Problem With Phone Charging

So I’ve got a switched USB socket with a voltage read out clamped to my bars & wired direct to the Battery, this has been happily charging my i-phone through a cable until yesterday, when this message appeared.

5FBC03BA-F301-4A86-A586-6895DDF031E5.thumb.png.eb5970030ecd7849f3fff67ce01de45b.png

Anyone any ideas why it’s just cropped up & how I might sort it out as it’s stopped charging.

& just for @S-Westerly the USB is Chinese so is it trying to steal the data from my phone?🤣🤣

Edited by Mickly
Fat Fingers
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Mickly said:

So I’ve got a switched USB socket with a voltage read out clamped to my bars & wired direct to the Battery, this has been happily charging my i-phone through a cable until yesterday, when this message appeared.

5FBC03BA-F301-4A86-A586-6895DDF031E5.thumb.png.eb5970030ecd7849f3fff67ce01de45b.png

Anyone any ideas why it’s just cropped up & how I might sort it out as it’s stopped charging.

& just for @S-Westerly the USB is Chinese so is it trying to steal the data from my phone?🤣🤣

Chinese, definitely steeling data and uploading covid-21

• Haha 1

Anyway what’s happened when u press dismiss button. It happened to me and by pressing dismiss start charging, if not turn off the phone than turn on.

mostly work for me

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Marino said:

Anyway what’s happened when u press dismiss button. It happened to me and by pressing dismiss start charging, if not turn off the phone than turn on.

mostly work for me

Tried both those options to no avail😟

Was that before or after the latest IOS update?

Try restarting the phone.

Icrap never liked 3rd party connections.

5 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

I suspect the charging lead is not compatible with the phone. 
it happened to me before when I bought a cheap lead. 

It’s a Belkin braided job that was working  - I’ll try it with a genuine Apple piece of kit.

Gratuitously cut from tinternet 

Most of the time, the “This accessory may not be supported” pop-up appears shortly after you plug your iPhone into a power source to charge it. In most cases, the charging cable you’re trying to charge your iPhone with isn’t MFi-certified, meaning that it wasn’t made consistent with Apple’s design standards.

The charging cables you can buy at your local gas station or dollar store are almost never MFi-certified because they are so cheaply made. In some cases, these cables can also cause significant damage to your iPhone by overheating it.

If possible, charge your iPhone with the cable that it came with. If the charging cable your iPhone came with isn’t working, you can exchange it for a new one at your local Apple Store, so long as your iPhone is covered by an AppleCare plan.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bender said:

Gratuitously cut from tinternet 

Most of the time, the “This accessory may not be supported” pop-up appears shortly after you plug your iPhone into a power source to charge it. In most cases, the charging cable you’re trying to charge your iPhone with isn’t MFi-certified, meaning that it wasn’t made consistent with Apple’s design standards.

The charging cables you can buy at your local gas station or dollar store are almost never MFi-certified because they are so cheaply made. In some cases, these cables can also cause significant damage to your iPhone by overheating it.

If possible, charge your iPhone with the cable that it came with. If the charging cable your iPhone came with isn’t working, you can exchange it for a new one at your local Apple Store, so long as your iPhone is covered by an AppleCare plan.

Interesting, but why did it work for a while & then stop?

I suspect the charger and not the cable to be honest

Ooops! caps lock was on and I can't be arsed to edit it  :lol:

Edited by Tiggie
Cos Stu is too lazy to do it himself!!

So it transpires that it’s the cable.

I tried an Apple branded cable plugged into my bike & didn’t get the error message.

Plugged the offending Belkin cable into my home charging plug & got the error message.

I bought this particular cable because it was braided & short (15CM) hoping that it would be a bit more robust for use on a bike & I wouldn’t have to tie back a load of extra cable.

Initially it worked & for some reason my I-phone has fallen out with it - I suppose I could take it back but I haven’t got the receipt or packaging ( paid cash at PC World ) 😟

The hunt now goes on for a short Apple branded cable.

Edited by Mickly
  • Like 1

Anker cables are famous within the Android community for their superior quality.

So far they are the only ones I can get the Android auto to work in the car.

3 hours ago, husoi said:

Anker cables are famous within the Android community for their superior quality.

So far they are the only ones I can get the Android auto to work in the car.

Yup, Anker cables are my go to for cable choice, mainly due to the durability on them, brought one back in 2016 and it's still going strong today even after constant use/abuse from being taken with me everywhere I go.

@Mickly, have a look on the cables that OptiMate sell, their O113 cables comes in a pair, one short cable and one long cable, the short cable isn't as short as 15cm but comes in at 30cm. Personally I find the short one too short, lol.

Oh, good thing is it's only £4 on eBay. Lol, this was the buyer I brought mine from:

Link here

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JackieOWheels said:

Yup, Anker cables are my go to for cable choice, mainly due to the durability on them, brought one back in 2016 and it's still going strong today even after constant use/abuse from being taken with me everywhere I go.

@Mickly, have a look on the cables that OptiMate sell, their O113 cables comes in a pair, one short cable and one long cable, the short cable isn't as short as 15cm but comes in at 30cm. Personally I find the short one too short, lol.

Oh, good thing is it's only £4 on eBay. Lol, this was the buyer I brought mine from:

Link here

Thanks @JackieOWheels l’ve ordered one from the link 👍

Because Apple are so hot on both privacy and security anything thats slightly 'off' will be disabled. You really need to use apple branded or apple certified accessories. Anker is apple certified. It might be the cable, or it might be the USB itself. When I asked people more knowledgable than me about charging my iphone on the bike the general consensus was.. dont use anything thats 'clever'. USB sockets with voltage signifiers are the worst culprit, the very fact that the voltage is altered slightly by the built-in 'voltage measuring hardware' and/or leds can be enough to alter the 'signal' and cause an iphone to have, in effect, a paranoia attack and deny it access. 

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

Because Apple are so hot on both privacy and security anything thats slightly 'off' will be disabled. You really need to use apple branded or apple certified accessories. Anker is apple certified. It might be the cable, or it might be the USB itself. When I asked people more knowledgable than me about charging my iphone on the bike the general consensus was.. dont use anything thats 'clever'. USB sockets with voltage signifiers are the worst culprit, the very fact that the voltage is altered slightly by the built-in 'voltage measuring hardware' and/or leds can be enough to alter the 'signal' and cause an iphone to have, in effect, a paranoia attack and deny it access. 

The USB socket works fine with my genuine Apple cable.

We’ll see if the same happens with the new cable.

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

The USB socket works fine with my genuine Apple cable.

We’ll see if the same happens with the new cable.

I used the longer cable from OptiMate on the same sort of setup as @Mickly but use the OptiMate USB charger and it works fine, they 'claim' it's a waterproof cable but I'm not sure if I believe that statement 🤣.

Only reason I suggested the OptiMate cable was the cable was short enough for what he wanted it for and it's relatively cheap. Hope it works!