The Epicurean

Slowlycatchymonkey

After @S-Westerlys confession of his sybarite tendencies, the glorious pic of a 900g steak and his roast pheasant for Sunday lunch I think a balm for these dull days might be a thread of foody inspired treats. So post your pics of Sunday lunch, of glorious puds or luscious bites and let’s indulge in something just a little bit sunnier and more inspiring than how many people died of Covid today! I have nothing to offer currently but I’m reposting s-westerlys devine looking t-bone to kick things off. 

979DB2F3-71EC-4678-A0B0-F83D86422B38.jpeg

Just now, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

After @S-Westerlys confession of his sybarite tendencies, the glorious pic of a 900g steak and his roast pheasant for Sunday lunch I think a balm for these dull days might be a thread of foody inspired treats. So post your pics of Sunday lunch, of glorious puds or luscious bites and let’s indulge in something just a little bit sunnier and more inspiring than how many people died of Covid today! I have nothing to offer currently but I’m reposting s-westerlys devine looking t-bone to kick things off. 

979DB2F3-71EC-4678-A0B0-F83D86422B38.jpeg

It was very nice as was the bottle of Medoc I washed it down with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

It was very nice as was the bottle of Medoc I washed it down with.

well i was told many years ago the best way to eat a pheasant was to kill it hang it up by it's neck till it dropped on the floor and then cook and eat it, but somehow i didnt fancy that idea so i have never eaten pheasant 🤮

Just now, skyrider said:

well i was told many years ago the best way to eat a pheasant was to kill it hang it up by it's neck till it dropped on the floor and then cook and eat it, but somehow i didnt fancy that idea so i have never eaten pheasant 🤮

Yep when it starts moving again it almost ready 🤢 

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

They look so good. I’m doing an old school classic this week- beef bourguinon and apparently Yorkshire’s go really well with it so I’m going to give it a whirl?!? I’ll let you know how it goes. 

What mix do you use for them? 

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I’ll let you know. I never make Yorkshire puddings! Tips gratefully received!

Make sure the oil/fat is HOT, batter kept in the fridge until the last minute. ;)

Fish

• Like 1

I will have to measure how much is in our cups as that's the measure for semi skimmed milk.

5 eggs, 4 if very large, by very large huge 😁 

230g plain flower sifted

Semi skimmed milk, 1 cup, quantity in ml to follow.

Oven 250c, 12 muffin tin with oil covering bottoms, in till just smoking

Lightly mix eggs with fork, runny snott is what your after, sift in flower, keep mixing till you get an almost cake like mix, add milk, mix with fork till runny and get plenty of air into the mix.

Decant into jug, pour till just over 3/4 full, put in middle of oven (fan), 10 mins at 240c, 12 at 215, turn oven off leave for further 2 mins.

All ovens are slightly different you may need to shorten the 12mins to 10 if your oven runs slightly hot.

The 2mins at end just helps them not to shrink back, again if they do you May needed adjust end time or middle time depending on colour.

I've not had a Yorky pudding fail in a long long time.

I don't add salt or pepper btw

Looks slightly complicated but it's straight forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bender said:

I will have to measure how much is in our cups as that's the measure for semi skimmed milk.

230g plain flower sifted

Lightly mix eggs with fork, runny snott is what your after, sift in flower, keep mixing till you get an almost cake like mix, add milk, mix with fork till runny and get plenty of air into the mix.

Decant into jug, pour till just over 3/4 full, put in middle of oven (fan), 10 mins at 240c, 12 at 215, turn oven off leave for further 2 mins.

All ovens are slightly different you may need to shorten the 12mins to 10 if your oven runs slightly hot.

The 2mins at end just helps them not to shrink back, again if they do you May needed adjust end time or middle time depending on colour.

Isn’t the oil supposed to be beef fat?

15 minutes ago, Fish said:

Make sure the oil/fat is HOT, batter kept in the fridge until the last minute. ;)

Fish

Nope no need 😁 

I've tried everything over the years, I've found cold batter can suck too much heat out of the oil and cause them to not reach full height.

Tried, beer, sparkling water, just about every celebs mix and twist.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bender said:

230g plain flower sifted

Good stuff. Screen shot taken. You’ve addressed my fear of cold batter sucking the heat out of the pan too. Any odds in adding the S&P before though? I’m inclined to do so. 

2 hours ago, skyrider said:

Depends how gamey you like it. Personally I like them hung for about 7 days. Most bought pheasant tastes much like chicken imo as its not particularly gamey. Favourite game bird is either wild duck or wood pigeon.

@Slowlycatchymonkey just under 300ml of semi skimmed milk, like 10ml under, I could send you a pic of the cup I use 😂 👍 

The batter mix will be fairly heavy with just the eggs and flower but it will mix smooth with the fork.

It will be fairly thin once milk is added but don't worry 😁 

@S-Westerly I acquired a couple of pheasants for the in-laws from last day of shooting season, they hang them for about a week too, they said they were the best they have ever had, must have been getting fat whilst covid raged, the pheasants not in-laws

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bender said:

I've been informed there will be many many pheasants going free next shoot 😁 

I'd not be surprised but the season is over now so it's going to be October before there's another shoot.

Edited by S-Westerly

Stop. Just Stop.

Im on nights and just had a pastie and all this talk of food is making me crave a light snack, Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam!

Though I could live without the fried egg.

• Haha 3