Textile waterproofs

So I've recently brought some textiles jacket and trousers different makes as they didn't have the stock in

But what I've found the are very very tight on the inner thigh making it hard to get my leg over my bike but more of a concern is just putting my foot down to support my bike at stops like lights. This also with the gear change seems very tight and restrictive surely they would know this if its a design flaw and not a size flaw if it is a design flaw just a added layer of fabric would losen this area up and add better movement. 

Also aren't they meant to be 100% i oftern have patches like today all on my bottom half the water came through. 

Totally new so need some advise about what is normal what isn't I already had to take stuff back to the shop I'd prefer not to again but obviously I need them to be water proff and keep the bike safe whem driving. 

Thoughts guys/girls 

P. S also i find they fall down and i assume the little sip at the back is to attach the jacket but as they are different brands this doesn't seem to work but the tightness is a major concern and the ability to stop me getting wet so I'm not soaked after I've driven somewhere. 

IMG_20221014_094602.jpg

IMG_20221014_094557.jpg

When you bought them did the label say waterproof? From the little snippet of left and right I'd say they look an awful lot like biker jeans, I have a pair and yes they're safe to ride in but not waterproof (just like regular jeans but with the addition of kevlar). 

Unfortunately it comes down to trial and error with clothes, my advise would be to take them back and exchange them for some others but try them on and perhaps squat to see if they ride up or feel tight. I know Sportsbikeshop have a wire bike outside the changing rooms so you can test how the clothes would feel whist on a bike.

Sorry I can't be of more help

I wear "waterproof" textiles over my jeans, but they only really keep a light shower away. Unless you spend serious money on laminated or goretex gear then maybe don't expect too much.

Even my one piece rainsuit has been known to let water in around the crotch where it pools.

You want my opinion ? Dress in whatever bike gear you are comfortable and safe in and then stick a set of " Outdoor " waterproofs such as Karrimor etc from Sports Direct on over the top . Buy big and be prepared to replace them every couple of years . I'm done with so called waterproof textile clothing . None of it ever works for long and everything except the really expensive stuff starts to fall apart from day one . And don't even mention waterproofing sprays because they are just a con . 

I grow tired of explaining to people (not on this forum) what waterproofing sprays are and what they do. They are utterly pointless for motorcycle riders clothing. If the gear isn’t already waterproof they won’t magically fix that.

thin layer waterproof over garments are the cheapest fix. Best if the pants are made for bikers as the legs tend to be longer and usually have Velcro tabs so you can cinch them up over the boots and stop water getting in. The jacket needs to have longer than normal arms due to stretching to the handlebars. And a high neck.

The long term cure is Goretex. Or one if it’s better copies. Preferably laminated. But this comes at a price. Though you can often find bargains on such places as eBay. Whatever you judge to be your normal size. Go a size up at least. So you have a better chance of a good fit or have room for extra layers underneath as the weather gets colder.

The big plus with goretex is that it’s guaranteed waterproof for the life of the garment. If it leaks Gore will replace it or send you the cash. This assumes the item is undamaged or not falling apart due to normal wear and tear. This alone goes some way towards justifying the higher price tag. No receipt needed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cloughie24 said:

When you bought them did the label say waterproof? From the little snippet of left and right I'd say they look an awful lot like biker jeans, I have a pair and yes they're safe to ride in but not waterproof (just like regular jeans but with the addition of kevlar). 

Unfortunately it comes down to trial and error with clothes, my advise would be to take them back and exchange them for some others but try them on and perhaps squat to see if they ride up or feel tight. I know Sportsbikeshop have a wire bike outside the changing rooms so you can test how the clothes would feel whist on a bike.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Yeah that's ny jeans so you can see where it came through... I know your menat to just wear your boxers underneath but I was hoping not to have to change so went with them on. 

I know this adds to them but I have taken the lining out so I have tried them with each way the get to hot with the lining in even when its cold and make me sweat. 

I was advised you don't war anything but your boxers underneath...? 

The guys at the shop are nice they let me sit on my bike I did say it was still tight around the crotch but the bike was stationary so I didn't realise and also your being quick so not to piss them off more lol. 

Yeah I've taken a few things back so  and for my size they just don't seem to have the stock in its old sold. 

Cherrs not many bike shops up my way definitely no sportsbike shop in riding distance I would have to go down into England ones up my way are okay there just not got the stock for my size to offer me more choices it more if you find anything that fits you gotta get it  or nothing as like I said the stocks just gone on most other brands at the sizes i need. 

8 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I grow tired of explaining to people (not on this forum) what waterproofing sprays are and what they do. They are utterly pointless for motorcycle riders clothing. If the gear isn’t already waterproof they won’t magically fix that.

thin layer waterproof over garments are the cheapest fix. Best if the pants are made for bikers as the legs tend to be longer and usually have Velcro tabs so you can cinch them up over the boots and stop water getting in. The jacket needs to have longer than normal arms due to stretching to the handlebars. And a high neck.

The long term cure is Goretex. Or one if it’s better copies. Preferably laminated. But this comes at a price. Though you can often find bargains on such places as eBay. Whatever you judge to be your normal size. Go a size up at least. So you have a better chance of a good fit or have room for extra layers underneath as the weather gets colder.

The big plus with goretex is that it’s guaranteed waterproof for the life of the garment. If it leaks Gore will replace it or send you the cash. This assumes the item is undamaged or not falling apart due to normal wear and tear. This alone goes some way towards justifying the higher price tag. No receipt needed. 

I should have explained I have textile trousers and jacket and the pic is just to show wear they came through on my jeans as you wouldn't have been able to see this on my skin I don't think. 

They work pretty good thats the only place that got wet and it got a tad heavy this morning bloody puts me off bikes lol

So yeah my fault I have textile waterproff trousers and jacket 

2 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I wear "waterproof" textiles over my jeans, but they only really keep a light shower away. Unless you spend serious money on laminated or goretex gear then maybe don't expect too much.

Even my one piece rainsuit has been known to let water in around the crotch where it pools.

This is a 2 piece but because of stock issue the jacket and bottoms are different brands but cotton is cotton right.... Yeah like compared to how bad it would be without them id be soaked this is nothing but not 100%

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

You want my opinion ? Dress in whatever bike gear you are comfortable and safe in and then stick a set of " Outdoor " waterproofs such as Karrimor etc from Sports Direct on over the top . Buy big and be prepared to replace them every couple of years . I'm done with so called waterproof textile clothing . None of it ever works for long and everything except the really expensive stuff starts to fall apart from day one . And don't even mention waterproofing sprays because they are just a con . 

I want the protection they offer I had a motorcycle crash when I was younger it hurts and I even got very luck it wasn't worse. 

I'm not messing around with these bad boys I also need to get from A to B as dry as possible. 

57 minutes ago, skyrider said:

the best thing you can do is buy  a waterproof suit from a builders supply and that will be 100% waterproof

I thought off that also I see builder seem dryer than me but the down side it offers no protection at all 

Sorry guys I should have been more clear as technically jeans are also textiles lol... 

I have a 2 piece top is oxford and is okay but again guys only had this one in my size by chance as all the other lines was sold out for 3xl upwards 

The bottoms again the only ones they had in my size has been exchanged already due to a zip issue this is their own brand J&S seems I was getting some splash back from cars and the surface as this is the only location. 

And yeah I know about the sprays my feet get soaked as it just doesn't stop the rain at all from comming in  I think I sprayed a whole bottle onto one pair of boots still gets in so yeah I'm going to have sort that at aswell at some point. 

As for them falling down around the butt crack... Who else's gets this it gets bloody cold with the wind on it lol..... 

They are menat to be zipped but the zips don't match as they are different brands it seems. 

Main concern over a little splash is the tightness around the thigh it worries me as it makes it harder to put my leg down to steady the bike at lights etc and the tightness is general makea it harder to ride. 

Easy solution to this is if they stitched in an extra layer to add movement to the crotch area but seems they haven't figured this out yet. As the extra fabric would give you me more motion 

I'd rather have both protection and waterproofing even to a lesser degree its dangerous out there and I don't want to know how much braking your back hurts or somthing worse.... Like your neck  probably jinked myself now lol. 

Anyway sorry in advance for the spelling mistakes I was trying to reply to all of you guys as fast as possible so might be a few errors that I'm to lazy to now correct via edit... :)

Photos now added of items 

IMG_20221014_192923.jpg

IMG_20221014_193017.jpg

IMG_20221014_193433_edit_217156214721551.jpg

IMG_20221014_193306_edit_217193478093942.jpg

Edited by Riley
My bad gammer

Okay guys you've all been great isn't my stuff  goretex....??? 

Can someone explain what they are and what the difference is between laminated or goretex gear. 

After looking at the price of goretex I think l'll just stay wet lol. 

3 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I get that 2 where it collects on a crease on my jacket right above my belly buttom then ploop it goes right onto my....... 

What do you mean I piece do you mean the overall looking thing like a raincoate material but for all over. 

Mine is a 2 piece be it different brands and is around 80% water proff. 

Boots  need to sort as the sparys just don't work for that level of penetration I guess... 

34 minutes ago, Riley said:

Okay guys you've all been great isn't my stuff  goretex....??? 

Can someone explain what they are and what the difference is between laminated or goretex gear. 

After looking at the price of goretex I think l'll just stay wet lol. 

Gortex is a PTFE that has been super heated and stretched, creating minute holes that sweat molecules can pass through, but not water, so it's breathable and waterproof. 

Gear that has the Gortex lining laminated to the outer is more waterproof than if it is a separate layer, because the laminated one stops water soaking the outer layer. The ones with a layer of Gortex added allows the outer layer to soak up the rain, which will inevitably find its way through so you get wet in places. A cheaper version is called Hipora, it does the job, but not as well. 

Treat your boots with nikwax, make sure to rub it in well, and it will help, though if you want to really keep your feet dry invest in a set of overboots

6 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

Gortex is a PTFE that has been super heated and stretched, creating minute holes that sweat molecules can pass through, but not water, so it's breathable and waterproof. 

Gear that has the Gortex lining laminated to the outer is more waterproof than if it is a separate layer, because the laminated one stops water soaking the outer layer. The ones with a layer of Gortex added allows the outer layer to soak up the rain, which will inevitably find its way through so you get wet in places. A cheaper version is called Hipora, it does the job, but not as well. 

Treat your boots with nikwax, make sure to rub it in well, and it will help, though if you want to really keep your feet dry invest in a set of overboots

Wow okay thanks well out of my price range... 

My boots aren't motorcycle boots or brought as such just normal with some waterproof spray so didn't think it would work for bike riding tbh. 

Wouldn't waterproff boots actually work or at least boots sold as motorcycle waterproff boots surely these are waterproof or is this again not the case? 

Gortex lining laminated to the outer is more waterproof than if it is a separate layer, because the laminated one stops water soaking the outer layer. The ones with a layer of Gortex added allows the outer layer to soak up the rain, which will inevitably find its way through so you get wet in places

Okay so is there 2 kinds then one  that has it layerd outside... You say this is the better than the ones just added as a separate layer??? 

Are both laminated? 

At first you say it only allows sweat through then say you will get wet in places. 

I don't mind getting a little wet no one can aviod it 100% even in cars you gotta get out at some point. 

Just when your jeans are soaked though and socks and boots you can't then carry on in that gear... 

Cherrs

If your boots leak, waterproof socks can be a cheap fix. But they're thicker than normal socks, so you need to have enough give in your boots.

As for waterproof, there are basically three kinds you can choose from

* Expensive waterproof textiles. These are waterproof. GoreTex is the best, but others come close. They'll leak a bit in downpour but otherwise they're 100%.

* Medium price waterproof textiles. These will keep you dry in a shower, keep you damp in rain, and make sure you're soaked in a downpour. 

* Cheap rain suits that go over your normal kit (leathers or textiles). They're are a pain, because you'll want to take them off when it's not raining, but you need to stop and put them back on when it starts again. But they do the job. They're the best option if you're on a budget. You can get separate jacket and pants, or a 1-piece. Separates are easier to get on when the wind's blowing a hoolie.

Edited by bonio

Textile riding kit isn't 100% waterproof, just enough for showers.

I know some people scoff at Oxford kit but my go to wet weather kit is an Oxford overjacket, then I have two alternative sets of trousers, an Oxford bib set for cold weather, and a pair of lightweight Richa overtrousers for the summer.

None of it was expensive but it keeps me bone dry and I ride all year in all weathers. 

I do have some Goretex and it's good, but it's not great on a bike as once it gets dirty it loses some of its waterproofing. By then it's so scruffy I couldn't send it back. 

Try the Oxford overjacket and trousers. They're budget but they work for me. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Textile riding kit isn't 100% waterproof, just enough for showers.

I know some people scoff at Oxford kit but my go to wet weather kit is an Oxford overjacket, then I have two alternative sets of trousers, an Oxford bib set for cold weather, and a pair of lightweight Richa overtrousers for the summer.

None of it was expensive but it keeps me bone dry and I ride all year in all weathers. 

I do have some Goretex and it's good, but it's not great on a bike as once it gets dirty it loses some of its waterproofing. By then it's so scruffy I couldn't send it back. 

Try the Oxford overjacket and trousers. They're budget but they work for me. 

Hi there seems to be somthing getting lost in translation.... As I have already purchased the gear. 

No I don't scoff at anything I have an Oxford jacket and there own brand bottoms... Issue was there low stock in my sizes this is why I had to mix max brands which means I can't use the zip at the back I will try again to day but as you would think a zip is a zip. 

Well the tags say 100% and it was moderate rainfall on the main bad weather since I got them and they stayed dry everywhere apart for my shines. 

My other concerns which no one seems to have addressed is the tightness its so tight around the upper thigh that I have to have the inner lining out to try and give me so room around that area and the tightness make it harder for me to then put my foot down at traffic lights etc.  Also makes changing gear stiffer...? 

Is this normal as this seems like unsafe. 

Also is it just me and my boxers underneath no jeans ect

When you say bone dry.... My jacket doesn't keep me bone dry it gets damp but most doesn't work its way through to my shirt etc which is good considering how bad the wather gets up here. 

Again with the trousers its j&s so just a nice budget own brand.. Again I can't see the difference as the raw materials are the same cotton is cotton lol. 

But obviously some more expensive brands have added extra during the manufacturing process but the own brands seems good also. 

And to be honest I tried and few more expensive brands and they just don't go to my size and I'm not even big I would say I'm average and they just stoped at like 3xl and 3xl wasn't even big if you get my drift they way they label and size things is odd seems richa is an online. 

Mate I tell you that was my go to but because of they way they mess with labels and sizes I had to send it all back so buying clothes online always seems to cost me as they say you didn't use the chart etc. 

But unfortunately the stock situation in my nearest bike shops for my sizes are hit and miss maybe they will restock for all the kids that will get bikes for xmas so online is a no no as I can try stuff on that meets my measurements but doesn't fit so definitely need a place to try one. 

If anyone with more experience can answer the issues about the tightness and the zip bit at the back cherrs. 

Photos attached oxford spartan jacket and j&s bottoms/trousers/pants very nice people just low on my sizes. 

IMG_20221015_055800.jpg

IMG_20221014_192923.jpg

If you've jackets from different brands, there's not much chance of the zips matching. I've never bothered about the zips anyway, although I know I should to be safe, but it's too much faff.

I've one set of textile trousers that are baggy enough to wear over jeans, and another that are strictly boxers only. But neither is too tight to move around. Can you get your foot down reliably? Do you think it's making you unsafe?

Both me and the missus wear RST Atlas textile jackets & trousers. So far they have proved 100% waterproof including getting caught in a major thunderstorm while touring in Italy earlier this year.

RST gear isn't overly expensive but isn't in the cheap and nasty bracket it is however comfortable and the fit is good. Both of us wear "leggings" under the trousers either with or without the liner and they provide plenty of room without being too baggy allowing room for swinging a leg over. The jackets have plenty of ventilation for hotter days with the liner removed but still keeping the waterproofing and warmth if it becomes cooler. With the liner removed from the jackets we wear long sleeved "t" shirts as a base layer which is adequate giving us the ability to refit the liner if needed.

We paid around £300 for each full suit to which I added a pair of RST touring gloves at £49. We've had these nearly 2 years and they are still standing up to the hammer we give them.

I've got Oxford hinterland jacket and trousers.

They have the usual protection you'd expect plus are laminated. I've been in some bad weather in my winter commutes and never got wet. They aren't the cheapest but are probably the cheapest laminate kit out there. I went up a size to allow space for my normal clothes to be worn underneath on the way to work. 

After having laminated kit I can't ever see myself going back to a drop liner. 

When I know the weather is going to be really bad I also wear a cheap oversuit to add another bit of waterproofing. That way the Oxford kit is definitely dry when it's time to go home at the end of the day.

On 15/10/2022 at 18:31, bonio said:

If you've jackets from different brands, there's not much chance of the zips matching. I've never bothered about the zips anyway, although I know I should to be safe, but it's too much faff.

I've one set of textile trousers that are baggy enough to wear over jeans, and another that are strictly boxers only. But neither is too tight to move around. Can you get your foot down reliably? Do you think it's making you unsafe?

Yeah I've had to send them back as they are just to tight around the upper thighs when gear changing but mostly when stability is needed at lights etc... Aka foot down and this is with the inner lining out aswell. 

Either way boxers or jeans I would have thought over the jeans would be a better selling point as you don't have to then nip off to change once you get somewhere. 

But eithrr way doesn't make a difference 

The water issue might be on me as it miggt have soaked up which I get but my trousers are strapped and shoes have been sprayed with the sneaker protector which tbh doesn't seem to work when rain penetration from a motorcycle probably just meant as walking boots. 

Zip did match in the end and found it keeps ghem up and the wind of my carck lol

Edited by Riley
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2022 at 21:59, John Metcalfe said:

Both me and the missus wear RST Atlas textile jackets & trousers. So far they have proved 100% waterproof including getting caught in a major thunderstorm while touring in Italy earlier this year.

RST gear isn't overly expensive but isn't in the cheap and nasty bracket it is however comfortable and the fit is good. Both of us wear "leggings" under the trousers either with or without the liner and they provide plenty of room without being too baggy allowing room for swinging a leg over. The jackets have plenty of ventilation for hotter days with the liner removed but still keeping the waterproofing and warmth if it becomes cooler. With the liner removed from the jackets we wear long sleeved "t" shirts as a base layer which is adequate giving us the ability to refit the liner if needed.

We paid around £300 for each full suit to which I added a pair of RST touring gloves at £49. We've had these nearly 2 years and they are still standing up to the hammer we give them.

I wouldn't mind spending more the thing is I've looked at major brands and they either don't go up to my size which is odd as Id say I'm average build or they haven't got the stock.