Hot beverages

S-Westerly

21 hours ago, husoi said:

Well....

Now I feel cheated. I don't drink coffee. :classic_wacko:

But I take a lot of abuse here. Even worse when I start winding up people... :P 

Are you the only Portuguese who doesn't  drink coffee?:shock:

15 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

There is a huge difference between coffee and Portuguese espresso :) 

Every time I'm visiting Portugal I binge on espresso, "bica" as it is known or "cimbalino" (pronounced with s) up north in Porto. :thumb: 

Is the instant coffee that I stopped having

• Like 1

Just now, husoi said:

There is a huge difference between coffee and Portuguese espresso :) 

Every time I'm visiting Portugal I binge on espresso, "bica" as it is known or "cimbalino" (pronounced with s) up north in Porto. :thumb: 

Is the instant coffee that I stopped having

Well you are not alone there - I've not drunk instant coffee for 40 years; foul stuff.

• Like 1

And to think that years ago Britain would have the best coffee :) 

Was when you guys succumbed to the americanism of instant coffee that you ruined it :classic_blink: 

1 minute ago, husoi said:

And to think that years ago Britain would have the best coffee :) 

Was when you guys succumbed to the americanism of instant coffee that you ruined it :classic_blink: 

I suppose when Lloyd's and such were coffee houses the stuff may have been okay although I believe it was more in the style of Turkish coffee then. I'll agree that most American coffee is pretty vile though there are exceptions as always.

• Like 1

In the uk I have an inexpensive espresso maker for espresso and Americanos. I also use an aeropress which is excellent for a long black coffee. 

Diapositiva2.thumb.jpeg.5541d106680334c3666cd4a015f0bce5.jpeg

I'm not fussy about the beans, as long as it's strong (keep adding more until it is). I used to grind my own beans but I can't be bothered. I don't like fancy coffee that takes like oranges yuk. 

In Turkey I use a cafetiere daily and sometimes have Turkish coffee 

Screenshot_20201202-115908_Gallery.thumb.jpg.b6c9b7d31a91a54c8ba3e785e39e1f86.jpg

Hot and wet is good enough for me...

Although I was always perplexed when flying home Varig from Brazil, after the meal when I got a coffee I always asked for a whiskey to go in it.  You would receive an egg cup sized cup of strong coffee, and a mug sized shot of whisky to go in it I never complained...

Then flying from Trinidad they only ever had Rum, luckily I am not one to complain. 

• Like 1

When I say espresso or "bica" as it is known in my country this is what I mean

bica.jpg.f56001b789d69830b5ed141b8c22f97e.jpg

A very strong usually short shot of coffee with a 2mm layer of creamy foam. These small cups are usually filled to 2/3 for a normal espresso and 1/2 for a short one.

The care cafe shops go through to ensure their espresso is the best is quite extensive.

Usually the cups, sugar packets, grinder, espresso machine and coffee is supplied by the manufacturer. There is normally a contract for the supply and maintenance.

There is a very fine tuning of both the grinder and the espresso machine to produce a good quality espresso and this is done at least once a month being the top quality places services every week.

Make no mistake, if the quality is not very good customers will walk away to the cafe next door. It is normal to have 3 or 4 cafes together in healthy competition so we do have plenty choice.

Lastly :) espresso in Portugal is like facebook and Instagram, is the reason for people to get together. This for work, leisure or family gathering.

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I with Worzel on this one. 
Cups of tea n slices of cake. 
Is better than an oily puddle of coffee in a dolls house cup. 

Have you tried it?

18 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Are you really Portuguese @husoi? I've been reading all your posts with a Scots accent. Pity I ought to stop, cos they sound great that way.

• Haha 1

Aye, Portuguese :P Lisbon born many many years ago.

UK. London since 2003

Scotland since 2008

I daniken what ye mean about my scot accent :P 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Have you tried it?

No not the bica you speak of but I’ve tried espresso in many places and a shorter version up a mountain in France which was almost enjoyable (I assume it was a ristretto but I’m sure it began with a ‘B’) but as much as I’d like to enjoy it I don’t. Coffee is for my tastes too strongly flavoured but also horrible when weak. Made well it kinda slaps your taste buds and coats your tongue, tango for grown ups, the sort of thing that goes down well with people who prefer robustly flavoured food and smokers who always need the flavour amped up to get over their tar coating. 

Then again about 5 years ago I was slightly addicted to coffee, loved my aeropress for work n travel, have a machine at home, another in the office and even carried Harvey Nics coffee bags if I got on a flight! Then one day I realised it was the caffeine I loved not the coffee and like all substances the moment they’re in charge of you you have to cut them out. That’s a headache I never want to experience again, like a vice on your head!

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

No not the bica you speak of but I’ve tried espresso in many places and a shorter version up a mountain in France which was almost enjoyable (I assume it was a ristretto but I’m sure it began with a ‘B’) but as much as I’d like to enjoy it I don’t. Coffee is for my tastes too strongly flavoured but also horrible when weak. Made well it kinda slaps your taste buds and coats your tongue, tango for grown ups, the sort of thing that goes down well with people who prefer robustly flavoured food and smokers who always need the flavour amped up to get over their tar coating. 

Then again about 5 years ago I was slightly addicted to coffee, loved my aeropress for work n travel, have a machine at home, another in the office and even carried Harvey Nics coffee bags if I got on a flight! Then one day I realised it was the caffeine I loved not the coffee and like all substances the moment they’re in charge of you you have to cut them out. That’s a headache I never want to experience again, like a vice on your head!

Fair due. Not everybody likes coffee similar to not every person will like pink.

We all have different tastes :thumb:

33 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Works overrated.. a bit like coffee :classic_biggrin:  :seeya:

I'll agree with work but most definitely not the coffee. I've just made a large long black using Santa Petronas beans from El Salvador. No sugar, no milk. I'm past redemption.  

But tea - nasty tannin sour bitter drink fit only to swig down with over sweet cakes. And as for breakfast :twisted:

• Haha 1

Just now, husoi said:

OOIIII!!!!

Leave my tea alone @S-Westerly :classic_angry:

Not only it can be delicious it can have (proven) health benefits.

Of course, I'm not talking about the black crap you brits so much love :P 

I'll drink green tea or Chinese gunpowder (smoked Black tea not quite Earl Grey).