Touring Bike Advice

Andriko

13 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

True ... buts it's easy for you or anyone to critique people in a negative manner ... go and have an adventure ... take risk ... but just have an adventure ..... My life has been in pursuit of adventure  .... and it fits with families .... go and do something ..

You assume I haven’t. I’ll leave it there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

Possibly genuine contenders for TOTY ... actual high milage riders ...  rather than "virtual" Bikers ... The amount of time some people are on this site means their not getting astride the mighty throbbing motorcycle very often ..... :classic_biggrin:

i would rather give up biking than ride that fooking thing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Deported?! Is that a bucket list or something that’s could happen?

Well I'm here on a marital visa that needs renewing in May and there's a small matter of getting divorced, so unless they decide to be real generous then I probably have issues :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

they do sell Himalayan’s in America?!

Yeah but honestly if I do get to stay I'd sooner buy one of the more tried and tested Japanese big thumpers. Whenever I get round to doing my US license, that is :P

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Also what the hell you’ve been here since forever?

They give you a temporary visa if you haven't been married long when you first move over, then you get moved to a permanent one once you've stuck around a while and proven it wasn't a sham. Sadly things went south shortly before I hit that mark!

35 minutes ago, Six30 said:

i would rather give up biking than ride that fooking thing.

Go on then ... do it ... you know you want to ..... :classic_biggrin::classic_laugh: .... but i see your point .... i'd rather be cycling  that route ......

9 minutes ago, RantMachine said:

Yeah but honestly if I do get to stay I'd sooner buy one of the more tried and tested Japanese big thumpers. Whenever I get round to doing my US license, that is :P

They give you a temporary visa if you haven't been married long when you first move over, then you get moved to a permanent one once you've stuck around a while and proven it wasn't a sham. Sadly things went south shortly before I hit that mark!

and no chance of a deal? 😬

40 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

You assume I haven’t. I’ll leave it there. 

I think my usual lack of empathy is a problem here .... sorry ..

Adventure should never be in the past tense  ..."  I haven't " ....  I try to make it my next thing to do ... Small adventures ... often ...

On the Winter Solstice, 21st of this month i'm having a mini adventure ,,, cycling from Doncaster to York and back between dawn and dusk ....

When we stop having adventures its time for the nappies and the drooling ....

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

and no chance of a deal? 😬

Ehh, in theory I could try for a work visa as a backup, seeing as I'm pretty senior at my work I'd probably have a good shot, but honestly I do miss England at times. If they make it a hassle for me, I may not bother fighting with them. Although, might not be the best time to return home...

Edited by RantMachine
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RantMachine said:

Ehh, in theory I could try for a work visa as a backup, seeing as I'm pretty senior at my work I'd probably have a good shot, but honestly I do miss England at times. If they make it a hassle for me, I may not bother fighting with them. Although, might not be the best time to return home...

Yeh that’s a tough call. I dunno. Sometimes I can’t be bothered with stuff and then have to make a much bigger effort later to rectify it or discover that an options now removed because I didn’t comply with A B C. 

I’m lying a little bit I now always do whatever’s needed immediately to save pain in the future. I used to not bother. Suppose it depends if it would make things easier in the future. 

36 minutes ago, RantMachine said:

I wasn't aware Ollie! Good Luck with whatever happens! :thumb:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RantMachine said:

Why not try for the work visa anyway? It doesn't stop you returning to England; it just allows you to do so at a time that suits you. 

Or would the workplace ask for a commitment for you to stay on for a few years?

14 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Possibly genuine contenders for TOTY ... actual high milage riders ...  rather than "virtual" Bikers ... The amount of time some people are on this site means their not getting astride the mighty throbbing motorcycle very often ..... :classic_biggrin:

Edited by fastbob
Double post .

32 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Why do I keep expecting the camera to cut to Sid James lurking in the bushes ? Phwoaaar ! 

There is a reason why that never took of

Look at those ludicrous shorts... :laugh:

9 hours ago, fastbob said:

Why do I keep expecting the camera to cut to Sid James lurking in the bushes ? Phwoaaar ! 

its so simple even a women cant put it together :lol:

why did women have pointy tits back then ?

Guest Swagman
4 hours ago, Six30 said:

its so simple even a women cant put it together :lol:

why did women have pointy tits back then ?

Playtex cross your heart bras.

Edited by Swagman

4 hours ago, Six30 said:

@RantMachine so what will Glorian do, stay out there if you come back ? sorry it didn't work out for you both.

Can't help that I still regularly take the piss for his posts when he first joined the form despite it being the better part of a decade ago.

Glorian.png

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’m new to the forum and possibly a bit late to this party. Hopefully my 2 penny worth will help rather than hinder, though.

You can tour on any size bike. Though if you’re on limited time to get to, say, Austria, I’d discount anything that can’t cruise all day at 130kph (so a minimum 509cc, I guess).

If you do need to cruise at 130kph all day, don’t do it with a naked bike. Get one with a half decent fairing or else you’re going to be a bit battered at the end of each day.

Pillions are great (is mine watching me type this, I ask). Really handy for paying tolls, saving you having the hassle of taking gloves off, digging the money out, paying, etc. etc. Also, sitting in a bar or eating your evening meal alone is boring after a few days. 

We’re not “credit card and a change of underpants” tourers, so we tend to carry a lot of kit. Make sure your luggage capacity is adequate (what to take is a whole different topic). We have around 100 litres of luggage, a mate manages with a tank bag. I always ride upwind of him after a few days on the road.

A personal preference is for a bike with a low CoG and hides its weight well at slow speeds and on the move. The ST1100 was good in those terms, the FJR1300 less so. My current bike, the BMW R1200 GS is also good at that. 

As mentioned before, try a few bike. Do not ignore bikes like the 500CC or NC750 Hondas, they are remarkably competent. 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 2