. On previous bikes a new set of tyres have made an immediate sea change to the feel and handling of a bike. As of 15 miles of riding home, no discernible improvement. Ho hum. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Had new boots fitted. Michelin Road Pilot 6’s. Better wet grip and longevity (allegedly) over the Road Pilot 5’s. On previous bikes a new set of tyres have made an immediate sea change to the feel and handling of a bike. As of 15 miles of riding home, no discernible improvement. Ho hum. 

I put them on the 1290 before heading off to France last year, 1600 miles later, looked like they had never been turned, excellent in the wet, well IMO. :thumb: 

• Like 4

On 20/04/2023 at 19:14, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Our local tip (aka recycling centre) is staffed by ex-Gestapo rejects and they won't take any form of tyre.

Tyre, old petrol, charges for rubble (2' square of plaster board that will be £10), you need to register your car reg plate prior to going (so no hire vehicles), make an appointment, arrive on time to join the qué, your trailer has to be the right size, park where instructed not near the convenient bin , you cannot recycle your oven before your fridge (no I am serious I had to take the fridge out of car  to recycle an oven then put the fridge back in the car before driving 20' to recycle that).

They are basically only interested in stuff they can take out of your car boot and put in the blue container to sell to car boot sale traders.

That way they can say they recycle 99% of waste. 

What they don't accept then gets  dumped in local lanes or in our case national park.

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/news/amp/new-forest-rangers-despair-as-fly-tippers-strike-three-times-in-24-hours-9152941/

It still goes on.

I can only guess the staff are married to the local "Medical Receptionist"  or as we know them, Dr's receptionists. Then have have regular socials and conferences to find new ways to make people's lives more miserable.

Back on subject:

Another use for old tyres put them on the box in your front garden that you keep your lawn mower in.

We bought our house and didn't look in the unlocked storage box topped with a couple of old tyres for several weeks ( expecting more junk).  Then found we had a by then a much needed free lawn mower.  This security measure has now successfully guarded 3 lawn mowers.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, onesea said:

Tyre, old petrol, charges for rubble (2' square of plaster board that will be £10), you need to register your car reg plate prior to going (so no hire vehicles), make an appointment, arrive on time to join the qué, your trailer has to be the right size, park where instructed not near the convenient bin , you cannot recycle your oven before your fridge (no I am serious I had to take the fridge out of car  to recycle an oven then put the fridge back in the car before driving 20' to recycle that).

They are basically only interested in stuff they can take out of your car boot and put in the blue container to sell to car boot sale traders.

That way they can say they recycle 99% of waste. 

What they don't accept then gets  dumped in local lanes or in our case national park.

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/news/amp/new-forest-rangers-despair-as-fly-tippers-strike-three-times-in-24-hours-9152941/

It still goes on.

I can only guess the staff are married to the local "Medical Receptionist"  or as we know them, Dr's receptionists. Then have have regular socials and conferences to find new ways to make people's lives more miserable.

Back on subject:

Another use for old tyres put them on the box in your front garden that you keep your lawn mower in.

We bought our house and didn't look in the unlocked storage box topped with a couple of old tyres for several weeks ( expecting more junk).  Then found we had a by then a much needed free lawn mower.  This security measure has now successfully guarded 3 lawn mowers.

Our doctor's surgery doesn't have 'receptionists' anymore. We are now directed to a 'Care Navigator'.

Their role seems to remain the same, to make sure you never get to see a doctor.

Our daughter lives in Wales and I was helping her clear some stuff a few weeks ago. So I went to their local tip expecting the usual extration of fingernails and several minutes of waterboarding. It was quite a shock to be greet by three blokes who were genuinely helpful and made life much more pleasant. Their recycling rate is slightly higher than our local tip so there's no need for the hostile attitude.

• Like 2

Full day in the garage.

Started by changing the oil and filter on the Kwak 250, done almost 2000 miles on it since Jan. Things are much easier with a spin on filter.

Then moved onto the R1. Went to a work colleagues funeral yesterday and a group of us followed the hearse on bikes. The weather was pretty wet and we got soaked, I'm sure Carl was up there laughing at us.... It got fairly dirty so gave it a wash.

First time I've riden the R1 since January, felt pretty rusty on it for a few miles but f@k does it shift when I opened it up.

Next was the RGV, finished the brakes off and took the fairing off the clean it all up. Although I've never riden it in the rain, the dirt on the engine and frame was considerable. Changed the engine oil, I've only done 464 miles since the engine rebuild but that was over 5 years ago. Keep finding bits on it I want to spruce up or replace but where do you stop?

20230422_121531.JPEG

20230422_133026-1.JPEG

20230422_140707.JPEG

20230422_142349.JPEG

20230422_153614-1.JPEG

20230422_153538.JPEG

• Like 6

On 20/04/2023 at 20:50, Stu said:

Local waste recycling place takes them here 

“Recycling” centres in Warwickshire won’t take anything if they get away with it. 🙄🤬

35 minutes ago, JRH said:

“Recycling” centres in Warwickshire won’t take anything if they get away with it. 🙄🤬

It's just encouraging people to go fly tipping 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

It's just encouraging people to go fly tipping 

Absolutely true. When the tip used to take tyres you never or rarely saw tyres in the hedgerows. Now it's almost every time I'm out. So now either the land owner has to or more likely the council anyway gets stuck with the costs. Daft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bianco2564 said:

Full day in the garage.

Started by changing the oil and filter on the Kwak 250, done almost 2000 miles on it since Jan. Things are much easier with a spin on filter.

Then moved onto the R1. Went to a work colleagues funeral yesterday and a group of us followed the hearse on bikes. The weather was pretty wet and we got soaked, I'm sure Carl was up there laughing at us.... It got fairly dirty so gave it a wash.

First time I've riden the R1 since January, felt pretty rusty on it for a few miles but f@k does it shift when I opened it up.

Next was the RGV, finished the brakes off and took the fairing off the clean it all up. Although I've never riden it in the rain, the dirt on the engine and frame was considerable. Changed the engine oil, I've only done 464 miles since the engine rebuild but that was over 5 years ago. Keep finding bits on it I want to spruce up or replace but where do you stop?

20230422_121531.JPEG

20230422_133026-1.JPEG

20230422_140707.JPEG

20230422_142349.JPEG

20230422_153614-1.JPEG

20230422_153538.JPEG

Rgvs still look amazing to this day well worth all ur fettling 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Absolutely true. When the tip used to take tyres you never or rarely saw tyres in the hedgerows. Now it's almost every time I'm out. So now either the land owner has to or more likely the council anyway gets stuck with the costs. Daft.

Our council, for the what they are worth, have been pro active in combating fly tipping. However, they do take all waste, asbestos, tyres etc but plasterboard,  the amount of checks prior takes a forever and it is  banned from landfill  

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

Rgvs still look amazing to this day well worth all ur fettling 

Totally agree, 2 strokes race reps of this era look and sound fantastic.

RGV, TZR, NSR, KRIS, RS,  never see the likes of them again (for a good reason though, smoke and fuel consumption are not great features).

• Like 2

Rode it. From Yorkshire to Portavadie where my boat is. Seemed to have every sort of weather including hail storm. Which was actually slightly scary as my visor completely turned white. And I was on the M6 at the time doing 70ish. Might have been the M74. Not sure … anyway I’m at my boat now and quite a nice evening 

• Like 2

And my new gear was great. There is a story to my new gear. So my biking partner is the local vicar. And he had been gifted some gear. From a parishioner that was learning to ride. Had bought all the gear. And fell off during his lessons. Vowed never to get on a bike again and gifted the gear to Wilf. And when I mentioned to Wilf my stuff wasn’t  keeping me dry. It came to me. I do feel slightly guilty about this

Edited by Davidtav
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Davidtav said:

And my new gear was great. There is a story to my new gear. So my biking partner is the local vicar. And he had been gifted some gear. From a parishioner that was learning to ride. Had bought all the gear. And fell off during his lessons. Vowed never to get on a bike again and gifted the gear to Wilf. And when I mentioned to Wilf my stuff wasn’t  keeping me dry. It came to me. I do feel slightly guilty about this

Never trust the local vicar.

I say this with some authority on the subject. Devious buggers. They have to be to survive the job. 

• Haha 3