Touring Bike Advice

Andriko

5 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I’m new to the forum and possibly a bit late to this party. Hopefully my 2 penny worth will help rather than hinder, though.

You can tour on any size bike. Though if you’re on limited time to get to, say, Austria, I’d discount anything that can’t cruise all day at 130kph (so a minimum 509cc, I guess).

If you do need to cruise at 130kph all day, don’t do it with a naked bike. Get one with a half decent fairing or else you’re going to be bettered at the end of each day.

Pillions are great (is mine watching me type this, I ask). Really handy for paying tolls, saving you having the hassle of taking gloves off, digging the money out, paying, etc. etc. Also, sitting in a bar or eating your evening meal alone is boring after a few days. 

We’re not “credit card and a change of underpants” tourers, so we tend to carry a lot of kit. Make sure your luggage capacity is adequate (what to take is a whole different topic). We have around 100 litres of luggage, a mate manages with a tank bag. I always ride upwind of him after a few days on the road.

A personal preference is for a bike with a low CoG and hides its weight well at slow speeds and on the move. The ST1100 was good in those terms, the FJR1300 less so. My current bike, the BMW R1200 GS is also good at that. 

As mentioned before, try a few bike. Do not ignore bikes like the 500CC or NC750 Hondas, they are remarkably competent. 

disagree with dont do it on a naked bike , done loads on naked's , no problem , suppose it depends on how much of a woosy you are.

8 minutes ago, Six30 said:

disagree with dont do it on a naked bike , done loads on naked's , no problem , suppose it depends on how much of a woosy you are.

You can, indeed, do it on a naked bike. Each to their own...

For preference, though, I wouldn’t. As for woosy? You called? 😂😂😂

I speak from seeing a mate being absolutely knackered after a day’s motorway riding a naked Hornet 900 on a trip to France. He changed to a VFR800 for the next trip (to Andorra) and was fine. 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

Just now, Six30 said:

Maybe we're blurring the lines between touring and long distance riding . The point of touring for me is to find the best roads with the most stunning views and enjoy every mile . Speed and power can actually become a dangerous encumbrance once you are in amongst unfamiliar twistys . Faired , naked , cruiser , commuter , whatever . It makes no difference to me . 

• Like 1

Just now, fastbob said:

Maybe we're blurring the lines between touring and long distance riding . The point of touring for me is to find the best roads with the most stunning views and enjoy every mile . Speed and power can actually become a dangerous encumbrance once you are in amongst unfamiliar twistys . Faired , naked , cruiser , commuter , whatever . It makes no difference to me . 

I was, of course, referring to the days we describe as “transition days”. Getting from Hook of Holland, say, to the Black Forest so you can spend more time enjoying the twisty, scenic, roads. 

7 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

I was, of course, referring to the days we describe as “transition days”. Getting from Hook of Holland, say, to the Black Forest so you can spend more time enjoying the twisty, scenic, roads. 

This is an important aspect of touring! 

Its not always jumping on a bike and taking a bimble around the UK 

When we go to Germany our first day off the ferry is a 250 mile day and I wouldn't want to do it on a naked bike! 

Good  Planning. It’s 255 miles from the tunnel to our hotel.  I couldn’t care less if people have a naked bike. All that I ask is that their bike is capable of motorway speeds. And they can manage 65 miles in one go... as that is the longest leg of the ride across.

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

You can, indeed, do it on a naked bike. Each to their own...

For preference, though, I wouldn’t. As for woosy? You called? 😂😂😂

I speak from seeing a mate being absolutely knackered after a day’s motorway riding a naked Hornet 900 on a trip to France. He changed to a VFR800 for the next trip (to Andorra) and was fine. 

tell your mate i said he is a woosey  :thumb: 

only tell him if he is  old little and weak in case i ever bump in to him.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

This is an important aspect of touring! 

Its not always jumping on a bike and taking a bimble around the UK 

When we go to Germany our first day off the ferry is a 250 mile day and I wouldn't want to do it on a naked bike! 

woosey

• Sad 1

I would suggest take your time and test ride some bikes before you buy (if you can) just be mindful you need something to take you and your Mrs and all your 💩 with you and watch the weight. 

I could tour on the little MT but I couldn't take the Mrs. 😃

3 minutes ago, Pie man said:

I would suggest take your time and test ride some bikes before you buy (if you can) just be mindful you need something to take you and your Mrs and all your 💩 with you and watch the weight. 

I could tour on the little MT but I couldn't take the Mrs. 😃

or if you have a lot of luggage a goldwing trike should fit the bill :classic_smile:

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Piss off! I have practically visited your lad in Poland!!

That was then! This is now! You can't be judged on past glories Stu!

@Gerontious is the main man in this department.......and @raesewell gets about a bit too......correcting Johnny Foreigner's spelling en-route as well I'd wager!

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

That was then! This is now! You can't be judged on past glories Stu!

@Gerontious is the main man in this department.......and @raesewell gets about a bit too......correcting Johnny Foreigner's spelling en-route as well I'd wager!

So I miss a year due to illness and China and this is how you punish me!! 

I don't think its fair to pick on the disabled.................

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, XTreme said:

Touring?

You Casuals (that doesn't include @Gerontious obviously) never get out of your own postcodes!

Austin Powers Reaction GIF

ark at Mr i went into the next town.... but didn't ride  much cause i kept stopping  took about 80 photos.

Edited by Six30
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

So I miss a year due to illness and China and this is how you punish me!! 

I don't think its fair to pick on the disabled.................

I can only remember you going to that gay parade in Benidorm Stu? :classic_laugh:

2 minutes ago, XTreme said:

I can only remember you going to that gay parade in Benidorm Stu? :classic_laugh:

That was in 2012!! 

And for my father in laws 70th! 

Germany, Poland and your home country to name a few :thumb:

2016-07-01 11.07.37.jpg

2015-05-05 13.42.08.jpg

IMG_20190627_144908.jpg

• Like 1