For anyone intending to ride through the Pyrenees

manxie49

Spain ban all motorcycles from the High Pyrenees. Riding in the Pyrenees Mountains ranks near the top of many a motorcyclist’s bucket list. Spanning the border of France, Andorra, and Spain, the range stretches 310 miles from the Mediterranean coast to the Cantabrian Mountains. Within that expanse, meandering switchbacks and breathtaking vistas make the region a destination for nearly all touring riders.
Due to the noise emissions accompanying that two-wheeled tourism, not all Pyrenees communities appreciate the additional patronage, though. One such sector is Spain’s Natural Park of the High Pyrenees, and the Park has banned all internal combustion “motorcycles, quads, ATVs, and non-electric buggies all year round for noise protection reasons.”
The protected area is no small zone either, with nearly 80,000 hectares (197,684 acres) of land comprising the Natural Park of the High Pyrenees. The mandate may exclude motorcycles from local roads and trails, but the laws don’t place similar restrictions on noisy automobiles. That double standard forced Moto de Campo Sostenible, an advocacy group supported by the Spanish Motorcyclists’ Federation (RFME), to classify the closures as “unjustified discrimination.”
The organization contends that a lack of noise limitations imposed on drivers along with the arbitrary ban on motorcycles constitutes prejudice. For that reason, Moto de Campo Sostenible calls upon park management to establish noise thresholds that apply to all vehicles. That, in turn, would open a path for adherent motorcyclists to access the High Pyrenees Park while punishing non-compliant travelers.
It’s worth noting that the organization promotes sustainable and environmentally friendly off-roading for responsible enduro riders. Moto de Campo Sostenible expects much of its members as a result, and it expects the same consistency of land managers.
Still, the Park maintains that its studies aim to “better assess the importance of acoustic quality for the conservation of ecosystems and to understand how noise affects biodiversity.” While Natural Park of the High Pyrenees hasn’t abolished its exclusionary measures, Park Administration has promoted the installation of electric vehicle charging points near and around the region.
Riders can still tick off the Pyrenees Mountains from their bucket lists, but to do so, they may need to purchase/rent an electric motorcycle in the near future.

It's the area in dark green on the map.  Another way of trying to force us to adopt EV's.  It won't affect me as I won't be heading in that direction but just a heads up for anyone who maybe intending to tour the pyrenean mountain passes.

339287288_566801595465362_3961509596189272925_n.jpeg

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Are you a day late? 

April 1st was yesterday! 

Unfortunately not.

However, looking at the area marked in green, it’s not a significant restriction. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Are you a day late? 

April 1st was yesterday! 

Sadly not an April fool joke,  they seem to be joining an ever growing list of restricted roads for Motorcyclists, a trend I'm not enjoying seeing. It aint anything that's going to impact my riding,  I think this one will have more of an impact on those that enjoy getting of the beaten track on the trails.  https://www.rideapart.com/news/659272/high-pyrenees-park-bans-motorcycles/?fbclid=IwAR1vaOz0aW9SmNF_GG6JONXcZw7xfq-oCUzWWk1a2RRnpeoO62XbNP4efzc

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Bender said:

Wales is becoming anti anything that's not pedal power

Soon they will ban sheep....

• Haha 1

It is annoying as in Sept I have a ferry booked to Santander and am planning on going over the mountains to Carcassonne via Andorra so I may be in need of route suggestions lol.

Cheers

Ian

The area of the Pyrenees affected by this proposal. As far as I can tell only has a very few minor roads as through routes, the vast majority of roads go up blind valleys. So it seems to me this change is mostly aimed at off roaders but has dragged in every one else on 2 wheels (or 3) it’s not a touring centre as such. Of course the risk is it expands or spreads to other areas of this is deemed to be a success as and when (or if) it comes into force.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I drove the N625 through the Picos (wishing I was on the Mutley) and there were quite a few bikes on it - mainly Brits - and no signs whatsoever that roads were closed to bikes. What are closed are some of the trails (similar to green lanes) which used to be open to bikes. 

• Like 2

Last time we were in the region we dropped down a few miles south and discovered roads that were a match for the more popular Pyrenean tourist routes. If/when we revisit we would probably do that again, so avoiding the affected area.

23 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

This time of year there's virtually no traffic. It's great. Saw Fred Flintstone's bike:20230516_175600.thumb.jpg.971934b05ddb3c900706781c77e79432.jpg

He’s had an upgrade since he toured Switzerland a few years ago.

B08469CC-B857-43D2-86B9-5DEA1CD6F582.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1