Chargers

What chargers are you wonerful lot recommending? I keep looking at the Optimates, but not certain which one to go for.

I have dislike for anything Oxford as the few item's I've bought over the last couple of years simply do not last. So are there any other brands worth looking at?

• Like 1

I use a Cetek which I have had for years and is very useful and also reliable. It just works really so I would buy another for sure.

Not cheap but just does the job. 

I have to say I tend to agree with you about Oxford, that has been my experience as well.

• Like 2

I’ve always used the optimate. But only ever as a charger. I’ve never seen the point of keeping it constantly connected. Now using a lithium charger as that’s the battery type my bike has. If yours is lithium you must use the correct charger type. A standard charger will destroy a lithium battery. Bought one, but not needed to use it yet aside from testing it worked.

Hi,

no problems with oxford products for me, l use the solar powered optimiser. Highly recommended for the price of fish and chips and a can of pop twice please.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206242

Optimate 4, been using them for a long time now on all my bikes, never had any issues.  I even go away on holiday and leave the bike plugged into the Optimate.  I have an off road bike, doesn't get used regularly, and it's always left plugged in to keep it maintained, the battery on that bike is currently in its fourth year and still going strong.

Edited by manxie49

I think I have an optimate 4. Had my bike plugged into it when it was in the shed. Battery was 6 years old (as old as the bike, which I no longer have) and it never failed to start on the button. The Optimate cycles the battery to keep it in tip top condition.

Edited by fullscreenaging

Like @bonio optimate 4 had it 10+ years. Used to charge battery if it shows signs of struggling after a long layoff in the cold.

Edited by JRH

Oxford has been fine for me, if i was gonna be picky it would be that the cable and connection could be better but at the time waycheaper and additional parts (extension cables or additional battery connectors) easy to get.

ctek are more from the car European world off memory? Certainly not cheap or as easy to get as the optimate, which if the oxford charger ever dies, opti will be its replacement.

On 13/11/2023 at 21:15, Stu said:

Optimate all the way 

I had an Oxford one and it broke and killed a battery! 

Me too. Two batteries.

Slow learner.

• Haha 1