AIRBAG JACKETS

Trooper74

I went on a taster ride with the IAM, noticed a lot of the members where wearing hi-viz airbag jackets ... 

Does anyone have any thoughts on these  inflatable jackets and their effectiveness ..

There's a great video on youtube of a guy riding with one on, and he comes off, bounces around a bit and then gets up shouting "it saved me! my jacket saved my life!" or something like that. 

To my mind they make a lot of sense; having something to protect your spine and rib cage can only help. So I did get myself one and used it for a few years, especially as I was commuting in the dark on empty roads. But now with covid I don't commute, so I sold it on. 

I winced at the cost but stumped up for the Alpinestars Tech Air 5 and I must admit, it's great - not that I've used it in anger!

Fits well, very comfortable, gives passive back protection even without inflation, don't know you're wearing it once out and about.

I had a static inflation demo at the shop which whilst quite alarmed at the large degree it inflates, gives a tremendous feeling of security and peace of mind.

The phone app it comes with is really good too (optional use) and stores your rides, averages and other data etc.

Highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

Why does covid stop you commuting ... that was then .. this is now ...

Polite query ...

Fair question...

I've been into work about half a dozen times since covid, but each time the place is deserted - everyone's working from home. So why go in?

It's a round trip of 150 miles; I used to do it a few times a month and work at home for the rest, but now I save it for sunny days when I just need to be out on two wheels.

• Like 2

I'd love to buy one of these but a few things stop me.

They are quite expensive but that's what credit cards are for.

None of them have a laminated outer shell or gortex.

I wear a backpack a lot. I don't think they are compatible with a bag full of stuff that weighs a few kg. 

I've been using a tethered Helite for about 18months now and it's got it's pros & cons (excluding the obvious that it's step up on the level of protection).

Pros.

Once on, it's comfortable. The thing weighs a good bit, but as I'm told with wearing medieval chain-mail, the weight spread out over your body so you don't really notice it, plus you're sat down.

It's Hi-Viz and got reflective bits (if that floats your boat).

The tether means you don't have to charge it. Wear, click the tether and go

It's an extra layer of warm in the cold.

Due to the extra protection I've taken the back armour out of my jacket. This makes the jacket much more comfortable, but obviously that's just me & mine.

Cons.

The things bloody heavy, but see above.

It's an extra layer in the hot, but it's not that bad, though the vest will get in the way of your jacket's vents.

You have to remember to tether up, though it's more than remembering to switch on the intercom or turn on the sat nav.

The Yellow gets mucky around the collar.

Off the bike mine tends to flop open when I'm standing around wearing it with the three plastic unclipped so, I tend to take it off when hanging around which leads to:-

The thing doesn't fold. Yes the corners & collar fold in, but it's still a bulky thing to fit into a top box or pannier.

They're blooming expensive.

Overall I still happy I bought mine and wear it every trip (even when it was 33c last summer).

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1

I have a helite tethered vest ( not hi viz) hope it is never needed several of the guys I ride with have similar devices.

There is a petition on gov.uk  to get the VAT removed from these pieces of kit

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/644555?fbclid=IwAR3PgK1mv04Vy5F5NFnfwIpuGlknOsrLzD3LaUrVr2X4D4EA3IKMg9PVlic

31 minutes ago, exportmanuk said:

There is a petition on gov.uk  to get the VAT removed from these pieces of kit

The problem with this petition is whoever thought of it didn't think it through.

Firstly a precedent has already been set, and not in our favour. Life Jackets, (which have saved far more lives than any air vest have or ever will will do) are subject to VAT, (with an exemption for children's / up to 40kg). If . gov won't give a VAT exemption to something that is compulsory safety equipment on certain types of boats, you're going to be hard pressed to persuade them that an optional extra bit of kit is of greater significance and they've got to give it VAT exemption.
The second is that air vest are not manufactured to a recognised PPE standard, in fact they don't appear to be made to any standard, (though the the equestrian industry is working on their side of that). Being blunt, .gov isn't going to give a VAT exemption for something that isn't built to a recognised safety standard.
Whilst I'd very like to see all safety equipment VAT exempt, I cant see air vests ever being so.
Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Why does covid stop you commuting ... that was then .. this is now ...

Polite query ...

Because most people work from home these days as a result of dinosaurs updating their ways after covid forced the change.

did before covid to be fair, I do now - office is a boiling hot shithole with piss coffee full of noisy ***** who just sit there nattering while I'm trying to work, and people with no proper social life. But I digress...

I rather like these vests they're meant to be the bollocks in an off. But the reality is I wouldn't wear one every ride, if your rides are exclusively for pleasure then I reckon it's a sound bet. 

If like me you use your bike for everything you aren't going to piss about with a vest realistically. I'd like one I could retrofit to my jacket (or that came as part of a decent leather jacket) and that works on gyro rather than pullcord.

Edited by megaross

Megaross with what your thinking youd like You can get them but it wont be the helilite one. 
with the intergrated or inside vest type:

they aren't on every make or model which means if that jacket doesn't fit you neither will the integrated vest and not ment to fit to another one of the same make let alone a different brand.

the jackets needs a burst zone to expand into when activated which is why they say you dont wear a back back with one.

Depending on make and model (Alpine or Dain) requires resending to the company (italy for example) to be inspected, reset and packaging back to you after a couple of puffer jacket times and thats if your luck, for it to be damaged or scuffed which case you have to buy a new one again.

still very expensive most are with a subscription and a 3/4year service life product, hardware or software like a contract phone service but if you dont pay it dont work.

I don't mind the idea of them and they do have valid uses but they dont fit me and i couldn't justify it for me and my use cases, maybe the helilite one in the future.

I use a Helite tethered vest. I found I very soon got used to it and even in hot weather it allows enough air to circulate when moving. 

I bought it when I got a tax refund. Beforehand I'd ridden years without one. I wouldn't ride without it now. 

I researched the options and the Helite works for me. No batteries to charge. Cheap and easy to re-arm, you can buy cartridges from SBS. 

I got the hi-viz version which gets pretty grubby as I ride all year round. That doesn't worry me as most of my kit is hammered anyway. 

I had the Helite; as the bullfrog says: no subscription, no batteries, no electronics, and something like £25 for a new cartridge should you ever inflate it.

I only ever had it inflate once, when I came off at a ford.

Very heavy, but you honestly don't feel the weight when you're on the bike. Definitely warmer, though, when wearing it, as it blocks the jackets vents.

A friend has the Dainese one - also warm - and he'd often finish a ride saying he'd forgotten to switch the thing on. With the Helite you do need to remember to tether it, but you can easily check it's on while riding, and tether up at the next set of lights if you need.

12 hours ago, daveinlim said:

I'd love to buy one of these but a few things stop me.

They are quite expensive but that's what credit cards are for.

None of them have a laminated outer shell or gortex.

I wear a backpack a lot. I don't think they are compatible with a bag full of stuff that weighs a few kg. 

I'd they stay inflated under the weight of a rider hitting the deck at 90 I reckon they will shun off a backpack pretty easily! 

I have an Rst suit with built in inmotion for track. Haven't used it in anger but it's built in so very easy, no tethers to remember etc. 

I bought the software outright, I'm not paying a monthly subscription! 

"apologies, your credit card failed so your jacket didn't inflate". F that. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Angela Collen said:

Hi guys, Helite hi vis sounds good, can someone explain to this dummies what tethered means?

Tethered as in a fixed lanyard attached to the bike so in the event of an off the jacket is triggered.

Think of the hi-viz string showing someone when their disc lock is fitted sort of thing.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, I know nothing about these, but very interesting,  could you tell me is it easy to untether yourself from bike when you want to dismount? I assume you wear this particular make over the top of your leather jacket? Thanks for your time

15 minutes ago, Angela Collen said:

Thanks Ian, I know nothing about these, but very interesting,  could you tell me is it easy to untether yourself from bike when you want to dismount? I assume you wear this particular make over the top of your leather jacket? Thanks for your time

I believe the clip for attachment is similar to the kind of thing used for a dog lead or keys etc so should be simple to operate and has already been said it`s just a matter of getting the memory to connect to become automatic rather like the wearing of seatbelts.

Cheers

Ian

The Tech-Air 5 states that it has been tested with a 6kg backpack.

In don't understand the concerns about having to send it back to be inspected and recharged - by the time I have the bike repaired and I am fit to ride again I will have it back.

• Like 1