What Tourer should I Get??

Bigbuddha

5 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

20220507_162024.thumb.jpg.0ef114dee03172c35647c5f6e72c8af8.jpg20220507_145235.thumb.jpg.4bde4d29d54f9c50237847976ef48df9.jpgpulled the pin and went for the Triumph Tger so now thinking about advertising the Busa. 

cheers 

Ian 

Having done three two-up tours and numerous weekends away on one I have to concede that’s a good bike. Beware of the front going light when fully loaded two up and accelerating “firmly”. 

oh, and you may need to wear platform soles shoes to see into the top box (I’m 5’ 10” and found it a bit high).

image.png

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 22:33, Steve_M said:

Having done three two-up tours and numerous weekends away on one I have to concede that’s a good bike. Beware of the front going light when fully loaded two up and accelerating “firmly”. 

oh, and you may need to wear platform soles shoes to see into the top box (I’m 5’ 10” and found it a bit high).

image.png

Hi @Steve_M I don`t suppose you recall a cheap or even free way to get a workshop manual for said Tiger?

Cheers

Ian

10 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Hi @Steve_M I don`t suppose you recall a cheap or even free way to get a workshop manual for said Tiger?

Cheers

Ian

Sorry. I can’t help. 

Try the forum if it still exists.

Just to throw a curve ball into the mixer, me and the missus have just done the best part of 2000 miles in 12 days round Italy on our 1994 BMW K1100LT with no issues with regards to comfort for the "boss" on the back and we were fully loaded.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigbuddha said:

I've bought a 2007 Goldwing gl1800, and I'm well chuffed.

Well done, Ive always fancied one of them. (with all the plastic removed because im perverse) They don't half crack along. effortless. torque monster.

3 hours ago, Bigbuddha said:

I've bought a 2007 Goldwing gl1800, and I'm well chuffed.

You will be able to own the road on that for sure. That version of the GL looked the best in my opinion. Pictures please! 

On 26/05/2022 at 01:10, S-Westerly said:

My mate's got two Goldwings, a Mark 1 from the 90's (?) and a 2018 model. Likes them both and he's not what you could ever call a big man. 

Rumour has it there's a motorcycle hidden underneath them somewhere.

• Like 2

An important thing to remember is that the limiting factor of luggage isn't just the space required to carry it but the weight of the luggage especially if you've got a pillion on board as well. This is very important if you're going to be traveling at a good speed. 

One idea if you're touring and staying in hotels that are pre-booked is to post clothes to the hotel and post used clothes home from the stops. I've done a lot of distance riding and I try not to take much with me. After all do you really need a dinner suit and ballgown when touring?

Edited by dashfixer

err how long do you tour for.... I can usually get away with a 30l tail bag and a tank bag, and that's for a fortnight. I've never heard of anyone posting clothes before:scratch:

17 minutes ago, Pie man said:

err how long do you tour for.... I can usually get away with a 30l tail bag and a tank bag, and that's for a fortnight. I've never heard of anyone posting clothes before:scratch:

some people do when they go over to the IOM for race weeks

59 minutes ago, dashfixer said:

An important thing to remember is that the limiting factor of luggage isn't just the space required to carry it but the weight of the luggage especially if you've got a pillion on board as well. This is very important if you're going to be traveling at a good speed. 

One idea if you're touring and staying in hotels that are pre-booked is to post clothes to the hotel and post used clothes home from the stops. I've done a lot of distance riding and I try not to take much with me. After all do you really need a dinner suit and ballgown when touring?

Im not entirely sure that would be a problem with the Goldwings 147litres of available luggage space. and 6 cylinder engine.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2