New Rider (Potentially) advice needed

Hi all, I am considering completing a CBT to enable me to ride my 125 on L plates and commute to work local trips etc. Whilst I have been around cars, Bicycles and other vehicles all my life ( I'm 41) Riding a motorcycle on the road is something new to me which is making me excited but anxious.... I have a 125 Honda which I have ridden round the garden so I am aware of what the controls do and I am looking to book a 1:1 taster session before my CBT to hopefully increase my confidence. Is there any other advice to be offered to help me on my way?

Rich

The first part of the CBT is riding around a car park or similar, doing clutch control and low speed maneuvers around some cones, you already seem to be doing this minus the cones in your garden.

The main bit on the road riding, will only happen if the instructor thinks you will be safe enough.

just go for it :lol: :thumb:

I'm not sure if it's still running but there used to be a scheme called Get On, where you could get a short taster session to see if biking was going to be for you before committing. Google it to see if it's still running.

Do your cbt then go find a big car park and practice on the bike , get your confidence built before you head off into rush hour traffic.

Or do it the other way, do your CBT, it took me 2 attempts but I learned a fair bit.

Then buy a bike and head of into rush hour traffic through your local city, to get it home.

After that ride I was much less nervous. .

Just so you know, it will escalate.

You'll pass CBT.

Then you'll think..mmm I'd like to get rid of my L plates.

You'll do theory, then realise you might as well do big bike test. You'll do lessons on a 650, and quite like the power.

You'll pass the test and then get a bigger bike.

How do I know? Exactly one year ago I was wondering about doing my CBT, now I've sold the 125 and got a bigger bike. I had no intention to do anything other than potter about on a 125.

Go straight for cbt! That way you will know if if you need to, work on any areas of your riding. If you don't pass then you know you need more training and another cbt. The reason for passing is there for a reason, to make sure you are safe to ride on the road. If you understand how roads work (which you do) this will make your cbt on the road easier and more fun.

You say you've been around bicycles and cars so you've got a lot of what's needed already. You know how two wheels handle and you've got experience of traffic. The skill of riding a motorcycle is like learning to drive a car - in part.

First bit is that when you start you're putting a lot of focus into the mechanics of handling the machine, with practice that then become second nature.

Second bit is that unlike a car a motorcycle requires far more involvement and concentration that driving a car. So long as you remember that motorcycles need far more rider input and awareness than driving a car you'll be on the side of staying safe.

With the history you've got you can focus on handling the motorcycle rather than a total beginner who is coping with learning how two wheels handle, road sense and the motorcycle controls.

Enjoy.

Another for the get the CBT done, as it says its basic training. You do get to practice in the carpark space they have and learn to feel the bike. When i did mine they had me doing a figure of 8 and slow riding before we did the 2 hour road ride. It will open your eyes and you will be fine. Knowing the road etc will help loads.

get it done once Boris lets ya