Claiming an abandoned bike

Joe85

I feel like I've had my ar*ehole resized by Aprilia. The DVSA told me i needed a dating letter confirming the date of manufacture from Aprilia. Great. No problem... spoke to Aprilia who charged me £50 quid for the privilege.

Well, the "letter" turned up today. It's a blank bit of paper with 2 lines on it - "bike was manufactured in 2016."🥲

Cheers.

IMG_1907.jpeg

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Hi,

well to be fair to them they have done exactly what you asked for. Somebody would have had to look through the database and write that up and post it. Could have been worse.

Good luck with it all by the way, interesting read. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Hi,

well to be fair to them they have done exactly what you asked for. Somebody would have had to look through the database and write that up and post it. Could have been worse.

Good luck with it all by the way, interesting read. 🙂

Indeed, although i thought for £50 they could have at least included a month or day or something. :)

16 hours ago, Joe85 said:

"bike was manufactured in 2016."🥲

Stupid question but, have you tried one of those VIN decoder websites? I just stuck the details of my BMW into one and it told me everything from the date it was assembled to the accessories added when ordered.

https://en.vindecoder.pl/   and many others.

Worth a shot.

• Like 1

Anyhoo... dropped the instrument cluster and ignition with 'Immotech' in Peckham. I opted to drive there and hand it to him personally, with an agreement for payment on collection rather than him posting it for a few reasons:

The horror story from the link above has me a bit worried. I can handle being £300 out of pocket on a gamble, but i'd be significantly more devastated to not receive the dash/ignition back too, as it'd cost me well over a grand to replace, and i'd be no further forward.

Secondly, i wanted to see if he'd object to me handing it over in person, and thirdly i wanted to see his workshop to make sure it wasn't just some forwarding address or something. Turns out it's a proper workshop. So either he's legit or he's a master thief.

Scheduled to collect on Monday - still 50/50 at this point whether I'll see the bits again. Im hoping, worst case, that i have, at a minimum, a key to get the rear seat off by Monday which will give me access to the battery.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capt Sisko said:

Stupid question but, have you tried one of those VIN decoder websites? I just stuck the details of my BMW into one and it told me everything from the date it was assembled to the accessories added when ordered.

https://en.vindecoder.pl/   and many others.

Worth a shot.

Thanks mate, yes i did. Weirdly the DVSA told me not to resend that document.

6 minutes ago, Capt Sisko said:

Cut & Paste it onto the letter from Piaggio. Photoshop's a wonder thing!

The thing is, they were weirdly specific "It has to be the original letter". I thought for the money I'd be getting some sort of cert with a watermark or something, but it's literally straight off of the HP InkJet under someone's desk. :D

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Anyhoo... dropped the instrument cluster and ignition with 'Immotech' in Peckham. Either he's legit or he's a master thief.

Workshop in Peckham? Under the arches perhaps? Clearly a master thief.

But while a casual lad takes little pride in his work, a professional takes pleasure in doing a proper job. You'll get it back, for sure. 

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

Well - that was an eventful day!

Immotech messaged me at 11 am saying collection from 3 pm onwards would be fine. Then, around midday, he messaged again saying he was having some issues with the dash - uh oh. He wanted pictures of the ECU and said he would need more time to fix it. Cue major disappointment. Then again at around 1 pm he messaged that he needed to open up the dash unit and that it may leave some marks on the plastic. I told him to crack on. Finally, at 2:30 pm,m he messaged to say it was ready for collection. Wooo!

The collection was straightforward - he handed me the dash (with some minor pry marks) the ignition and two cut keys, and gratefully paid him then and there via PayPal.

KTkEkgK.jpg

After racing back at home - first test was the rear seat lock:

Finally! with the rear seat off i was able to access and remove the battery for charging/conditioning on the Optimate 4:

cocQ5my.jpg

Once it's fully charged, i'll whack it back in and try and start her up. 50% there, fingers crossed. :)

image.thumb.jpeg.72f61f787e11026d3d27a2bcc264b5cb.jpeg

All in all, im one step further forward. Remains to be seen if he really has recoded the immobiliser.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 7

I love this thread it just keeps giving with highs and lows so your perseverance is to be applauded.

Keep it up and when you get it finally sorted get out and about next year and take lots of pics.

Alternatively track day it and thrash the doodads out of it.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 3

Looks like the battery is recoverable - It's currently charging away nicely. Bit bored of waiting, though, so started buttoning it up. I consider myself an expert on Tuono front-end disassembly/reassembly, although some cheeky bugger appears to have put two extra screws in my bowl. :D

Went back together surprisingly easily (not including the two rogue screws that are part of a set of 8 that hold the dash cowling together that i cannot find a hole for - it'll be fine...).

• Like 2
  • Haha 5