Replacement windows

Mississippi Bullfrog

We have a terraced house we let which has wooden frames windows that had double glazed units fitted into them before we bought the house. The window frames are in good condition but a couple of the glazing units have failed. They aren't a standard size so glaziers aren't interested in replacing the glass.

I suppose it makes sense to look at replacing them with UPVC units, though we will probably be selling the house within the next 3-4 years.

Someone I know works for Anglia and reckons they would charge about £1200 a window. There are 7 windows in the house. I don't need their ten year warranty as we won't own the house that long.

Just wondering if anyone on here has had experience of getting windows replaced? Just picking a company at random seems a bit of a gamble. 

Obviously it depends on the size of the window but £1200 a window sounds excessive to me.

Someting like an 1800 x 1200 with single casement would cost around £400 + VAT. If they charged £400 to fit it, which is on the top side, it still comes in at under a grand.

I appreciate prices will vary dependant on location but shop around for a local independent tradesman and you won't be paying for all the hype the likes of Anglian have.

Although I have upvc frames a couple of the glas units had failed, ive changed plenty before and watched pros fitting them so I just go online find a company to make up the sealed unit to my sizes and order them. You need to measure the size of your sealed units allowing for probably packing pieces between unit and wooden frame and work out the thickness of the unit as there are quite a few. I presume you have some sort of wooden beading around the frame holding the unit in. If the original sealing method was ok just refit the same. Hardest bit is working out the thickness of the unit but you can get calipers that will work it out for you or just measure framework and a bit of subtraction. This was the company I used last time and had free delivery as I was not in a hurry to replace. Double Glazed Units and Glass Sealed Units Online

Shouldn't have any problem getting glazing units made to any size thickness you want, I go through a fair few, just dimensions overall thickness and if it's an area that needs safety glass, any good local glazing company should order the units for you. 

Units in wood you need to be careful of the unit sitting in a pool of water at the bottom it gets into the sealed unit quicker and mists up. 

Might be better getting a good local chippy to look at replacing them rather than dg company. 

Your friend a salesman or a fitter. I wouldn't go anywhere near them. NatFed approx rate supply and fitted with 2 opening lights/cills and sealants & Low emmisive glazing etc. work on approx £350sm so 1.8mx1.2m £756 all in. Old timber windows use to have 4-6-4 glazing units, not sure what thickness yours are but its relatively easy to replace them. I would look for a local company that supplies windows that are made with VEKA 70mm profiles.

Forgot to say, why not obtain 3 quotes, 

Edited by Pie man

Hmmm...thanks. I've already asked a few local glaziers about replacing the units but they have all declined because the units aren't a standard design. I did get one transom unit replaced ages ago and the guy who did it said then that it was a bugger of a job trying to get the replacement glass made. 

PVCu is your friend 🤣

I would go for replacements. Simple really, obtain 3 quotes (Apples for apples) local Fensa accredited window installers, ask for a breakdown of cost, and replace as you go, Improve SAP and added value. 

few years ago I had all my windows replaced and the sliding patio door replaced with French doors. 8 Windows plus the doors cost me £4,500 and change. I had the front door replaced separately soon after I bought the house as that was a more immediate priority. before and after.

2118923793_Screenshot2022-09-28at07_25_59.thumb.png.b8aa7c23cede182a860d91d87ceec11c.png

• Like 1

I had Anglian quote a couple of times and they were about 3 times the cost of a local glazing company. Then when you moan out come the “discounts “ they can offer.

Thanks for the input. I went today to do a final check before the new guys move in, good job I did as the batteries in the wireless thermostat had died. 

I'll ask round some local companies and see what price they quote. My experience so far getting them to give me a quote hasn't been great. I've had to travel over, wait around, and then no-one turns up.

23 hours ago, JRH said:

I had Anglian quote a couple of times and they were about 3 times the cost of a local glazing company. Then when you moan out come the “discounts “ they can offer.

That was like British gas with our boiler we used a local guy instead no hidden agenda just quoted us a genuine price and could chose our own boiler rather than just one brand!  @Mississippi Bullfrog find that with most tradesmen a lot don't turn up or even let you know annoying waste of a day that can be😡

Edited by MikeHorton

On 28/09/2022 at 18:25, JRH said:

I wouldn't have them even if they were free 🤣 

We had 7 sealed units earlier this year including one half of a patio door, the others were just average sized bedroom windows.

I got a quote from one company who couldn't replace two because they couldn't reach over a porch or lean to roof. I asked can't you just replace them from the inside but no that wasn't possible. Waste of time.

Got another contact, he quoted £1100 supply and fitted so we went for that.

Did a great job and I asked him how he wanted to be paid, he said he would take £1000 cash.

Result, spent the saved £100 on the M3.

Edited by Bianco2564

On 28/09/2022 at 18:50, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Thanks for the input. I went today to do a final check before the new guys move in, good job I did as the batteries in the wireless thermostat had died. 

I'll ask round some local companies and see what price they quote. My experience so far getting them to give me a quote hasn't been great. I've had to travel over, wait around, and then no-one turns up.

Builders and smaller trades have had it good for the last few years, if you could give it 12 months, they will be trolling their contacts for people who wanted quotes. I can get Builders to come out and look, however I say if you haven't got a sharp pencil, don't bother wasting my time, they never call back with the quote 🤭 🤣   

You probably know this already, but make sure the person you get will give you a FENSA certificate for the work. It'll make things easier when you come to sell the place.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bonio said:

You probably know this already, but make sure the person you get will give you a FENSA certificate for the work. It'll make things easier when you come to sell the place.

Yes, that's worth checking as we shall probably be selling it within a few years.

I had a chat with our letting agents as I'd previously given them the go ahead to replace one failed unit. Hopefully they will look after it as that makes much easier for me. So I've asked for two quotes, to replace the failed units and to replace all the windows with UPVC. My guess is they'll come with a high quote for the first option of course but whatever, so long as it gets sorted at a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...