AIRBAG JACKETS

Trooper74

Had a helite tethered ever since I first saw one at motorcycle live about 5 years ago. The guy did a demo on me and I was convinced, bought one there and then.

The only times I’ve ridden without it has been when I’ve done test rides as it’s a tethered one. 

I know they are expensive but my theory is if things go wrong and you’re flying through the air then you couldn’t spend money fast enough to prevent an injury so paying now is worth it, to me at least. 

It's worth getting someone who knows about them to help you size them, as you need to get the right amount of free play between you and the jacket to allow the inflated air bag to give you the support to your back and neck without putting you in a stranglehold.

10 hours ago, megaross said:

Because most people work from home these days as a result of dinosaurs updating their ways after covid forced the change.

did before covid to be fair, I do now - office is a boiling hot shithole with piss coffee full of noisy ***** who just sit there nattering while I'm trying to work, and people with no proper social life. But I digress...

I rather like these vests they're meant to be the bollocks in an off. But the reality is I wouldn't wear one every ride, if your rides are exclusively for pleasure then I reckon it's a sound bet. 

If like me you use your bike for everything you aren't going to piss about with a vest realistically. I'd like one I could retrofit to my jacket (or that came as part of a decent leather jacket) and that works on gyro rather than pullcord.

Sorry thats nonsense ... the majority of people that work cannot work from home ... thats a daft thing to say ....

7 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

The Tech-Air 5 states that it has been tested with a 6kg backpack.

In don't understand the concerns about having to send it back to be inspected and recharged - by the time I have the bike repaired and I am fit to ride again I will have it back.

Agreed - if I ever need it, the process and cost of inspection and recharge will be the least of my worries. 

I didn't even know this was an actual thing.  Just been looking on amazon, they are not too expensive I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIMESS-Motocross-Motorcycle-Motorcyclists-Cylinder/dp/B09SZD2S4G/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3G1XUWJ6T4X64&keywords=air+jacket&qid=1698433067&sprefix=air+jacket+biker%2Caps%2C1514&sr=8-5

£123 on Amazon.  Doesn't say if you wear them on top of another jacket or if it replaces your original jacket.

4 minutes ago, janinej said:

I didn't even know this was an actual thing.  Just been looking on amazon, they are not too expensive I guess.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KIMESS-Motocross-Motorcycle-Motorcyclists-Cylinder/dp/B09SZD2S4G/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3G1XUWJ6T4X64&keywords=air+jacket&qid=1698433067&sprefix=air+jacket+biker%2Caps%2C1514&sr=8-5

£123 on Amazon.  Doesn't say if you wear them on top of another jacket or if it replaces your original jacket.

That goes over the top 

17 hours ago, Angela Collen said:

I'm sold on this make, but as I don't live near dealer who stocks these, how does sizing work as over jacket, is it adjustable? 

There's a lot of adjustment in the Helite. If I remember right I went for my usual size as they are designed to fit over your usual jacket. 

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

I have a Helite Hi-Vis untethered.  I didn't buy it new, bought it 2nd hand.  A bit dirty from use but at £250 it was a bargain.  Comfortable to wear, remembering to keep it charged is a pain, worn it a few times and it's started beeping at me to tell me the charge is low.  It lasts about twenty odd hours on a full charge.  I like the fact it can be repacked yourself if it inflates, it helps keep you warm and dry on the cold winter commutes, and, with the fork sensor, will also detect falls or rear end shunts when at a stand still.  Personally I prefer to be untethered, I always worry about walking away from the bike and forgetting to disconnect.

11 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

I have a Helite Hi-Vis untethered.  I didn't buy it new, bought it 2nd hand.  A bit dirty from use but at £250 it was a bargain.  Comfortable to wear, remembering to keep it charged is a pain, worn it a few times and it's started beeping at me to tell me the charge is low.  It lasts about twenty odd hours on a full charge.  I like the fact it can be repacked yourself if it inflates, it helps keep you warm and dry on the cold winter commutes, and, with the fork sensor, will also detect falls or rear end shunts when at a stand still.  Personally I prefer to be untethered, I always worry about walking away from the bike and forgetting to disconnect.

That is something I would do, walk away and it would go off.  Is the one on Amazon cheap and nasty?  How much do they usually go for if second hand £250 is a bargain?  Please could someone post links.

I will need a size 'extra small' but maybe a 'small' if it has to go over a jacket.  I'm only 5'0.

JJ

I bought this one locally of a guy who was selling up, giving up biking, compared to the new price £250 was a snip.  The only thing I did after I bought it was to send it back to Helite and have it serviced, they even give it a bit of clean.  I don't know about the one on Amazon, however I'm always very careful about buying things like this from sites such as Amazon and E-bay.  A good starting point is Sports bike Shop, have a look at the different products, read the reviews and do some hunting ...... In fairness to the tethered vests, I don't actually think they inflate that easily, I think you'd realise you were still tethered before they inflated, but yes, it is the sort of stupid thing I would do, probably parked at the Creg TT week with a thousand other bikers stood around pissing themselves laughing 🤣  Oh, final thought, the vest is comfortable when riding the Tracer, however, on the Beamer, which is a sports bike, I don't wear it.  The collar of the vest hits the back of the helmet and stops me comfortably being able to move my head, it sort of pushes my head forward due to the riding position, just something to think about. 👍

Edited by manxie49

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

........ I always worry about walking away from the bike and forgetting to disconnect.

In 18months of use and yes, having forgotten to unteather mine on numerous occasions it's never gone off. All that said, if / when time comes to replace mine, I'd either replace it with an untreather one or a jacket with a build in air vest.

2 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

In 18months of use and yes, having forgotten to unteather mine on numerous occasions it's never gone off. All that said, if / when time comes to replace mine, I'd either replace it with an untreather one or a jacket with a build in air vest.

Yes, agreed, you do have to give the things a good old tug before they go off, I seen one being demonstrated two years ago, look on the guys face who was wearing it was classic! 😆

On 27/10/2023 at 09:47, geofferz said:

I'd they stay inflated under the weight of a rider hitting the deck at 90 I reckon they will shun off a backpack pretty easily! 

My concern is that if I carry a 35l bag most of the time and if the airbag went off that in the fraction of a second it take to inflate the airbag will push through the point of least resistance. A heat full bag may cause the airbag to push towards my ribs. And I'm too vain to put a topbox on my CBR 😂

Looking at the helite vest, there seems to be two versions of tethered type, the original airnest with knox back protector on inside about £300 new, then turtle with sas back protector on outside at £550, which version have you guys used, just so I can make informed purchase, thanks

Thank you RideWithStyles, I was planning on trying them on, but different places have different styles they sell and quite a difference in price for the newer one (tyrtle) so was wondering whether turtle is worth the extra or if airnest is still good kit, if I can't go to nec in November, sportsbikeshop have both to try, only info I can get online is slightly different material(as you said) and back protector changed, hence question, thanks

Thank you RideWithStyles, I was planning on trying them on, but different places have different styles they sell and quite a difference in price for the newer one (tyrtle) so was wondering whether turtle is worth the extra or if airnest is still good kit, if I can't go to nec in November, sportsbikeshop have both to try, only info I can get online is slightly different material(as you said) and back protector changed, hence question, thanks