Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

My day did not start well.

We have a group that meet for breakfast monthly. So I arrived anticipating a nice full English. But the restaurant was closed due to the pipes being frozen. 

Ah well, back home for bowl of cereal.

I knew we were low on milk but my wife called at the shop on her way home yesterday. But there's no milk in the fridge.

She'd left it in the car boot. So it's frozen solid. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 4

Been the the hospital gym today for my 2nd of 3 inductions to post cardiac recivery. Until a year ago I used to take my fitness seriously. I felt like I'd never exercised 12 minutes total today of cardio stuff I ache all over. Onwards and upwards though hopefully another month or so and I'll be in a better physical place. 

• Like 4

Some sad news for us, my father died yesterday. He was a good man and will be greatly missed. He had 64 years married to my Mum. As a young man he worked in Delamere Forest and lodged in Norley. With his mates three of them would go by motorbike and sidecar to the cinema in Northwich. One riding, one in the sidecar and one perched on the rear mudguard. No helmets of course. I suspect you wouldn't get away with that these days.

He spent most of his life teaching woodwork and metalwork in a Liverpool school near Anfield and Goodison Park. Most of the lads weren't interested in school but he could teach them skills that got them into a trade. One of his joys was meeting a young man in town with his family, and the guy would tell him that he had a job and a home and could support his family on the skills my father had taught him.

With my Mum being in hospital for 8 weeks recently we spent a lot of time with Dad, he got to meet his new great-granddaughter and by the skin of our teeth (and a possible speeding ticket) we got Mum home so they had 8 days together. 

He often spoke of his days working in the forest. Living in the woods over the summer because it wasn't worth going home. Deep snow in the winter. Seeing a fox go one way then telling the following hunt it went the other way. As kids we went every year for a Christmas tree, he would find one of his mates and we'd go off into the woods with an axe and choose our tree. I have an old clock one of his forest mates swapped with him for a tin of tobacco.

He was a man of faith and death holds no fears for him. He was a great father.

• Like 9
  • Sad 4