Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

2 hours ago, jedibiker said:

Its the forward arrow.

So you dont think those little holes would throw off compression etc? its beyond me mate. @fastbob

They are not holes , they are indentations . To my eyes the black area is simply a shadow . Obviously it's not an ideal situation but the alternative is to try to source a suitable piston and possibly hone the bore to bed in the rings . Is it really worth it ? 

Polish_20210318_001155888.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jedibiker said:

@Mississippi Bullfrog its just odd lighting.. with flash you can see detail in it.

20210317_223123.jpg

In that case I'd leave it. But I'd clean up the edges of the marks with a file or Dremel to remove any ridges that will create hot spots or bits that might break loose. Smear some grease around where you're filing to catch any particles and cover up everywhere else. You're only looking to smooth out the edges where there's a ridge, not remove a lot of metal.

• Like 1

The barrel is smooth upto the little mark, the piston doesn't go past this mark as that's the broken bit. If i put in a new piston it would pass this a little so it would need smoothing out. the barrels part doesn't seem to be expensive to replace, guess its a risk the replacement is ok and doesn't need £120 worth of rings

Screenshot_20210318-073231_Messenger.jpg

From that angle the ridges don't look as raised as in the previous pictures. The only bit I'd be worried about is the bit that is making the shadow which shows up on the last photo. But it's close to the edge and you'd struggle to do much with it without removing the piston. 

I'd leave it and see how it runs. If there's a problem then it's time to do more surgery. Replace the plugs, if the one in that cylinder had contact with the debris it could be weakened and a plug electrode snapping off isn't going to help things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

From that angle the ridges don't look as raised as in the previous pictures. The only bit I'd be worried about is the bit that is making the shadow which shows up on the last photo. But it's close to the edge and you'd struggle to do much with it without removing the piston. 

I'd leave it and see how it runs. If there's a problem then it's time to do more surgery. Replace the plugs, if the one in that cylinder had contact with the debris it could be weakened and a plug electrode snapping off isn't going to help things.

I can replace all the barrels and pistons for £40+gasket. If i clean the piston properly its a gasket. it doesn't sound alot of money, but with no work due to covid and the money Ive spent on tools etc lol i need to try save some. But also know changing parts could save me long term. So my thoughts are up and down at the minute.

Also getting a quote from a guy to fix the drilled out hole professionally. as that leaking could set me back just as much. It might seal up if I thread lock the helicoil etc, but its a gamble. what a few weeks this has been.

3 hours ago, jedibiker said:

I can replace all the barrels and pistons for £40+gasket. If i clean the piston properly its a gasket. it doesn't sound alot of money, but with no work due to covid and the money Ive spent on tools etc lol i need to try save some. But also know changing parts could save me long term. So my thoughts are up and down at the minute.

Also getting a quote from a guy to fix the drilled out hole professionally. as that leaking could set me back just as much. It might seal up if I thread lock the helicoil etc, but its a gamble. what a few weeks this has been.

£40 ?? Thats a bargain - gonna cost me about £500 for replacement rings, gaskets etc for the Trophy !!

4 minutes ago, Mickly said:

£40 ?? Thats a bargain - gonna cost me about £500 for replacement rings, gaskets etc for the Trophy !!

Still needs gasket, but if piston rings are ok then thats a bonus as they are £120

19 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I reckon that's looks pretty good. I didn't realise you'd popped the pistons out. 

I thought i might as well seeing as oil was leaking from the gasket so probably had to renew.. I should be going for new pistons as soon as get reply though. id feel better with that done at least

Well this bike gets better. Was having a look inside, and it looks like there is some previous damage to the crank shaft. From the second hand pics on ebay it seems common..

However, Im tempted to get the sump off and give it a clean out just in case. May as well seeing as its almost stripped. New pistons and barrels on Sunday, and maybe even a new head at a bargain price.

I will have the largest beer once this is sorted.

20210319_133010.jpg

20210319_133019.jpg

20210319_133100.jpg

23 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Well this bike gets better. Was having a look inside, and it looks like there is some previous damage to the crank shaft. From the second hand pics on ebay it seems common..

However, Im tempted to get the sump off and give it a clean out just in case. May as well seeing as its almost stripped. New pistons and barrels on Sunday, and maybe even a new head at a bargain price.

I will have the largest beer once this is sorted.

20210319_133010.jpg

20210319_133019.jpg

20210319_133100.jpg

What damage ? You'll have to point it out to me . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi, As @fastbob said, what damage!!! That's just how they are made, you'll find a lot of rough castings inside engines😀, so no broken off bits there.

Ah i thought he was being sarcastic lol. looks proper shit to me

Haha, no he wasn't, just got rid of a crankshaft, for a R1 otherwise would have sent you some pic's. Anyway if you had lost a chunk like that off the crank, think you would have noticed a wee vibration by now🤣.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi, As @fastbob said, what damage!!! That's just how they are made, you'll find a lot of rough castings inside engines😀, so no broken off bits there.

Thank you . 😉

No need to machine something that doesn't need machining . Remember , this isn't a Brough Superior , it's a consumer product built down to a price to maximize profits . That's why it's got 6mm exhaust studs instead of 8mm . 

8 minutes ago, fastbob said:

No need to machine something that doesn't need machining . Remember , this isn't a Brough Superior , it's a consumer product built down to a price to maximize profits . That's why it's got 6mm exhaust studs instead of 8mm . 

Fair enough, it does make total sense. Never know peoples sense of humour here ha. To me it looked bad hence my reply :)