New Helmet

I went to Helmet City Chitchester today, previously it’s been one of the few shops that could empty my wallet.

Looking for modular helmet, I asked about the ones on sale “all sales items are only on line”.

Was pointed In the direction of One brand that was it and told there where more modular on the shelves and to have a look.  We where the only customers there was no excuse.

I had to try them on with a disposable balaclava on, similar to this.

DuPont Tyvek 500 Disposable Hood
Great I am between M and L, with balaclava you could not tell which lumps where the helmet or balaclava, trying adding glasses to make it worse. Inside or outside balaclava I could not tell.

On the way out I asked about SatNavs and the difference between the Garmin or Tomtom, there both the same take your pick.  

Suggested I use my phone, which I presently do. However in heavy rain water can play with screen and wiping can shut down satnav screen. Also after a long days ride I think modern phones cannot handle high charge and discharge regularly and even when charging start to go flat.  It’s happened to me a few times now after 5 or so hours.

Oh well another potential sale lost, and a happy misses when I got home learning I had only accidentally bought another bike and not spent anything in the shop…

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Bad service feels worse than bad prices sometimes. 

On your sat nav point I use my phone but use the case from ultimate addons. Been using it for a while and in bad weather. My phone's waterproof, submergible even but the touchscreen gets funny in the rain. The UA case solved all that. 

57 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

Bad service feels worse than bad prices sometimes. 

On your sat nav point I use my phone but use the case from ultimate addons. Been using it for a while and in bad weather. My phone's waterproof, submergible even but the touchscreen gets funny in the rain. The UA case solved all that. 

so have used phone for 8 years, it’s the going flat that’s the problem as much as anything, first year they seem to be ok. After that it doesn’t always maintain charge even when plugged in.

horses for courses on the sat nav front! 

Its a garmin for me https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/497156/#/27907,3203,1186 

The XT has its quirks but it seems to get the better reviews and has a great screen 

I would love to be able to test out a tomtom against the Garmin but I can't justify buying one :lol: 

I'm with the boss @Stu here.

Used the phone as satnav before and it restarted itself because of the heat (France, Spain, Portugal)

the zumo isn't perfect and freezes a few times when you use both satnav and player at same time.

Then gets fed up and reboots.

Never had overheating problems with it and screen is great:thumb:

The story of the costumer service at helmet city reminds me a couple weeks ago I went to a travel agent enquiring for a trip on xmas break.

The lady just did went on expedia website and check the flights. 🙄

• Like 1

Hospitality generally in Europe and uk, Is dropping down rapidly . I know as in the cruise industry most of the company employees are Asians. Not just because of salary as some of them are paid so much that Europeans would work for that money.

point is that Asian people are always smiling, they are always here to help and they always have a time for customers.

Polite and friendly, something that most of Europeans lost some time ago 

• Like 4

Last Helmet City I went into was in Cheddar. They were really great, had lots of useful tips on different lids. Tried it on a few - no balaclava. Wore one for a good 15 minutes before buying it. 

I also learned that each Helmet City store is an independently-run franchise, and they're separate from the online store. Explains the patchy service. 

Bought my current helmet at Helmet City in Cheltenham. Went to try helmet on before buying (as always), had decent service and bought the helmet. Only realised when I got home that I'd paid more than the on line advertised price. Phoned them up and within a few minutes my credit card had been credited with the difference so no complaints from me!