Fazer 600 2003 manifold bolts

jedibiker

Did you find the piece of metal? Just wondering how on earth something got into there. My guess is it's come in via the exhaust ports whilst the pipes were off. 

I used to check valves by tipping the head upside down and filling the valve chamber with petrol. If it leaked past the valves there's a problem. Obviously you have to do each one in turn when all the valves are closed. 

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Did you find the piece of metal? Just wondering how on earth something got into there. My guess is it's come in via the exhaust ports whilst the pipes were off. 

I used to check valves by tipping the head upside down and filling the valve chamber with petrol. If it leaked past the valves there's a problem. Obviously you have to do each one in turn when all the valves are closed. 

yeah it was stuck to the head, it was looked shiny and was steel. so a very odd find. checked all cam teeth etc and even crank teeth although they would never get up there. Something must have fallen through the valves, but id have thought they would look damaged.

Very confusing. I have a guy lined up with parts, although the damaged metal doesnt really do anything. Would a little bit of missing piston matter lol

In the original photo I thought I saw more than one piece of metal . Can you post a close up of all of them on a plain background ? I'm really intrigued by this and I am good at recognising shapes so I'd like to have a better look . Cheers . 

3 minutes ago, fastbob said:

In the original photo I thought I saw more than one piece of metal . Can you post a close up of all of them on a plain background ? I'm really intrigued by this and I am good at recognising shapes so I'd like to have a better look . Cheers . 

I only have the 1 photo of it, my dad took it i think. the other bit is a piece of the piston top that stuck into the head

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I know what that is. Look at the photo of your broken stud extractor. It's part of the jaw that snapped off.

Well spotted Sir !

Eyes like a shithouse rat without doubt.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

What an eloquent compliment. I shall add it to my CV next time I'm looking for a job.

Happy to help and glad to see the spirit of helpfulness continues on here.

C.V writing service available for the brave only!

@jedibiker Now you know what you are dealing with I hope the repair and rebuild goes well.

Cheers

Ian

10 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Happy to help and glad to see the spirit of helpfulness continues on here.

C.V writing service available for the brave only!

@jedibiker Now you know what you are dealing with I hope the repair and rebuild goes well.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks. Im torn as the barrel is ok but top of piston has slight damage. Id bet it will run fine but if parts are reasonable Il put new piston in and new barrels, well used ones. lol.. all for not blocking the hole when using a shit tool, or checking for object.. talk about a bodge.

1 hour ago, jedibiker said:

would you guys run it seeing as the little holes dont touch anything, or get barrels and pistons?

I'd run it . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jedibiker said:

you know I think I got it.. i found the bits. il add photos. But remember the chuck style stud remover that exploded when trying to use it... well il bet its that/.

LEAR9092.JPG

LEAR9093.JPG

LEAR9094.JPG

Not wishing to appear smug but do you remember when I recommended one of these ? 

Polish_20210317_203947503.png

34 minutes ago, fastbob said:

Not wishing to appear smug but do you remember when I recommended one of these ? 

Polish_20210317_203947503.png

yeah I got one and it got the stud so stuck in it i couldnt get it out. wouldnt fit other studs. defo gets a grip though,

15 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

On the photo of the piston there is a dark area between the indentations. What is that? 

Its the forward arrow.

So you dont think those little holes would throw off compression etc? its beyond me mate. @fastbob

18 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Its the forward arrow.

So you dont think those little holes would throw off compression etc? its beyond me mate. @fastbob

I can see the forward arrow. But on the photo I can see a much darker area between the marks that are close together. There isn't enough damage to affect compression ratio but that dark bit looks odd on the photo. Maybe it's just the light but if the piston is damaged you could get a hot spot that may cause pre-ignition or possibly burn through. But it's hard to tell from the photo I can see on my phone.