Very Sad

manxie49

I didn't hear about this on the news .... Very sad, and I do agree with this lady.  The same laws should apply to everyone who uses a public highway.  I'm not anti cycling, I ride one myself, but there really are some nobs out there that seem to thing they're above the law, and ruin it for everyone else.

Untitled.jpg

• Sad 3

Very sad...

Police Constable Leanne Howes, of Dorset Police’s serious collision investigation team (SCIT), said: “This is a very sad case that has seen Callum’s family lose their loved one....

“Our investigation was able to prove that the defendant clearly turned in front of the motorcycle, which had right of way, and this resulted in the collision.

“This is a demonstration of the truly awful consequences that can be caused by any road user failing to pay sufficient care and attention.”

The defendant was fined £1000.

Agreed.  About 15 years ago, I was nearly knocked down on a zebra crossing by a lycra clad nob.  All the cars stopped, I was crossing and he overtook all the cars at full speed, never tried to stop.

I saw him out of the corner of my eye and jumped back.

If I saw him a bit earlier I would have grabbed his handlebar and brought him off.  Probably kicked seven bells out of him too.

I have no beef with cyclists in general, but that minority of arrogant ricks wearing lycra and riding in packs who deliberately go out of their way to cause as much disruption as possible need sorting.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, manxie49 said:

I didn't hear about this on the news .... Very sad, and I do agree with this lady.  The same laws should apply to everyone who uses a public highway.  I'm not anti cycling, I ride one myself, but there really are some nobs out there that seem to thing they're above the law, and ruin it for everyone else.

Untitled.jpg

As I always say highways are shared spaces, you need to respect everyone using them otherwise its pointless and dangerous. I think that's the general theme of life today its all about 'me'

• Like 2

It is a really sad case.

I was chatting with a friend today - about the upsurge of 'motorised bikes' - the ones that have motors and peddles - so don't pay tax, you don't have to have training to use - but go super fast.. there were about 8 around my local town center delivering food, they had no road awareness, and it was scary. 

The law should change - I think if you take a bike, e-scooter or e bike on the road you should have 'road awareness certificate' as a minimum.. if the vehicle has a motor you should have to pay to use it too.. and have insurance.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tigs said:

It is a really sad case.

I was chatting with a friend today - about the upsurge of 'motorised bikes' - the ones that have motors and peddles - so don't pay tax, you don't have to have training to use - but go super fast.. there were about 8 around my local town center delivering food, they had no road awareness, and it was scary. 

The law should change - I think if you take a bike, e-scooter or e bike on the road you should have 'road awareness certificate' as a minimum.. if the vehicle has a motor you should have to pay to use it too.. and have insurance.

They are covered by the law, they are power and speed limited for the electric assist. 

Problem is very few stop and checks and some are way beyond the legal limit, we've a few twats near me who go down middle of the road pulling wheelies at 30mph all without peddling 🤔 

• Like 2

A young man of my acquaintance has modified an electric/ pedal bike and it will apparently do about 40mph. He is a fully licensed biker but the machine in question is officially a pedal bike so no tax or insurance and no ppe required either. IMO its a deathtrap and I'm trying to discourage him from using it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

have no beef with cyclists in general, but that minority of arrogant ricks wearing lycra and riding in packs who deliberately go out of their way to cause as much disruption as possible need sorting.

Agreed, Last TT week I came up behind a huge queue of bikes and cars going through Glen Helen.  Like all the other bikes I picked my way as best as possible through the slow moving traffic.  It wasn't until I got to Cronk-Y-Voddy straight that I could see what the hold up was.  Big group of cyclists, riding in a pack, all over the road.  The queue of traffic went back over a mile.  Like you, I aint got nothing against them personally, I know it's just a minority that get everyone tarnished with the same brush.

Edited by manxie49
spelling

On the boat last year heading over to the Lakes, group sat behind us, one guy was bragging about how he'd bought some kit of e-bay that effectively derestricted his e-bike, he reckoned he could easily get 35mph.  It's only a matter of time before someone is killed.  Probably illegal to do what he's done, but as Bender said, there's rarely any checks done on them so how would they know.  I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for this type of thing??

• Like 1

The scooter scheme in my area is run by Voii, and there so-called checks to stop unlicensed people/kids from using the bloody things are non existing, and if you complain to them about kids being on them, or Two up instead of a single passenger they just send you spiel about how l. 4 million journeys have been made, saving the environment etc

7 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

On the boat last year heading over to the Lakes, group sat behind us, one guy was bragging about how he'd bought some kit of e-bay that effectively derestricted his e-bike, he reckoned he could easily get 35mph.  It's only a matter of time before someone is killed.  Probably illegal to do what he's done, but as Bender said, there's rarely any checks done on them so how would they know.  I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for this type of thing??

It's funny though when these twats do come acropper they are always lovely individuals who were adored by everyone and didn't have a bad bone in their body 🤔 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, billy sugger said:

The scooter scheme in my area is run by Voii, and there so-called checks to stop unlicensed people/kids from using the bloody things are non existing, and if you complain to them about kids being on them, or Two up instead of a single passenger they just send you spiel about how l. 4 million journeys have been made, saving the environment etc

They're a fookin menace!  Not just on the roads but the pavements as well .... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bender said:

They are covered by the law, they are power and speed limited for the electric assist. 

Problem is very few stop and checks and some are way beyond the legal limit, we've a few twats near me who go down middle of the road pulling wheelies at 30mph all without peddling 🤔 

I did not know this. I'm guessing with a bit of know how - doctoring them is relatively easy?!

It scares me when In a car - they cut up the inside (ignoring you are turning left) .. dressed head to toe in black - I've nearly swiped two people that way - they had no PPE on - they were so dangerous. I suspect they were oblivious.

I dress for the slide - and would not feel safe doing 30/40 with no helmet - which most of the local 'e-bikes' do - 

• Like 3