Yamaha XJR1300

Fiddlesticks

My first motorcycle: a tidy 07 reg Yamaha XJR1300.  Maybe it's not the obvious choice for a new rider, but after spending the weekend looking at the tired sports tourers in my price bracket,  I saw the classic lines of this retro-styled muscle bike and fell a little bit in love.

No, it doesn't have a fairing. I dropped a faired Yamaha 650 on my leg about 20 years ago. The bruise took about six months to heal, but the fairing had to be scrapped. I figure, one less thing to worry about. The lack of screen and luggage can be rectified for a price, but for now I'm basking in its cobalt blue and silver magnificence.

The most techie piece of kit on this motorcycle is the digital 12 (not 24!) hour clock that sits recessed in the chunky metal by the ignition. There are a couple of dash lights, a chrome analogue speedo with matching rev counter and not much else.

The engine is a fuel-injected, air cooled inline 4. Well, I'm new to this game so not sure how that stacks up to anything except the fun SV650 I learned to ride on. Bigger, heavier, faster, louder but actually nothing too intimidating. You don't really want to go too fast, but it is nice to have almost 100bhp and oodles of torque on tap should you need it.

We're missing some engine braking, but the brakes themselves are very good. Slow speed handling requires a bit more commitment, but I can still do a U-turn and figure 8 without difficulty.

The Ohlins shocks and comfortable seat make for a great ride. Add a pillion plus luggage and it won't notice the difference. 

I'm given to understand that MPG may not be the best, but what you get here is some old school cool and a big smile.

• Like 3