Claiming an abandoned bike

Joe85

Close... so close. The good news is I successfully disarmed the immobiliser with the new code, the bad news is the immobiliser doesn't recognise the key, so it means putting the code in every time. Immotech offered to take another look rill resolved, but I suspect it may be a damaged RFID antenna when removing the sheer bolt, so may order a new one anyway.

Unfortunately, the battery is too weak after 24 hours of charging. The bike powers up, but it doesn't have the charge to turn it over. I've got a replacement coming tomorrow so no big deal. I need to drain the petrol from the tank anyway - don't want to clog the fuel system with gammy petrol.

• Like 3

My curiosity got the better of me :D

I ignored my own advice of draining the fuel, and just decided to give it a jump from the S1000R - unfortunately didn't work. It sounds like it's lazily trying to crank but just not getting there. Any ideas?

Ok,  one more attempt - this time with the S100R running at steady at 14.3v.

Two faults on the dahs in the diagnostics menu:

DSB03  - which is an immobiliser antenna failure as "Active"

DSB08 - which is an oil pressure sensor fault which was "mem". When cleared, didn't return.

Forgot to breathe while watching those.

If I were you I'd get that fuel out of the tank before you go any further. Don't know what state it's in.

Starter motor sounds like it's at death's door. Hopefully with a new battery it will do better.

🤞

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe85 said:

unfortunately didn't work. It sounds like it's lazily trying to crank but just not getting there. Any ideas?

The battery is screwed from standing! Get a new one on it and it should be sorted 

• Like 1

Hi @Joe85, I'm with @bonio on this get rid of the fuel first before trying to start it!!! I find Harleys will start on old fuel, but most modern bike's hate it, and if it's been in tank a long time can do damage when trying to start.

Last year a guy down the road brought his Blackbird up, been sat a few years, the fuel had taken out the fuel pressure regulator, for some reason, had to take the injectors out as well to clean them.

I left my other Vfr800 with fuel in it for 2 years, when I went to use it the Rubber unit around Fuel pump in tank had melted!!!!!! Came out in a moulded lump, managed to save pump.

But I would really open tank and check that fuel, or get it out before starting, they can be serious expensive if thing's go wrong.

• Like 1

Looks like you're down to the last bits, and you've got a fully operational Aprilia Tuono for next to no investment. It's a lottery win for a biker!

Can't say I'm not jealous, but I bet half of people will be congratulating you through gritted teeth :lol: 

American Psycho Impressive GIF - American Psycho Impressive Very Nice -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Looks like you're down to the last bits, and you've got a fully operational Aprilia Tuono for next to no investment. It's a lottery win for a biker!

Can't say I'm not jealous, but I bet half of people will be congratulating you through gritted teeth :lol: 

American Psycho Impressive GIF - American Psycho Impressive Very Nice -  Discover & Share GIFs

I'm not gritting my teeth, good luck with the minor bits left to do,  it's not very often finders keepers works 😂

• Like 1

Ran it up for 20 minutes to warm the oil, and have now left it draining. Again, it didn't look too bad but may as well. New oil and filter come tomorrow so in the meantime will disassemble the brakes for an inspection and clean.

Unfortunately, immobiliser antenna is not a standalone part meaning I need to buy an entire ignition kit (which Aprilia wants £300 for). Luckily managed to find a used one on eBay for £170. Shame as I dont need the other components, just the antenna but it is what it is. Weighed out on some new Rizoma mirrors and will probably put some new grips on it too. All in all, spending so far has hit just under £900, with another £200-£300 to go (MSVA Test, registration, MOT etc)

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 5

Replaced oil and coolant today. Also flushed/replaced the rear brake fluid as the lever had a lot of travel before actuating the brake; I thought there might be air in the system, but it didn't cure it. Normally used to maybe an inch of travel on the peddle to activate the break, on this is a good two to three inches of movement - you have to press it all the way down.

• Like 1

Hi,

not sure on that one but on my Yamaha the rear brake peddle had a similar feel. You can however adjust the height of the lever to take up some of that slack. That and some new sintered pads made all the difference.

• Like 1

Right...

MSVA application for a test in Gillingham submitted. I've read through the manual, and it's pretty in-depth but i can't see why the US Spec wouldn't pass - the headlight conforms to E13 which is Luxembourg (apparently) but it doesn't dip to the left or the right, which I think is acceptable. I also looked at UK and US parts lists for the Tuono and both have the same part numbers for the headlight and bulbs. Curiously, the side stand has a different part number 🤔. The only thing i can think may be different is the emissions/noise. I think the test is £80, so easier just to let them inspect it and give me a list of things to correct. Does anyone know if hazard lights are a UK requirement? Because this bike doesn't have a switch for them.

Also, the Immobiliser antenna comes today, so i can finally button it all up completely and give it a good clean and some chain maintenance - then i think it's pretty much done until the inspection.

PS. I gave it a cheeky spin up and down the road - it's awesome. :D

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2