Contesting energy bill

Davidtav

Don't refuse to pay it. It'll bite you in the arse later on.

If you think the bill is wrong then call them and tell them you've not used that much energy. If you provide a reading then you can get the bill adjusted.

If your direct debit is too high again call them. We argued against our DD being increased and they left it as is. 

• Like 2

Definitely get in touch with them before the bill is due and say you're contesting it. 

You could try and get them to agree to defer the payment date while they're sorting it out.

11 hours ago, bonio said:

Definitely get in touch with them before the bill is due and say you're contesting it. 

You could try and get them to agree to defer the payment date while they're sorting it out.

Good advice. Speak to them asap. Keep a contemporaneous copy of all communications, emails and letters are straightforward but record the date and time of all phone calls and who you spoke to.

I had a long standing issue with one of our previous suppliers which I referred to the ombudsman with a full copy of all communications. It got resolved within days after that. 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Good advice. Speak to them asap. Keep a contemporaneous copy of all communications, emails and letters are straightforward but record the date and time of all phone calls and who you spoke to.

I had a long standing issue with one of our previous suppliers which I referred to the ombudsman with a full copy of all communications. It got resolved within days after that. 

My case with the Ombudsman is over a year old, despite giving them all the relevant correspondence & details 😠

• Sad 2

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines about paying and contesting. 

it is a flat I rent out. I was between tenants for 16 days. The flat was uninhabited during that time. Hardly any electricity used during that time. I believe my bill should be less than £15. … however I have a bill of £175

i don’t have the meter readings. It is a Smart meter but they are saying it hasn’t been sending the readings properly … so why didn’t they send someone out to sort it?

Always, and I say always take a picture of the meter reading ensuring you get the meter ref and date of the picture, the mistake you have made is not taking readings straight away, you need them the minute someone leaves and when you sign up a new tenant. The Ombudsman is a waste of time, they are understaffed and too many cases to deal with, as Mickly is finding out. 

Pay it and then ride the storm to get it back. 

(It is a Smart meter but they are saying it hasn’t been sending the readings properly … so why didn’t they send someone out to sort it?)

because they don't care 🤬

The Ombudsman will tell you to follow the energy company complaints process first before they will get involved. Which in itself is a nightmare

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

Always, and I say always take a picture of the meter reading ensuring you get the meter ref and date of the picture, the mistake you have made is not taking readings straight away, you need them the minute someone leaves and when you sign up a new tenant. The Ombudsman is a waste of time, they are understaffed and too many cases to deal with, as Mickly is finding out. 

Pay it and then ride the storm to get it back. 

(It is a Smart meter but they are saying it hasn’t been sending the readings properly … so why didn’t they send someone out to sort it?)

because they don't care 🤬

The Ombudsman will tell you to follow the energy company complaints process first before they will get involved. Which in itself is a nightmare

Yes I know that is right. To be honest though I was unaware that it was even possible to take the meter reading manually from a Smart meter

if it turns out to be just one of those costs involved when changing tenants then so be it. 

1 hour ago, Davidtav said:

Yes I know that is right. To be honest though I was unaware that it was even possible to take the meter reading manually from a Smart meter

if it turns out to be just one of those costs involved when changing tenants then so be it. 

They vary. Some you need to press a button to get the reading. Others display it all the time. But you can always get a reading on them. 

1 hour ago, bonio said:

I thought that was only if the other person answered. If they're out, you press button B.

Then when you press button B you get your money back. 😉

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Davidtav said:

Press 9 and you should see IMP KWH then numbers followed by KWH = this is your reading. The period between tenancies is the Landlords responsibility however, there are always ways to avoid this😀

Edited by Pie man

• 2 weeks later...

Last instance you can make a payment "on account" for the value you think is the correct one and suspend/cancel DD with intention of reinstate it once the problem is solved if your only option is to can cancel.

It is important that, before anything else you contact the supplier (as said before) and explain what you intend to do and what course of action you will be taking.

Tell them that unless they sort things out in a timely manner, you are prepared to make a formal complaint to the supplier and to escalate it to OFGEN if they don't have it sorted.

You should also say that you are temporary suspending the DD until they have it sorted because you don't have the confidence that they will perform as you expect and you're not willing to pay more than what it's due.

Finally, make sure the conversation is recorded, either by you or by them. Remember that if you record the phone conversation, you have the legal duty to inform them.

• Like 1