Is your Tyre Plugger the best?

1 hour ago, Fish said:

I really should see about getting a repair kit at some point. :o

Fish

One of these things you hope you'll never use but if you haven't got one you'll be buggered. Probably on a Sunday afternoon somewhere with no phone signal in the pissing rain.

Thanks for your tips on compressors, the issue for me is size and weight.

I am not keen on battery ones as it's something else to find flat when you need it.

If out for the day I have no issues with recovery and losing what ever time I have.

It's the longer overnight trips where that option could cause problems and space/ weight are a premium i worry about more..

Edited by onesea

1 hour ago, onesea said:

Thanks for your tips on compressors, the issue for me is size and weight.

I am not keen on battery ones as it's something else to find flat when you need it.

If out for the day I have no issues with recovery and losing what ever time I have.

It's the longer overnight trips where that option could cause problems and space/ weight are a premium i worry about more..

With the lithium batteries in them these days you'd only have to charge the battery a couple of times a year if it's not used. The trick is to use it to keep your tyres pressures spot on and get into the habit of keeping it charged.

How you do it depends, in my view a lot on the attitude you have to your bike, especially if its a keeper.

If it is a keeper, one of the best additions you can make is to add a power socket, with a 15A fuse direct to the battery. Having this makes all sorts of things possible. you can connect a battery minder to it, with the correct plug.. so no messing about with the battery. You can connect a tyre compressor to it directly too. these can be quite small. or with a USB plug, use one of these lithium compressors.. and have the ability to keep it fully charged. it also gives you somewhere to connect your phone to keep it charged, or a sat nav. or even heated clothing in the winter.

such a handy thing to have on any bike.

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

How you do it depends, in my view a lot on the attitude you have to your bike, especially if its a keeper.

Both bikes have direct access to battery and USB so 12v so both options not a problem.  I just get pissed with equipment dyeing cause the battery has died.
I have drills sanders, skill saws, nail guns all working but 10 yrs on batteries no longer of use or available.

Few months ago I was just about to wash my bike after a ride. Suddenly I hear a hiss... thinking bollocks, something happened to the gas meter or pressure reducer (gas meter is on the side of my driveway). Found the key, checked everything, all good - and the hissing noise stopped. Washed the bike down, popped off centre stand and... wtf? Can't push into the garage!

Turns out I picked up a big flint in the rear tyre on my way home. Bought a Gear Gremlin kit -takes 3 minutes to fix the puncture!

2 hours ago, jedibiker said:

saw this and thought it was great. was looking at a kit for when i do nc500. and found a portable compressor that acts like a powerpack. you keep it charged and its ready to go.

I have a battery compressor and the problem is remembering to keep it charged so I use an AA mini compressor which I plug into my battery pigtail. Saves on memory 😉

• Like 1

If I write anything in any of the tyre plugging threads again, whack me!

Went to the garage yesterday to check the tyre pressure in preparation for today... 36 front and 12 back! Turns out there's a rusty nail in the rear, luckily in the centre of the tyre - so I'll be riding with two plugs (2500m on the tyres).

If I only kept my mouth shut!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

well, was preparing the bike for a ride out today, always check pressure even though rode yesterday, pressure fine but a nail sat in the top of the tyre. not enough time to find repair now but I now have the issue of repair with the sticky type that seems to last, or get a garage to do a repair that is classed as permanent. I know some dont like to ride on a repair but the tyre was £140 not too long ago lol.

so which did people decide was actually better?

cheers

IMG-20210425-WA0002.jpeg

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

well, was preparing the bike for a ride out today, always check pressure even though rode yesterday, pressure fine but a nail sat in the top of the tyre. not enough time to find repair now but I now have the issue of repair with the sticky type that seems to last, or get a garage to do a repair that is classed as permanent. I know some dont like to ride on a repair but the tyre was £140 not too long ago lol.

so which did people decide was actually better?

cheers

IMG-20210425-WA0002.jpeg

I would take wheel to local garage, then I know it costs £15 and I have ridden on thier repairs for 1000's of miles before.  

I do keep pondering a puncture kit for bike.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onesea said:

I would take wheel to local garage, then I know it costs £15 and I have ridden on thier repairs for 1000's of miles before.  

I do keep pondering a puncture kit for bike.

I dont mind paying, I know some ride on repairs for life of the tyre, not sure how they ride etc. can imagine if its on your mind at speed

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

I assume you need to be good at taking the tyre off? look good

I have a manual tyre changer that makes life easy! 

Once the wheel is off I can change a tyre in around 5 mins 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jedibiker said:

I assume you need to be good at taking the tyre off? look good

no need to take the tyre off. I’ve done more than a few repairs to my tyres over the years and never had a plug fail. The tyre only came off when it was due a replace. Obviously the usual caveats apply: The puncture needs to be suitable for a repair in position on the tyre and actual size of the hole. If it falls outside those constraints then the tyre will need to be replaced anyway.

• Thanks 1

got it repaired at a shop, internal style..

but bought a repair kit for out on the road, but how sticky should the sticks be? most dont seem that sticky to touch. Surprised they dont come sealed

1 hour ago, jedibiker said:

which one do you use? the mushroom type?

Stop & Go.

It forces an oversized mushroom into and through the puncture hoie by compressing it. once through the puncture the underside of the mushroom is pulled against the inside wall of the tyre and seals it. Air pressure and the normal bumps and knocks of road riding then only force the mushroom tighter against the inner tyre wall. The stalk of the mushroom is about double the size of the puncture hole and fills it completely. No glue. it takes longer to reinflate the tyre than it does to repair it.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.47.22.png

• Like 2