To XCP or not to XCP... that is the question.

Fiddlesticks

XCP, ACF-50 whatever.

Last year spent a bit of time spraying it on with the compressor. Then used the bike through the winter.

Trouble is.. Every time I got it home covered in salt and muck I'd clean it all off. I reckon a few washes with the snow foam and the XCP has probably gone anyway. I did re-apply it sometime mid-January, but honestly... Is there any point?

Yep still do it as Over coats, with varying degrees of anti oxidation properties.

If you think the foam is taking the coating off (some products on the market have salt or similar base ingredients in) switch it to a different one that isn't aggressive, or just wash with low pressure water and dry.

if tou think its not working 🤔try not doing it this year, sure ull notice very quickly.

• Like 1

I really need to wash my bike.

I used to be religious about applying ACF50 and it does work but winter will eventually f**k your finish up.

And tbh I don't really mind too much any more, she's filthy and a bit rough around the edges but you don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire right (or however that goes for bikes).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just given mine the ACF50 treatment for the winter.  I only ever rinse it off with cold water over the winter months or I sometimes use something called salt away.  I never use anything like snow foam or muc-off until Spring, it get a thorough cleaning then.  I usually find that the ACF50 lasts pretty well, I rarely over spray it during the winter months anyway.

• Like 2

Much depends on the bike really. My 2006 Honda CBF I just hose down from time to time over the winter. But it's not a shiny new bike. 

The Triumph gets ACF50 and then not ridden when the roads are filthy so it doesn't get washed over the winter. 

If you need to ride in all weathers I'd spray with ACF50 and wash when needed. Then after every other wash reapply. 

• Like 1

I use XCP, it usually takes a few washes before the need to reapply, I use their degreaser to clean the bike in the spring. But until then its Just a cold water hose down in winter once the bike has cooled down. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, daveinlim said:

What's best to use to get little bits of rust off first before washing and applying xcp

Depends where the rust is. Anywhere that is cosmetic needs to be tackled carefully. I use a small abrasive bit in a dremel. For less cosmetic parts I use the dremel, or a flap wheel, or power file. The key thing is to get back to clean metal. 

On 19/11/2023 at 22:46, RideWithStyles said:

Acf50 was the best and easiest to het hold of for many years, plus it didnt turn turn you bike yellow but the new clear xcp looks like its just pipped it and better availably.

And easier to apply, straight from the tin :thumb: