I was a nobhead

bonio

I thought I'd get the key message out there up front.

Today we had beautiful, sunny, warm weather and dry roads. I had to go to Ipswich so took the twisty route, and on the way back came to this junction

image.thumb.png.80eae8165f1e64f88d63478a5cba3239.png

just as a bloke in a car comes down from the left where he has to give way, and he's going quickly, looking in my direction to see if the road is clear. In fact, I see him at look me straight in the eyes, and instead of thinking "Good, he's seen me. Better slow down in case" I only thought, "Good he's seen me". The next thing I saw was the horror on his face when he actually did see me as I appeared out of nowhere - mouth wide open, eyes out like in Tom and Jerry. Then I saw him grab the steering wheel in panic. And instead of thinking, "Oh shit. Anchors on now now now," I'm thinking, "Oh he's seen me at last, better slow down in case". This was probably the worst thing do; even speeding up at this point would have improved my chances. I went in front of him; he missed me by about a foot, mainly because he's swerved into the verge on his left.

I didn't stop, I gave him a wave to show I was ok, and carried on. 

Lesson learned: plan properly and slow down.

Edited by bonio
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Drivers don't expect to see bikes as much this time of year. I had a van do something similar a couple of weeks ago. It's a junction where it often happens so I'm always wary there.

Dan Dan the Fireman on YouTube constantly says that if see the side of a vehicle then automatically go into caution mode. He's very repetitive but I get the point, there are situations where problems are more likely to happen.

• Like 1

It amazes me how many drivers actually look at you,  you think, like you did, great he's seen me, they then proceed to pull out in front of you!  You'd think with this Island hosting the TT and FOM, it would be better, drivers would be more bike aware,  however, IMHO I actually think it's worse.

I once pulled out on a car at a roundabout. I think what happened was the car was silver and blended into the grey sky in the background and obviously I didn't look close enough or pay enough attention.

No collision or anything, just hard breaking by the driver and a lot of horn beeping and hand gestures which I deserved :oops:

• Like 1

The A1120… nice road if memory serves…

I was once on a roundabout when a car joined from the left, instead of considering whether he would turn right from the LH lane I exited at the next road… he clipped the LH pannier on my ST1100 and, seeing me hurtle across a refuge and stop just shy of the fence on the wrong side of the road, he buggered off. I, of course, chased him and pulled him over. Apparently he thought that as I was ok he could just sod off. I was not a happy bunny.

Note to self. Life-saver before leaving a roundabout is probably wise.

• Like 3

There was a study regarding car drivers and perception. They are looking for cars, trucks, but not motorcycles.

Unfortunately, brain is set up for something else and by the time processor process the picture it is too late for bike riders. I don’t remember percentage’s but think it was very high, around 70 + percent didn’t register motorcycles even they clearly could see them.

20 minutes ago, Marino said:

There was a study regarding car drivers and perception. They are looking for cars, trucks, but not motorcycles.

Unfortunately, brain is set up for something else and by the time processor process the picture it is too late for bike riders. I don’t remember percentage’s but think it was very high, around 70 + percent didn’t register motorcycles even they clearly could see them.

It is to do with how the brain processes threat management. The brain doesn't process the entire field of vision, to enhance speed of threat perception the first quick glance only registers segments of the field of view. 

Motorists look for something big enough to present a threat. A motorcycle can easily fall between the segments that register.

It is why weaving slightly as you approach a junction where you see the side of a vehicle can help as it presents a moving light rather than one that appears static. A headlight with a wobble also gets noticed more, or one that pulses.

The Bobber has very hard suspension which makes the headlight vibrate. I find drivers see me much better than when I'm on the Honda, even though that has auxiliary LEDs. 

Throw in a slight change of direction as you approach a junction and you'll notice the difference. Just a quick wobble of the handlebars is enough.

24 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

It is to do with how the brain processes threat management. The brain doesn't process the entire field of vision, to enhance speed of threat perception the first quick glance only registers segments of the field of view. 

Motorists look for something big enough to present a threat. A motorcycle can easily fall between the segments that register.

It is why weaving slightly as you approach a junction where you see the side of a vehicle can help as it presents a moving light rather than one that appears static. A headlight with a wobble also gets noticed more, or one that pulses.

The Bobber has very hard suspension which makes the headlight vibrate. I find drivers see me much better than when I'm on the Honda, even though that has auxiliary LEDs. 

Throw in a slight change of direction as you approach a junction and you'll notice the difference. Just a quick wobble of the handlebars is enough.

Saccadic masking its called. They look but don't see.