Ipone chain cleaner - not great

jedibiker

Hi, I saw a video on youtube where every cleaner was tested. Ipone came out on top. Although testing was kind of lab based, the win was based on no harm to the chain etc.

But as a grease remover, its no better than most. Infact I used a large tin at £14.99 to do 2 chains. thats it. A tin of muc off usually does 2 chains easy enough at around £8.

On the newer chain it was ok, and it is clean. I guess we dont see if its protecting O/X rings etc. I just thought it was pricey for what it is..

these wizz bang ideas are nothing more than a carefully constructed money making scam.

rather than watch YT videos.. the best idea is to do what the people who design and produce these chains advise as far as maintenance is concerned. they keep it very simple. and also very cheap. Paraffin to clean. and gearbox oil to lubricate. thats all there is to it.

I would guess the cost for me to clean AND lubricate the chain on my bike is somewhere in the region of 10p each time.

10004211_800_2.jpg.aa89583f09537bbab071753b0492d9f9.jpg

I use one of these in the winter with some. Paraffin and does a good job to get any ground in crud off

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/kettenmax-louis-edition-chain-clean-lube-device/10003114

that looks good. does your chain last long, O rings etc?

I must admit, the video did suggest these are mostly a gimmick but some do a good job. However, speaking with life long riders I keep hearing the same thing about not cleaning often, lubing up regular etc. The did chain manual does say it all.

The only thing with gear oil is doesnt it fling all over? i dont want to spend around £10 to clean and lube the chain every 200/300 miles.. (cleaner £8, lube £10)

cheers

I use one of these in the winter with some. Paraffin and does a good job to get any ground in crud off

https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/kettenmax-louis-edition-chain-clean-lube-device/10003114

that looks good. does your chain last long, O rings etc?

I must admit, the video did suggest these are mostly a gimmick but some do a good job. However, speaking with life long riders I keep hearing the same thing about not cleaning often, lubing up regular etc. The did chain manual does say it all.

The only thing with gear oil is doesnt it fling all over? i dont want to spend around £10 to clean and lube the chain every 200/300 miles.. (cleaner £8, lube £10)

cheers

So far so good and I don't clean it that often when I do I run paraffin through the cleaner and as others just use gear oil after

• 1 year later...

Of the bike cleaners I've used, I consider this bike chain cleaner from Anndason is the top chain cleaner due to its precise cleaning ability. Every brush type is designed to fit a particular bike part, so even hard-to-reach areas become easily accessible. In detail, there is cleaning gear for tires, chains, wheels, and sprockets.

Edited by Henrry07