AIRBAG JACKETS

Trooper74

Yes Nick that was my concern, there is a lack of good information and I know if I go to show stand which they will recommend, just interested in real people's views and which version they have and say are good, just so I can put it all together before i try them both on, thanks for your time Nick

Depends on what you want and feel is correct to you.

The nest is more compact mostly due to the knox aegis back protector pictured below which i have in my track suit, being thinner and actuated with moving plates like a lobster, curves when u want to but doesn't want to hyper extend the other way which would be really bad...
This is still a lv2, quite breathable, very light, not Affected by heat variations in performance.

IMG_1187.thumb.jpeg.c565cd538aa4149682b709f0a3ddd103.jpeg

the SAS is abit more conventional and cheaper to make in certain terms as to put it crudely expanding foam so at the cheaper end of RST and held for examples.
Its performance i cant remember exactly if its a level 1 or two but thinking its more on lv1 as they take the view that the air bag will do most of the work...id prefer it the other way.

So similar to armour within most clothing you probably have now in terms of thickness or stiffness but yet not as stiff or chunky as forcefield products which for the record are good but not for me. They have heat variations in performance so nice to check that your happy with those.

Dont be too concerned about the fork sensor to speed things up as the lanyard setup at 30ms is absurdly quick and reliable so to me no point in introducing another variable to confuse or depend on.

the nest is more than enough for the road, will be the most comfortable and less bulky but thats my preference.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on airvest, due to work couldn't get to show stands, but tracked dealer down in Diss,Norfolk, English Electric Motor Company, Alec there was brilliant, got to try on various vests and surprised by the one that actually fitted me properly,  so must to try on first, got great discount and spare cannister, so very pleased, decided to go with helite turtle 2, picking it up feels heavy, but once on was so comfortable, you forget its there, and can adjust fitting to which jacket I'm wearing, would highly recommend and if you live in Diss/Redgrave area, this place is well worth a visit. Thanks for everyone's input, so I could make an informed decision

• Like 4

On 22/11/2023 at 10:12, Angela Collen said:

Update on airvest, due to work couldn't get to show stands, but tracked dealer down in Diss,Norfolk, English Electric Motor Company, Alec there was brilliant, got to try on various vests and surprised by the one that actually fitted me properly,  so must to try on first, got great discount and spare cannister, so very pleased, decided to go with helite turtle 2, picking it up feels heavy, but once on was so comfortable, you forget its there, and can adjust fitting to which jacket I'm wearing, would highly recommend and if you live in Diss/Redgrave area, this place is well worth a visit. Thanks for everyone's input, so I could make an informed decision

Yup, that's the one I have. I've found it comfortable to ride in. 

I'm tempted by the 20% off this weekend. But I'm just picturing getting ready for work and having the airbag, then the jacket and then possibly oversuit if it's hammering rain. Potentially a heated jacket too. I'd have more layers than an onion on.

On the worst day of commuting.

Shirt

Keiss heated jacket

Oxford jacket

Helite

Oversuit

And then my backpack.

Feels like overkill.

• Like 1

I have to say, having taken a car to the ribs, they do take a particularly long time to heal - it inhibits so much of what you do normally. But i just cannot bring myself to buy one. Like Dave, it just feels like far too many layers, although i say this in ignorance having never tried one on.

I don't find my Tech-Air 5 a problem except when the temperature is above 30C. It adds a layer but just means I leave another layer off. In this weather I have quilted liner, airbag, Goretex jacket and it's fine. I haven't bounced down the road (ever) to find out how it works with/without an airbag.

30 minutes ago, keith1200rs said:

I don't find my Tech-Air 5 a problem except when the temperature is above 30C. It adds a layer but just means I leave another layer off. In this weather I have quilted liner, airbag, Goretex jacket and it's fine. I haven't bounced down the road (ever) to find out how it works with/without an airbag.

Same here, T-shirt, Tech-Air, Jacket. No issue.

The Helite Turtle goes over my usual jacket. On hot days I wear a mesh jacket and the Helite still allows enough air to circulate.  

If it's torrential I wear a waterproof overjacket on top. I found my usual one fits over the vest no problem. 

I wouldn't wear a backpack whilst wearing an airvest. 

Before I got one I assumed they would be bulky but whilst it is heavy it is no problem once you put it on. 

• Like 1