Claiming an abandoned bike

Joe85

On 25/08/2023 at 14:10, Joe85 said:

All queries returned - the application has just been sent to the DVLA. Let's see what they say. I doubt it's going to be this easy.

I went through this will a D14 I found abandoned in Gibraltar - This had no reg plate at all and was in a very bad state (salt air).

The end result was a 'new' reg from DVLA, and a sale once I had got it road worthy.

The process is simple but 'long winded' and sloooooow!

Hope you get it running again.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As expected, the first request was rejected by the DVLA. The good news is that they sent quite a detailed letter explaining what I need to do to claim the bike. The bad news is they require an MOT cert (the problem with that being that I don't have the bloody key!).

I also need a letter from Aprilla confirming the details of the bike (make, model, age etc), and they want their money (bast*rds).

Judging by my last post, it looks like it's around 3 weeks for them to receive, action, and reply. Not too bad.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Finally got around to ringing the DVLA who kindly gave me a bit more details as to what is required. The good news is that it appears to relatively simple and that only two documents stand between me and the keys.

Since I don’t have the keys, there’s no way for me to have the bike tested to ensure conformity (which DVlA said was needed in rejection letter). In lieu of that, I can instead request a certificate of conformity from Aprilla, along with a signed dating letter stating the manufacture data of the vehicle.

it will cost me £180 to get these from Aprilla, so let’s see what they say!

Nearly there.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 2

Even with the V5C I don’t think Aprilla will be able to cut me a key though, right? Assume they’d need the code that came with the keys when new, which I won’t have.

Does this mean a new barallel?

Do you need a key for petrol cap too?

Might be worth talking to a locksmith, if they can read the wafers and cut you one?

But ... I just ordered new barrel for a doer upper Deauville, £8 Chinesium one on ebay 🙂

Edited by Shepherd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe85 said:

Even with the V5C I don’t think Aprilla will be able to cut me a key though, right? Assume they’d need the code that came with the keys when new, which I won’t have.

A decent auto locksmith should be able to sort you out with a key, note, there isn't as many wafers in the petrol cap as in the ignition barrel. Do you know if the bike has a factory immobiliser system, if so you will need a transponder key programming. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Update: Finally got around to ringing the DVLA who kindly gave me a bit more details as to what is required. The good news is that it appears to relatively simple and that only two documents stand between me and the keys.

Since I don’t have the keys, there’s no way for me to have the bike tested to ensure conformity (which DVlA said was needed in rejection letter). In lieu of that, I can instead request a certificate of conformity from Aprilla, along with a signed dating letter stating the manufacture data of the vehicle.

it will cost me £180 to get these from Aprilla, so let’s see what they say!

Nearly there.

For my D14, the DVLA sent a bloke round to look at the Bike (still with bits missing) - He checked the frame and engine numbers against a list in a book he had and confirmed the bike was indeed a Bantam D14 (at least the engine and frame). Aprilla conformity check costing £180...... All they need to do is check the frame and engine numbers to see when it was manufactured and the model of the bike!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe85 said:

No clue mate sorry, never nicked a bike before myself

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Joe85 said:

I can't speak for aprilia but triumph did me one off the VIN. But I did need the V5C

The dealer claimed they couldn't, I'd heard rumblings so I rang the head office and they confirmed they could do it so I asked the dealer again so they found out how and eventually after about 6 weeks I got a new key for £30 odd.

Worth asking

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Joe85 said:

With all the correct information and the right to ownership they can cut you a key and do the alarm and immobiliser if fitted too 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Catch 22. 

1. Aprilia cant issue a certificate of conformity because the bike is US spec and does not conform to EU.

2. DVLA will not issue V5C without certificate of conformity OR MSVA test. 

3. Need the key to conduct MSVA test.

4. Aprilia wont give key without V5C. 

Could be the end of the road. 

Hi @Joe85 I totally agree with @Bender but would ask another question which I will understand if you would rather not answer.

Have you been able to recover the bike to a safe place where you can work on it? As I reckon a good auto electrician and a secondhand lock set could solve a lot of your issues.

Please don`t give up as I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Hi @Joe85 I totally agree with @Bender but would ask another question which I will understand if you would rather not answer.

Have you been able to recover the bike to a safe place where you can work on it? As I reckon a good auto electrician and a secondhand lock set could solve a lot of your issues.

Please don`t give up as I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks, mate,

Yes i moved it over the weekend to my garage under orders from the employer. So technically im storing it.

I've managed to remove the sheer bolt holding the ignition in place, and have removed the barrel. This allows me to actuate the ignition, but the battery is totally dead at this point, so need to figure a way of getting to it to replace it. The former owner did, however, leave an optimate cable hanging from the rear seat. Curiously, when plugged in (with ignition off) the tail light flashes once every 5 seconds...

It can be done, I'm sure.

This company are in Powys, but there must be others near you?

https://motomatrix.co.uk/

They should be able to sort keys for the barrel and code them for you - once you convince them the bike is yours!

Edited by Shepherd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Shepherd said:

It can be done, I'm sure.

This company are in Powys, but there must be others near you?

https://motomatrix.co.uk/

They should be able to sort keys for the barrel and code them for you - once you convince them the bike is yours!

Thank you for this!

After reading your post I did indeed speak to a company offering a similar service who are prepared to cut and code me a key so long as i send them accompanying correspondence I've had with the police regarding the bike. 

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Thank you for this!

After reading your post I did indeed speak to a company offering a similar service who are prepared to cut and code me a key so long as i send them accompanying correspondence I've had with the police regarding the bike. 

Great news 😁

• Like 1