The Epicurean

Slowlycatchymonkey

24 minutes ago, Bender said:

@Slowlycatchymonkey how did they come out? 

Superb 👍 Sorry I didn’t take a picture 🙄 

Thing is I never make them because I was never a fan. They just seemed like large bland lumps of batter but I realise now that is precisely the point of them. It was highlighted beautifully today by the rich beefy red wine sauce from the bourguignon and the contrast of the plain Yorkshire.
My husband even said “l think I’d like to have this dish for my birthday lunch” which is remarkably pedestrian by his standards 😂

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bender said:

They were designed as a filler.

Like I said you may need to tweak oven settings but I've never had a failed batch yet

Don't go telling folk your getting recipes from a bikers forum you will get us a bad name 😂 

I won’t pretend I didn’t hesitate before starting the thread but then I thought even grumpy men like food and what with the lockdown n weather food is one of the joys most of us can still indulge in!
My mother despised fillers so we never had them or most of the other normal cheap staples who were according to her “for people who can’t afford to buy enough meat” Yes she’s nuts. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey
She’s a vegetarian now 😂
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I won’t pretend I didn’t hesitate before starting the thread but then I thought even grumpy men like food and what with the lockdown n weather food is one of the joys most of us can still indulge in!
My mother despised fillers so we never had them or most of the other normal cheap staples who were according to her “for people who can’t afford to buy enough meat” Yes she’s nuts. 

My mums yorkies bless her would never have been described as fillers 😁 

• Haha 1

Sorry haggis, neaps tatties all gone.

Christmas pudding and rum sauce eaten.

Luckily the whiskeys not gone, yet.

On the subject of Yorkshire puddings, many moons ago, Mass Sunday lunch for 12 in student halls.

I got joint first in competition with a lass in at uni making Yorkshire puddings.  I impressed myself, she was a Yorkshire lass.

Although I may of biased the results by knowing how to cook a roast from the pub across the way.

Prepare veg with a beer,

Beef in 1 pint,

Potato's in 1 pint,

Based potatoes turn roast 1 pint,

Veggies on 1 pint,

Large GnT at home yorkies on whilst letting red wine breath doing gravey and other odds & sods.

If you ever want to impress with a roast 5 beers a GnT followed by red wine tends to do it 🥴 🙊🙉🙈

I digress however I have only used 1 recipe for over 10 years now..

• 285 ml milk
  • 115 g plain flour
  • 3 large eggs

Throw it all in Magimix, press button, until smooth.

As said above heat oil and tray hot... Before adding batter. Don't open oven for 20 minutes.

Original receipe Works well for Toad in the hole..

Original receipe..

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/toad-in-the-hole/

IMG_20210214_220553_2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Very nice. Is there an advantage over slow cooking it?

Less chance of it burning, and as @Bender it breaks down the fibres and makes it more tender, usually the slow cooking is for the cheaper cuts of meat. I like to slow cook in the oven but that is just a personal choice, you could do it in a slow cooker but I don't think you would get the same texture as you do in the oven, I maybe wrong but it's something I have not tried in the slow cooker :thumb:

• Like 1

My daughter was with me:

American style for breakfast (with ginger jam),

Crepes with cheese and spam for lunch, followed by lemon and sugar ones.

Always remember going to see my grandad in July one year "oh just in time were having pancake Day", turns out it was not dementia .His sister and him had decided they where old enough to set there own date whenever they felt like it.

A tradition he carried on in the nursing, it became quite popular.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bender said:

I think that's what the waiter thought at 4am, only briefly. 

I love America for restaurants, no need to look in a menu just ask, if they have it they will make it.

I have never been to America. Quebec yes America no. I’m torn over whether it’s somewhere I really want to spend time and the main reason I’m put off is the food culture there. It looks very unappealing. I’m thinking Alaska to Mexico (probably in pieces) or I understand even Route 66 is regenerating itself as a worthy offering but everyone I know who’s travelled in America said it’s heart attack food and it’s a treat you get fed up with quite quickly. 

What’s your opinion on America’s food offerings? Or anyone who’s been there for that matter!

1 hour ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

I have never been to America. Quebec yes America no. I’m torn over whether it’s somewhere I really want to spend time and the main reason I’m put off is the food culture there. It looks very unappealing. I’m thinking Alaska to Mexico (probably in pieces) or I understand even Route 66 is regenerating itself as a worthy offering but everyone I know who’s travelled in America said it’s heart attack food and it’s a treat you get fed up with quite quickly. 

What’s your opinion on America’s food offerings? Or anyone who’s been there for that matter!

Service may be fake but it's usually very good, we've never had any issues you can do cheap well cheap ish as it's getting expensive over there, expensive is just that, we found in sanfran you may as well eat in a good hotel as the price in the tourist trap is the same.

There is every type of food you can shake a stick at, street food from the little hand carts and mobiles are good too way better than here, we tend to go off TripAdvisor to get an idea of where to avoid 😁 

Mr Eastwoods restaurant in carmel was so good we went 3  times 😁 

• Haha 1

California has some of the best food on the planet especially if you avoid the obvious tourist traps. The scenery is to die for. I've done the Pacific coast highway 1 three times - fantastic. Further north towards Oregon and Washington State also great. I've skied Mammoth  a few times but wouldn't go back as they've  sanitized it a lot. Lake Tahoe ski resorts are really good with fantastic scenery to boot. I'd not want to live in the US although my brother does but I love it as a tourist.

• Like 2

My granny used to make sure her Yorkshire Pud was a filler. It had the consistency of the heat shield panels on the Space Shuttle. Probably would have done a better job as well.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

If the pub did thermidor...

I over seasoned the fries with paprika but apart from that it was a good rendition or was that the Chablis I had with it 🤔 

Mr SCM had his jab today so celebrations had to be had. 

B697CCEE-B22B-44F4-B785-2FD6AD55A324.jpeg

strewth whats that with all the legs