Counter leaning

Mississippi Bullfrog

Ha ha ! Having worked in a bike shop , I genuinely thought this post was about those lonely pricks who spend hours leaning on the counter telling tales of their amazing exploits without spending any money . We had one who used to ride a filthy rusty 535 Virago . He would come in every Thursday just before closing time and wander around trying on helmets and asking about stuff . We even tried turning the lights off and putting our coats on but this as*hole was undeterred . If you love bikes , NEVER work in a bike shop . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

well.. as this thread has gone off the rails so early. Its as good a place as any to post a photo of a random foodstuff. Which if you ever taste will have you leaning over anything handy, like a counter and being rather unwell in a dramatic fashion. (with sound effects)

71cIyI7cOrL._SL1050_.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Just spotted this from that well know master of physics and things that go vroom in the night.

I'm not sure I got all the physics but on wet and muddy rural lanes it seems to work for me.

Just watched that too, Physics over my head too generally but he always seems to make it sound convincing.

Made me realise I'd seen quite a few 'expert police rider' videos where they race a harley or something at break-neck speed around an assault course and failed to notice they were counter-leaning!

8 hours ago, Gerontious said:

well.. as this thread has gone off the rails so early. Its as good a place as any to post a photo of a random foodstuff. Which if you ever taste will have you leaning over anything handy, like a counter and being rather unwell in a dramatic fashion. (with sound effects)

71cIyI7cOrL._SL1050_.jpg

Twat

What will got lost by a lot of people (because he only briefly mentions it) is that for urban riding he's spot on. He doesn't say don't lean more than the bike ever, just generally speaking you only need that on the track/at higher speed/just for fun.

Obviously in Canada/America most turns in town are 90 degree turns, here we have roundabouts but it's a similar thing you you see someone trying to get a knee down on a small roundabout.....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

What will got lost by a lot of people (because he only briefly mentions it) is that for urban riding he's spot on. He doesn't say don't lean more than the bike ever, just generally speaking you only need that on the track/at higher speed/just for fun.

Obviously in Canada/America most turns in town are 90 degree turns, here we have roundabouts but it's a similar thing you you see someone trying to get a knee down on a small roundabout.....

Well spotted. 

And said far more succintly than this guy!

1 hour ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

If I get my knee down on a small roundabout it's because of diesel spilt on it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Well spotted. 

And said far more succintly than this guy!

Greg (Motojitsu) does some very good content and I also watched his video, I think you can tell that was a bit of an off the cuff response video. Plus maybe he has to post so many minutes for ad revenue 😂

8 minutes ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

It'll be a view I know some people will think is hyperbole and takes the fun out of riding - but he's 100% correct.

But we have all been there.............

I believe there is room for some middle ground here . Older forum members will be aware that before I got a Harley , I rode a pair of  GSXR 1100's for many years and clocked up the best part of 70,000 miles . I think that the idea that if you're " Hanging off the bike you're going too fast for the road " is not entirely fair . There is a world of difference between a GP Jockey hanging off a bike and someone shifting their weight around in a moderate fashion to get the bike smoothly around a corner . I don't even think a Hypersports bike will go round a corner at legal speeds without some athletic input from the rider . You wouldn't buy an R1 and sit bolt upright on it like a sack of spuds but at the same time , you wouldn't try to get your knee down on every bend . There is definitely a middle ground where you can enjoy getting the best performance out of a bike without behaving like an absolute hooligan . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1