War in europe?

Bender

2 hours ago, nickjaxe said:

If I lived in Ukraine I would say.....lets give in.....the other option.....fight and you will loose anyway......but many 1000s will be killed during that time....and the country destroyed.

Either way not good buy just giving in is the least worse option to me.

I'm guessing the was russian troops are killing innocent people many would not want to live under this regime and would rather die to protect their freedoms. I have a Czech friend who was a student when Russia rolled in, she feels the same to if it ever happened again. 

• Like 2

Like many others I've been wondering what little I can do to help. We have looked at a range of options but the one we've found the best is to donate via the Disasters Emergency Committee. 

This is a joint venture between  a number of leading charities and was established in 1963 to respond to major situations.

Whilst there are other avenues you can use the DEC system allows you to gift aid your donation adding 25% to the value of whatever you give, plus all donations made through DEC are matched by the UK government.

So if you donate £50 gifted aided that totals a donation of £112.50.

www.dec.org.uk

I have no connection with DEC or any charity which is part of it. 

• Like 5

One of my 2 remaining Russians told me in all seriousness that Ukraine was full of Nazis and why were we in the West supporting them. I really do despair as he's normally a sensible rational guy but all rationality has been blown into dust bunnies.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Red Cross too I think.

They are part of DEC. If you give to the Red Cross they get what you give, but if you do it via DEC the government will match your donation so it's more effective.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

One of my 2 remaining Russians told me in all seriousness that Ukraine was full of Nazis and why were we in the West supporting them. I really do despair as he's normally a sensible rational guy but all rationality has been blown into dust bunnies.

He maybe talking more sense than you realise....lots on our media you just cannot believe especially the BBC sadly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

They are part of DEC. If you give to the Red Cross they get what you give, but if you do it via DEC the government will match your donation so it's more effective.

Every day is a school day, learnt something new there. As I gave to the red  cross I'll donete to them too. I'm off booze for lent so Ill use the cash I'd have spent on a few pints or a bottle of scotch for this instead 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Ukraine isn't full of Nazi's .. but it does have its fair share! 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hundreds-of-ukrainian-nationalists-march-in-in-honor-of-nazi-collaborator/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hundreds-in-ukraine-attend-marches-celebrating-nazi-ss-soldiers/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/1/who-are-the-azov-regiment

Edited by KiwiBob

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Like many others I've been wondering what little I can do to help. We have looked at a range of options but the one we've found the best is to donate via the Disasters Emergency Committee. 

This is a joint venture between  a number of leading charities and was established in 1963 to respond to major situations.

Whilst there are other avenues you can use the DEC system allows you to gift aid your donation adding 25% to the value of whatever you give, plus all donations made through DEC are matched by the UK government.

So if you donate £50 gifted aided that totals a donation of £112.50.

www.dec.org.uk

I have no connection with DEC or any charity which is part of it. 

I looked at Dec but not convinced its the best spend, they keep 10% for future disasters (read keeping large funds in bank) the rest is split through the other charities so it can be split by 15, each one can keep 7% to be spent on UK operations ( bloated salaries and bank accounts so that's 7% each by 15 charities) 

1 hour ago, nickjaxe said:

He maybe talking more sense than you realise....lots on our media you just cannot believe especially the BBC sadly.

I think I'll take the BBC over Pravda any day. Given I have 2 Ukrainians on board as well and their stories are more in line with the BBC. If you believe Pravda then I've got a bridge you can buy really cheap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Everywhere has nutters. Russian skinheads and so-called night wolves who are all keen on Putin are next best thing to Nazis. Weird given Russian history. 

5 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Everywhere has nutters. Russian skinheads and so-called night wolves who are all keen on Putin are next best thing to Nazis. Weird given Russian history. 

Night Wolves? .. Just normal biker folk surely? ;) .. 

• Haha 1

Zelenskyy was elected in 2019 with a whopping 73% of the vote — a considerably larger share than his predecessors — and won a majority in every region, including the most traditional and conservative

Nationalists are reckoned to make up about 2% there are probably more right wing white supremacists in the US. 

Russia has been using the term nazi to detach any legitimacy from Ukraine and legitimise his own cause, take note they have flattened and bombed the very Russian folk they were supposed to be on a crusade to save. 

The uprising in 2014 came about after an abrupt u turn on a deal with Europe that was suddenly switched to Russia, where did the puppet run to, Russia. 

It's not just nato he doesn't like, he doesn't want a large Russian speaking country with democracy doing well and joining Europe, hence supporting the break away areas, how can you join Europe with border issues, you can't. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Which is a bit daft as the president is Jewish.

it’s pure transference. Putin is taking lessons from Hitler. Ukraine is the  modern equivalent of the Sudetenland, for his goals. Take a bite, no reaction. Take a bigger bite. Then swallow it whole. Then move on to the next target. And repeat.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 3

Kudos for the hacker group "Anonymous"

According to some press they hacked some public TV channels in Russia and distributed images of the reality of the war.

The channels are Russia 24, Moscow 24 and Channel One.

The clip had a duration of 38 seconds

They also hacked the platforms Wink and Ivi (similar to Netflix) 

• Like 3

We’ve been lied too by the MSM in the UK for the past 2 years and now suddenly we believe every word they say. .... really...

Ukraine is a tragedy beyond words and the evil that is Putin must be faced ...

But ..

Not a single member of the UK armed forces must be harmed.

No politicians sending young men and women into battle to have their limbs blown off ..

If Boris and Ben and their mates want to use military force against Putin let them grab a gun and set off for Kiev ... 

Iraq and Afghanistan where enough ..........

Edited by Trooper74

51 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

We’ve been lied too by the MSM in the UK for the past 2 years and now suddenly we believe every word they say. .... really...

Ukraine is a tragedy beyond words and the evil that is Putin must be faced ...

But ..

Not a single member of the UK armed forces must be harmed.

No politicians sending young men and women into battle to have their limbs blown off ..

If Boris and Ben and their mates want to use military force against Putin let them grab a gun and set off for Kiev ... 

Iraq and Afghanistan where enough ..........

I don't think they do want to use force. They have refused a no fly zone for that very reason. Looks like they want to provide Ukraine with the tools to defend their sovereignty I think Putin and his cronies were the only ones who wanted this but I may be wrong. No media outlet is 100% correct some worse than others. 

• Like 1

Who will blink first over Russian sanctions? .. Gas price has just rocketed up to £8 per therm!... It was 39p per therm last year. If it stays this high the October price cap will have to be raised from £1,971 to £5,000 per year. .. Looks like I'll have to buy some extra thermal underwear for next winter.

Edited by KiwiBob

7 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Who will blink first over Russian sanctions? .. Gas price has just rocketed up to £8 per therm!... It was 39p per therm last year. If it stays this high the October price cap will have to be raised from £1,971 to £5,000 per year. .. Looks like I'll have to buy some extra thermal underwear for next winter.

Let the fracking commence, and only pay Cuadrilla the rate for the gas at 39p / therm .... or even better .... take Fracking into government ownership for the benefit of the UK population.

Just now, Trooper74 said:

Let the fracking commence, and only pay Cuadrilla the rate for the gas at 39p / therm .... or even better .... take Fracking into government ownership for the benefit of the UK population.

Even if you start fracking today it won't come online for another 2 or 3 years.

Proud to inform, first 87 refugees arrived today in Portugal by bus.

Authorities have already set up accommodation and preparing job opportunities for those wanting to work until they can return to Ukraine.

• Like 5

This is from a website I visit now and then, just saw it earlier:

Many of you don't know this since it's not relevant to the functioning of Mobilism, but I am Ukrainian. Mobilism also has Ukrainian servers (among others), Ukrainian coders, and is obviously home to many of my fellow compatriots. You're all currently using a Ukrainian site.

Ukraine has been invaded by a country that feels no remorse for dead civilians or human suffering, and is beholden to the whims of a tyrant and his pursuit of imperial glory. We are fighting valiantly and will continue doing so. We will not give up an inch of Ukrainian soil without a fight. We will stand as Europe's shield against the land that for the past ten years we've referred to as Mordor.

To clear up misconceptions:
Russia claims that they are not targeting civilians: so far, Russian shelling and bombing have hit a psychiatric hospital, multiple civilian neighborhoods and residential buildings, several ambulances, kindergartens and educational facilities; a Russian tank drove over a car with the driver (an elderly civilian) still inside. So, if they are claiming they only target the military, then either their aim is even worse than we thought, or they are blatantly lying, like they have lied for weeks about their intentions for Ukraine.

Putin claims Ukrainians are Nazis and his goal is to de-nazify Ukraine (this is a direct quote). Ukraine is the only country in Europe whose head of state is Jewish (elected with 73% of the vote). In the last election, a coalition of all far-right parties won 2.15% of the popular vote, and since that didn't meet the threshold of 5% failed to gain any parliamentary seats. What's more, I'm Jewish, as are my wife and many of our Ukrainian friends. One of the bomb shelters a part of my family is using is a gay club in downtown Kyiv. Trust me: the only likeness Ukrainians have to Nazis is that we are now at war with Russians.

Putin claims Ukrainians and the West forced him to "defend Russia". Ukraine has never threatened Russia militarily. The only way it threatened Russia is by showing that it can thrive without it as a democracy. And why is this "defense" happening on our land? Russia's claims that they are somehow provoked into attacking us is akin to this: a wife left her abusive alcoholic ex, took the children, and issued a restraining order- so he killed her cat, trashed her car, and now showed up in her new home with a gun, all while blaming this on her and the police.

"Current sanctions are enough:" In 2008, Russia annexed a piece of Georgia. The international community offered sanctions and a slap on the wrist. In 2014, Russia annexed Crimea and started a bloody conflict in the east of Ukraine which had been claiming our lives for 8 years now. More sanctions followed. After Russia's total invasion of Ukraine the West implemented its most severe sanctions. And yet, they do not deter Russia from continuing the war. We're not looking for NATO to bring in troops, we'll do the fighting for our own country. Thank you to all the countries that are providing us with lethal aid and defensive equipment. We will use it for as long as we are able.

Слава Україні!

• Like 3

I'm no warmonger as I work in an industry which is usually on the shitty end of the stick when it goes pear shaped, one of my kids is still in the military and the other is subject to recall if things went that bad. BUT if things do go worse where'd we draw the line? Chemical weapons? Tactical nukes? Pushing into the Baltic States? Putin is going to have to be confronted at some point and that confrontation is going to have to stress that the West carries a big stick too. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I'm no warmonger as I work in an industry which is usually on the shitty end of the stick when it goes pear shaped, one of my kids is still in the military and the other is subject to recall if things went that bad. BUT if things do go worse where'd we draw the line? Chemical weapons? Tactical nukes? Pushing into the Baltic States? Putin is going to have to be confronted at some point and that confrontation is going to have to stress that the West carries a big stick too. 

If it does come to a real shooting war between NATO and Russia I think we're all f*****d!.. Neither side could afford to lose. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

Even if you start fracking today it won't come online for another 2 or 3 years.

But we have to start ....

• Like 2