Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Totally pissed off. Just found out that due to my opposite number being a Russian I won't be able to rejoin my ship until around Christmas at the earliest.  Also means I'll be off pay from end of November which is really annoying. Not getting screwed the way Ukrainians are but still enough. Bloody Putin!

On the plus side I'll get my bike out from storage on Wednesday so in decent weather can cheer myself up and also drag myself back to Northumberland to support my Dad. 

• Like 2

Yesterday was not a good day, or night. My mum who was still in hospital after a fall three weeks ago was found to have very low hemoglobin levels that were falling.

Due to the lack of beds the only way to get her treated was to go back via A&E so when I got there she was on a trolley in a corridor. They reckoned it would be 24 hours before she could be seen. It was carnage. Imagine a disaster movie showing the critical incident response in a hospital. It's like that every day. 

The ambulance park was rammed with ambulances going nowhere because the crews were all sat in the corridors with patients waiting for them to be received.

The staff were absolutely brilliant. I can't praise them enough. But the system is completely broken. 

Fortunately, if that is right word, she was so ill the A&E doctor said she needed blood transfusions which they can't do on a corridor so she was wheeled past a line of 30+ people on trollies and put into Majors to be treated. 

You see newspaper articles every now again making some drama out of an elderly person stuck in a corridor at hospital as if it's something extraordinary. It is not. It is 24/7 in hospitals these days. It's a disgrace.

I'll say it again, the staff were incredible. But they can't keep working in those conditions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Morning!

Sat in meetings this morning, with not a lot to say as it's all the commercial guff. In short, hospitals have just learnt what removing gas boilers and replacing them with heat pumps is going to do to their electricity bill. You would have thought it was obvious when I've been trying to get around not increasing the sites main incomer. This kit is going to leave them on a knife edge, they put so much as half a dozen EV chargers in and they'll blackout the site :classic_wacko:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Morning!

Sat in meetings this morning, with not a lot to say as it's all the commercial guff. In short, hospitals have just learnt what removing gas boilers and replacing them with heat pumps is going to do to their electricity bill. You would have thought it was obvious when I've been trying to get around not increasing the sites main incomer. This kit is going to leave them on a knife edge, they put so much as half a dozen EV chargers in and they'll blackout the site :classic_wacko:

Progress ehhh. 

My niece announced she was getting  electric car  where you charging it, on the street hmm what with, extension and 13amp socket. 

Told her the three things that's going to happen 

1 Some one will swipe the cable. 

2 Little twats will snap off the charge port door and if not already gone will swipe the cable

3 she won't be driving it after day 4 because almost 40hrs to charge via house socket 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Morning!

This is as interesting as it is bonkers... I guess they're still heating with water at 60C? Which means a heat pump operating on a temperature gradient of 50C or more in winter? Which means efficiencies around 200%? Which means heating costs increasing 50% based on current prices? 

I am off the mark here, or is it really as obviously a brain-dead idea as I'm making it out to be?

22 minutes ago, bonio said:

This is as interesting as it is bonkers... I guess they're still heating with water at 60C? Which means a heat pump operating on a temperature gradient of 50C or more in winter? Which means efficiencies around 200%? Which means heating costs increasing 50% based on current prices? 

I am off the mark here, or is it really as obviously a brain-dead idea as I'm making it out to be?

Usually between 70-80C. One of the sites I'm working at requires 80 degrees. 

The heat pump is a cascade system, it's an air source heat pump that feeds the primary side of the water source heat pump, maintaining 35 degree inlet temperature so the water source pump set can produce 80 degree at the outlet. (83 actual, but 80 on the other side of the plate heat exchanger)

The manufacturers are all like "It can achieve a COP of 3". And 3kW's of heat for every 1kW of electricity sounds great until you realise it can only manage that with an ambient outside temperature of over 20 degrees (closer to 25). In winter, the air source pump has to work overtime, and it's oversize to operate in temperatures as low as -5. But I calculated the COP could reduce to 1.3 in the darkest parts of winter, or 130% efficiency when you have your highest heat demand. It's carbon efficient... But cost efficient?

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Progress ehhh. 

My niece announced she was getting  electric car  where you charging it, on the street hmm what with, extension and 13amp socket. 

Told her the three things that's going to happen 

1 Some one will swipe the cable. 

2 Little twats will snap off the charge port door and if not already gone will swipe the cable

3 she won't be driving it after day 4 because almost 40hrs to charge via house socket 😂 

Hahaa! Dumb EV car owners!

... *Tries to cancel Cupra Born order*

• Haha 1

Might just be me, but "Air Source Heat Pump" sounds about as believable as "Perpetual Motion Machine".

Bit of a chill in the air? You'll never guess where we can source some heat from to warm it up...

13 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Might just be me, but "Air Source Heat Pump" sounds about as believable as "Perpetual Motion Machine".

Bit of a chill in the air? You'll never guess where we can source some heat from to warm it up...

No they fine, you just need cheap electric 🤔