Visor advice

When I was young(er) the rain would bead up on my visor and a nod of the head to the side would see it all gone. But I can only think the law of physics have changed because it doesn't work like that any more. Yesterday is a good example: clear day, then it starts to drizzle a bit and suddenly the visor is all smears and I can only keep going by wiping it every two seconds (didn't help when the car in front kindly squirted me and the visor in screen wash...). Today it was similar: riding through cold, dark fog and all I have on the visor is smears and out of focus vision.

Is the anything I can do to being the water beads back?  

Just now, bonio said:

When I was young(er) the rain would bead up on my visor and a nod of the head to the side would see it all gone. But I can only think the law of physics have changed because it doesn't work like that any more. Yesterday is a good example: clear day, then it starts to drizzle a bit and suddenly the visor is all smears and I can only keep going by wiping it every two seconds (didn't help when the car in front kindly squirted me and the visor in screen wash...). Today it was similar: riding through cold, dark fog and all I have on the visor is smears and out of focus vision.

PS I've tried washing it and applying anti rain stuff. Makes precious little difference.

all that has happened is that after miles, use, rubbing etc it has worn the top layer with tiny scratches on it allowing water and crap to sit in it and holding to it rather than hydrophobic it off.

Wind screen ones (normal rainx) are meant for glass, not plastic as its aggressive solvent based but is really good. It makes visors really hard and shatter with prolonged use of and before anyone says -yes it does affect them btw.

They do sell a plastics one thats water based but its not as good nor long lasting. 

one route if your inclined but shock horror it requires effort to do the best job off poor conditions would be to use a compound paste, detail, then possibly a light wax or a safe hydrophobic coating of your choice.

now i wouldnt be surprised to hear someone say blasphemy! or might aswell buy another one but for some certain brands are less stocked or not catered for.

now rather than type about it look at YT fortnines (ryan) piece on it and fogging but im sure just like on another tread some mofo will cry foul about it... 

I clean my visor and then always add nixwax. Then I find rain beads and turning my head it will blow away. At low seed you do need to wipe though.

19 hours ago, bonio said:

Damn, riding in the wet. Damn those were the days. 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

The visor stuff I have is the nikwax one. I washed the visor and put nikwax on again. Tested it under the tap and it all ran off like off the back of the proverbial duck. So I'm going with theory that the problem's being made worse by wiping it with a dirty glove, and I've gone and bought some glove wiper things from ebay. Will try them out on the next ride.

Good thing is that there's no need to wait for a rainy day. 🤣

• Like 1

'Plexus' spray is the absolute business was developed for keeping the 'Plexiglass' of the cockpit of light aircraft clear in the rain. I'll admit it's bloody expensive, but as you use so little a can will last you many years.

Edited by Capt Sisko