Best non job for cheaper insurance?

Hi, 

as we know insurance is going stupid at the moment with their prices and I've just seen being unemployed is apparently more expensive.

As l am between jobs and not quite old enough to retire I'm looking for what I could be to keep the costs down if possible.

A house husband for example apart from the kids have all gone. 

Any ideas welcome.

Depends on your circumstances and for how long will you be between jobs? If its fairly soon with a similar role then nothing is different, if its going from an office slave to a knuckle dragging manual labour work in a dangerous environment then it might be needing to be changed.

The other suggestions vary in cost and impact.

do/claim less miles, different journey times,

A different bike, do a collage course and say your a student...

• Like 1

You don't need kids at home to be a house husband. You just need a partner who works. After all, it's not called a "house parent".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kind of pisses me off as if I put retired which implies I'm getting old and possibly riding more I get a slightly lower quote than when I state my actual occupation which means I'm not able to ride at all for months. Tossers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Kind of pisses me off as if I put retired which implies I'm getting old and possibly riding more I get a slightly lower quote than when I state my actual occupation which means I'm not able to ride at all for months. Tossers.

😅

And that sums up the stupidity of the insurance farce.

• Like 2

I put retired when I finished work and insurance went down, slightly, but that was mainly due to removing “commuting to a place of work” and just listing SDP as use. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRH said:

I put retired when I finished work and insurance went down, slightly, but that was mainly due to removing “commuting to a place of work” and just listing SDP as use. 

Commuting isn't ever something I put on my insurance as basically I don't so I guess I get that reduction anyway. 

15 hours ago, Yorky said:

😅

And that sums up the stupidity of the insurance farce.

Normally yes it is but Not this time as thats because they go by the odds, you're less likely to be going out peak time (work commute) because wtf would you? If your "less" likely to do the rat runs theres less chances of accident, if your gonna go normally be out side of commute times unless you really have to for some reason when your retired, that's their take on it.

33 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Or put yourself down as an accountant manager of an online auctioneer of postal stamps....🥱.

My son is an accountant but used to fly helicopters in the Navy. He also does marathons for fun, skied competitively, scuba dives and rides a GXR 750. Not all accountants are grey men. He also gets paid a lot more than me.

Hi, thanks for the input.

I'm aware of the commuting to work bit I already planned to take that off. I think retired is going to be the winner, so far anyway. People say you get bored having nothing to do all day. Turns out I'm really really good at it!

• Haha 3

I'm a mental health nurse in the NHS and my insurance quotes went up when it came to renew last time. Four years ago they were more than happy to give me big reductions when people were banging pots and pans on a Thursday evening.

I still get 25% off at Nandos though so silver linings...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update. And a warning.

So my renewal came through, the price was not too bad on an auto renew. I thought I'd change my occupation and the commuting bit to keep it all up to date etc. for the new policy that starts in 3 weeks.

The person on the phone said because of these changes a new quote was needed and the existing policy would have to change immediately. Then they said they couldn't change this policy and l had to start a new policy altogether. At £40 more expensive. Bennett's.

Quick search and half an hour on the phone to Devitt and I halved the cost. All changes declared. I'm a house person with no commuting to work.

I'm happy with that. The warning is if you do change your policy mid term beware of hidden costs, even when trying to do the right thing they will do anything to get more out of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Update. And a warning.

So my renewal came through, the price was not too bad on an auto renew. I thought I'd change my occupation and the commuting bit to keep it all up to date etc. for the new policy that starts in 3 weeks.

The person on the phone said because of these changes a new quote was needed and the existing policy would have to change immediately. Then they said they couldn't change this policy and l had to start a new policy altogether. At £40 more expensive. Bennett's.

Quick search and half an hour on the phone to Devitt and I halved the cost. All changes declared. I'm a house person with no commuting to work.

I'm happy with that. The warning is if you do change your policy mid term beware of hidden costs, even when trying to do the right thing they will do anything to get more out of you.

Tl;Dr use price comparison website every time. 

What l do when it comes to renewal is have a price in mind. This year's was cheaper than last which was acceptable. One of the things is l have a lot of changes to standard spec, exhaust, suspension, bars, tail tidy etc so even with a comparison site quote by the time you have declared it all the price goes up. Auto renewal they have all the details.

• Like 1