When you have too many gadgets...

husoi

On 01/01/2021 at 13:08, Gerontious said:

It starts at $75 US so, PayPal makes that simpler, he does plug and play looms for various bikes if you want that too. Then there’s import duty and VAT.  Something we will likely have to start getting used to again.  All in looking at circa £100. I’m still umming  and aahing 

I bought the PC8 many years ago, great bit of kit, also bought the headlight upgrade for the Strom I owned at the time. I have used this on both the Strom and BMW, excellent quality and well made. (Err I Still have the PC8 if anyone is interested 🤔)

20210101_133543.jpg

Edited by Pie man

3 hours ago, Bender said:

It's not a horrendous price.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/341331

Similar and probably easier to return 

One hundred fecking quid???? are you insane? I can make a whole weekend on that money :P 

Mine was made of bit and bobs I had in the garage but, even if I had to buy it would be around £20 or less.

31 minutes ago, husoi said:

One hundred fecking quid???? are you insane? I can make a whole weekend on that money :P 

Mine was made of bit and bobs I had in the garage but, even if I had to buy it would be around £20 or less.

It wasn't aimed at you though 😁 

Just now, TimR

Only issue i haveis having everything running off that 1 point is ...if that 1 point stops working 

That will be the same problem as if the battery dies.
Tupperware off and fix it. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, husoi said:

Thats a relay, if you have the heated grips they would have a switch already.

Unless you want both.

Yeah just want them to only power when ignition is on.. Not sure if they have a slight drain too.. thanks

Just now, jedibiker said:

Yeah just want them to only power when ignition is on.. Not sure if they have a slight drain too.. thanks

The relay will only become active when the power is on.

the 2 contacts that connect to the coil will be one to (-) ground the other to the ignition (85).

the other 3 are

1 to battery (30), 1 to the device you want to connect (87) and the other will be left disconnected (87a).

Difference between 87a and 87 is that one is open contact at rest and the other is closed at rest. You want to connect to the one open at rest. :thumb: 

I suggest the waterproof version instead a normal one for obvious reasons.

s-l1600.jpg

11 minutes ago, husoi said:

The relay will only become active when the power is on.

the 2 contacts that connect to the coil will be one to (-) ground the other to the ignition (85).

the other 3 are

1 to battery (30), 1 to the device you want to connect (87) and the other will be left disconnected (87a).

Difference between 87a and 87 is that one is open contact at rest and the other is closed at rest. You want to connect to the one open at rest. :thumb: 

I suggest the waterproof version instead a normal one for obvious reasons.

s-l1600.jpg

Great, so the earth cable from the grips will just stay on the battery or can be attached to frame etc? thankyou

Just now, jedibiker said:

Great, so the earth cable from the grips will just stay on the battery or can be attached to frame etc? thankyou

You're all mixed up.

Earth cable from the grips just connects to the frame.

The + cable goes to the battery (or relay - 87)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, husoi said:

You're all mixed up.

Earth cable from the grips just connects to the frame.

The + cable goes to the battery (or relay - 87)

Nope, I said to battery or frame so was half way there lol. The + part made sense though. Appreciate the input

• Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 11:42, Six30 said:

all you need is a sat nav wired in , anything else phone etc , charge in your hotel room before you go out for the day when away on your jaunts.

if any one comes back with , yeh but when your camping .... not interested your mad !

I concur.

satnav goes tits up? I’d use a non-digital, processed woodpulp, with ink and waterproof membrane, backup. Just like we did before satnavs. 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve_M said:

I concur.

satnav goes tits up? I’d use a non-digital, processed woodpulp, with ink and waterproof membrane, backup. Just like we did before satnavs. 😁

How about going a bit further back and live in bronze age?

16 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Steady on. They didn’t have motorbikes in the Bronze Age. 

Exactly. If you like modern stuff you can't "cherry pick".

In it for the good and the bad

In richness and poor

sickness and health.....

I digress.. where are my pils? 😏

1 hour ago, husoi said:

Exactly. If you like modern stuff you can't "cherry pick".

In it for the good and the bad

In richness and poor

sickness and health.....

I digress.. where are my pils? 😏

Surely the whole point of the modern world, with a vast array of offerings, is that we can cherry pick. I choose to use a map to identify a suitable route, Google street view to check features of the route, and input it into the satnav to act as my guide giving directions. It also means the map can be my backup.

I have a phone with a camera but actually use a camera for photos when I’m on holiday, though I may use my phone if I want to send an image to family or friends immediately. 

I could look at those photos on my technology devices, but I also have hard copy photo albums and framed pictures scattered around the house.

I have a kindle which I use for reading, but I also have paper books and magazines (my son tells me that kindles are the devil’s spawn and proper paper books are the only true medium. Luddite!).

As the thread title said, “Too many gadgets”... 😁

Edited by Steve_M

1 minute ago, Steve_M said:

Surely the whole point of the modern world, with a vast array of offerings, is that we can choose. I choose to use a map to identify a suitable route, Google street view to check features of the route, and input it into the satnav to act as my guide giving directions. It also means the map can be my backup.

I have a phone with a camera but actually use a camera for photos when I’m on holiday, though I may use my phone if I want to send an image to family or friends immediately. 

I could look at those photos on my technology devices, but I also have hard copy photo albums and framed pictures scattered around the house.

I have a kindle which I use for reading, but I also have paper books and magazines (my son tells me that kindles are the devil’s spawn and proper paper books are the only true medium. Luddite!).

KINDLE????? HOW DARE YOU SIR?????

That's devil's work :P 

Absolutely nothing will ever take me to the dark side. Not even my father 🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2021 at 10:08, Steve_M said:

Surely the whole point of the modern world, with a vast array of offerings, is that we can cherry pick. I choose to use a map to identify a suitable route, Google street view to check features of the route, and input it into the satnav to act as my guide giving directions. It also means the map can be my backup.

As the thread title said, “Too many gadgets”... 😁

I was with you until Kindle.