What Tourer should I Get??

Bigbuddha

I've just finished the NC 500 on my Versys 1000 with my wife as pillion. This was our first tour and we loved it, and want to plan bigger and better tours. The question is I would like more of a tourer style of bike for longer days on the road. I have approx £9000, so do I get a Goldwing GL1800 or the BMW K1600GTL? Or do I get something I have not thought about? Opinions please.

Hi and welcome to the forum 

If it was my money I would be looking at he r1200rt rather than the K16 

I always wanted the K16 but after speaking to owners who have had both the K and the RT the RT was better suited to me for plodding about and exploring. The K16 is more suited to sitting on the motorway all day long 

• Like 1

I did really like the Versys, it was a little top heavy with it fully loaded and pillion. I was looking for a bigger tourer with more storage and maybe more protection.

5 minutes ago, Fish said:

What didn't you like about the Versys out of interest?

• Like 1

How strange this is just the question I have recently been asking myself after several 300mile + days dashing up and down to Dorset several times a month and I will be interested in peoples thoughts.

I am getting a bit bored with the neck problems the Busa`s riding position gives if you are pressing on and making progress lol, I would like more comfort but don`t particularly want to sacrifice pace and presence.

Cheers

Ian

The issue I have is I want to do 10 day tours plus wife on the back. After looking at the R1200RT reviews,I'm not too sure it will be the right bike because of storage and pillion comfort.

58 minutes ago, Bigbuddha said:

The issue I have is I want to do 10 day tours plus wife on the back. After looking at the R1200RT reviews,I'm not too sure it will be the right bike because of storage and pillion comfort.

My good lady first toured as pillion with me on my Triumph Tiger 1050SE. She loved the comfort and elevated seat position. I liked the bike as a competent all rounder but, like the Versys, it had limited luggage options and was top heavy (see reference to pillion seat).

I P/X’d it for an FJR1300. It was a good bike for touring. Mostly. We did three tours on that before I finally got fed up with the low speed weight and soggy suspension. My G.L. was glad to see the back of it if only because the pillion position was too low.

I now have a BMW R1200 GS. Just the one short tour so far but it is proving to be superb. Comfy, great riding position, loses its weight at low speeds, ESA makes adjusting the suspension a doddle. I would recommend it but the fly in the ointment is the luggage. Odd shaped panniers, and restricted top box capacity (I’ve ignored the advice and gone big, but aware that I’m exceeding its weight capacity by some margin).

Which leads me to suggesting you try the BMW R1200RT (or 1250 if your budget stretches). It does most of the things the GS does while being, arguably, a better tourer.

If your objection is poor pillion reviews then I would point out that that everyone’s backside is different. The Tiger pillion was supposedly uncomfortable but my G.L. loved it, yet ambivalent about the FJR’s pillion (supposedly an armchair). The GS? No complaints so far.

PS. Luggage capacity. How much do you need? The RT has 113 litres as standard. Add in a tank bag… 

Edited by Steve_M

2 hours ago, Bigbuddha said:

I'm not sure what reviews you're reading or what year bike you are looking at but I have yet to see anyone complain about the RT for touring on :? 

The storage is plenty and could easily do 10 day tours on it with ease 

We did 5 days in wales in scorching hot weather last year and the only complaint was that it was way too hot to be riding when coming back! it was the hottest day of the year mind! saw highs of 32°c 

The trip to and from Wales was around 220 miles and no sore arse for either of us and the wife prefers this to that FJR I had previous 

The only way to be sure is to take one for a ride I suppose 

• Like 1

Why don’t you just get a new holding rack and bigger panniers for the Versys?

You will be able the sell the Kawasaki originals to recoup some of your money back and still have £9000 -ish. 
Unless you definitely want a different bike. 

Edited by fullscreenaging

I wish I hadn`t started this looking lol.

I now have a shortlist GSX1000GT, Ninja 1000SX Tour, Tiger 1050 with all the bits, BMW R1250RT.

Head spinning with all the options lol.

Got to start touring dealers now to see what they are like in the flesh.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Ninja SX1000 is not a tourer. I know because I fell for the sports-tourer hype myself ( 2nd time so that shows how bright I am).

I bought one new in 2019 and traded it in last year with around 4000 miles on the clock. It's neither a sports bike nor a tourer and doesn't do either roll very well in my opinion. Cracking engine but the ergonomics just don't work for either of it's hyped rolls.

• Like 1

Just stood in front of a Tiger 1050 with ALL the trimmings down to the zip off tailpack and I have to admit it seems to tick a lot of boxes and a lot cheaper than the equivalent BMW.

I take your point about the sports tourer bit as an owner of a Busa which is often hyped as both lol.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Why don’t you just get a new holding rack and bigger panniers for the Versys?

You will be able the sell the Kawasaki originals to recoup some of your money back and still have £9000 -ish. 
Unless you definitely want a different bike. 

That certainly is a possibility,  I just found with pillion and fully loaded panniers the bike was very top heavy and was a bit arse twitching in the strong winds over Shap. Bigger panniers might make it worst?

That’s a possibility. 

Have you tried adjusting the preload front and rear to accommodate pillion and luggage?

You could also look at changing the suspension. 
I have a 2017 Versys and put Hyperpro front springs and rear shock on last year and it has made a big difference. That was just shy of £1000 with getting someone to change the front springs over for me. I took them in loose.
I did the rear myself. Very easy. 
I love my V and don’t find 2 up a problem. I’m only 5’ 7” with a 29” inside leg. 

You would still have loads of spare change for touring 😉

Edited by fullscreenaging
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, fastbob said:

You only live once and you can always sell a Harley if you don't like it .

Screenshot_20220505-165826.png

That`s a nice American take on a goldwing ! 

I thought the Dyna was portly lol and that`s 1584.

Cheers

Ian

My mate has a DCT Goldwing and it cost a bloody mint. More than I'd pay but he's a bit daft that way! He's also 5'6" and weighs about 11 stone soaking wet. He loves the bike and wafts around like it's some kind of limo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

If I had the money, and lived in America, I’d have one like a shot. Lovely bike

If I lived in America I'd have lots of guns and get fat on burgers most likely 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

20220507_162024.thumb.jpg.0ef114dee03172c35647c5f6e72c8af8.jpg20220507_145235.thumb.jpg.4bde4d29d54f9c50237847976ef48df9.jpgpulled the pin and went for the Triumph Tger so now thinking about advertising the Busa. 

cheers 

Ian 

Sell me that old Harley and you get to keep the Busa . You know this makes sense . 

• Haha 1