What did you do WITH your bike today.

Trooper74

Why I don't have a vintage bike. My interest is purely in riding it. Fettling brings me out in a cold sweat and a need to lie down in a dark room.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I love fettling and my 40 year career has been spent doing it, but even my patience gets tried sometimes.

VFR is not my friend at the moment.  Carbs are coming off yet again to replace those 30 year old float needles.  No point just doing the failed one, the others are likely not far behind and I would guarantee the same shennanigans next spring.

No matter how you check and double check, entropy is present in all machines and every single part of every machine, including those NOS parts on ebay.

They may have never been taken out of the bag, but they are still 40 year old parts.

There is no guarantee that a part that is working 100% today, will work tomorrow.  Everything on planet earth has an expiry date.

In effect, a 10 year old bike has collected 10x the potential for breakdowns that a year old one has.

My youngest bike is pushing 30 and my oldest is pushing 50.

You all enjoyed my DT175 and little yeller restorations and all the stuff going wrong.

This vid pretty much sums up fettling vintage bikes.

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 1

This afternoon I taught the missus how to ride little yeller.  I was pleasently surprised.  She did better than 75% of my old CBT students.  Only stalled the bike once.

I got her as far as starting and stopping the bike, putting it in and out of gear, clutch and brake control and riding around in large circles.  She loved it, but it was obvious she was starting to plateau and was tired.  Lesson over.

Next time it is changing gear and tighter turns.

53700223488_e736073167_h.jpg

• Like 7

And as for me, clearing the crankcases and plug after all the slow speed work the missus was doing.  A pea sat on a drum moment....

Told you it was tiny.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Took a ride out in beautiful sunshine and realised that my Tracer 7GT is all I need in a bike and chopping it in for an MT09 is a bit daft when most of my riding is touring. 

Edited by veracocha
Typo
  • Like 8

Well, as the weather is dry and bright again and the OH is out, it’s time to get the bike out again.

A good run down to Kidlington, across to Towcester up to Daventry and then home.

Another god day out on the bike. 😁

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Got the DT175mx out this morning for her first decent settling down run since her full engine overhaul.

Fuel on, ignition on. Kick....

Ding ding a ling.  Off she went first kick with aspen fuel in.  I can certainly recommend aspen for long term storage. Put about four litres of fresh pump fuel in and set out on a trip around the local towns and villages. In fact the same route she took when she holed the piston.  About 40 miles in total.

She behaved impeccably, apart from a bit of a buzz through the pegs. I am convinced it is just the chain running over the nylon tensioner block now. Cannot be the motor because everything is brand new.

The tensioner lblock is new and unworn, so the chain is riding over the edges on the sideplates rather than on the rollers and the tensioner is mounted directly to the footpeg bar.

While taking nice and steady, I have confirmed that she will hit redline in 4th gear and will loft the front wheel briefly off the throttle in first, albeit a pitiful, ill co ordinated attempt on my part.  What was once a natural and smooth, co ordinated manouvre is a clumsy and ugly attempt these days.

While not caning her, she will hit 55mph with comparitive ease and if I geared her back down a tooth on the front sprocket, she would probably be happier.  She does feel a little overgeared in 6th. 
But first gear with stock gearing is next to useless on the road.  You makes your choice...

I remember my brand new 1981 DT175 seeing closer to 70mph and being a little bit more perky, but I weighed probably 9 and a bit stone back then, not the close too 16 stone I weigh now.

No problems this ride out.

File Attachment:

Edited by Tinkicker
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Had a great ride out this morning, just 45 minutes each way.

I thought I'd use my spare helmet, a new Shark Ridill 1.2 (clearance stock), it's so comfortable compared to my HJC i90, which is far too big for my head, and is so heavy by comparison.

I really did miss the Pinlock though, it was cold and misty on the ride out, so visor open for most of the outgoing journey.

Currently looking for a Pinlock to fit the Shark.

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

Had a great ride out this morning, just 45 minutes each way.

I thought I'd use my spare helmet, a new Shark Ridill 1.2 (clearance stock), it's so comfortable compared to my HJC i90, which is far too big for my head, and is so heavy by comparison.

I really did miss the Pinlock though, it was cold and misty on the ride out, so visor open for most of the outgoing journey.

Currently looking for a Pinlock to fit the Shark.

If your helmet is too big for your head you really ought to consider ditching it. Too big and it may well not do what it's supposed to do in the event of an off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Arai Chaser X is tight … at the TT last year I took it to the Arai tent … the techs there said it was a “Race” fit helmet … and cleaned and replaced bits various  .. 

l like tight …… my LS2 is comfortable …maybe even loose …. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

If your helmet is too big for your head you really ought to consider ditching it. Too big and it may well not do what it's supposed to do in the event of an off.

Already sitting in the corner covered in flies.

Just moved my Cardo across to my Shark.

Currently looking at decent helmet options.

Oddly(??) though, this cheap Shark, is just so darned comfortable, it's a bitch to get on and off though.

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

My Arai Chaser X is tight … at the TT last year I took it to the Arai tent … the techs there said it was a “Race” fit helmet … and cleaned and replaced bits various  .. 

l like tight …… my LS2 is comfortable …maybe even loose …. 

One day, I'll splash the cash, if I ever earn it 😂

Posted (edited)

So the first ride with the Cardo intercoms … I’m not a fan, I like my solitude on the bike .. to put the world to rights in my head … solace … David Time …

Off we went Suzuki HGV , Aprillia tool …. Ok 125 tool … but it’s fast !!!!!

3 hours later ..I’m sold ..it’s great being able to chat , to discuss stops, which way we’re actually turning at this roundabout  … but having my 20 year old singing Blondie tracks in my ears was a no no .. 😀 especially as he fits in his own words … I started singing Roxy Music tracks … we accepted a truce … 

The Cardo System does not need a smartphone … it’s simple to use ..top kit ..

IMG_0449.thumb.jpeg.f73f28b3c73d97ed75109fec2db8519d.jpeg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I love my Cardo, I have yet to use it for chat, but the"hey Cardo " commands are pretty good,and you can still use" OK Google " and the Siri commands. 

The battery life is excellent too. 

Edited by Simon Davey

I did uncover it. And it seems to be holding up well with the complete neglect its had over the past couple of months. I didn't start the engine as I believe its best left completely alone. When I insure it later this month then I'll try starting it and see how the lithium battery has held up. Im very confident. As soon as its insured I'll get it booked in for an MOT so I can actually ride it. it seems forever!!

But, the upside is Ive managed to achieve what I needed to, so the sacrifice and risk (not much of a risk to be honest) was worth it. I also have a clean plate so to speak with all the payments for this years trip to the Eifel having been made. so, the clock is ticking to get it insured, in 8 days and if possible an MOT on the same day, or as soon as I can afterwards.

• Like 2

I've been exploring the Motobit navigation app which currently has a discount on full functionality.  About £16 for a year which is way cheaper than Calimoto.

It's pretty good. I've had a couple of dud turning instructions over 300 miles but all sat navigation have some issues.

I'm not keen on the American pronunciation which is spectularly unhelpful in Wales. It also switches between kilometres and miles at random. 

On Friday we set it for a circular tour using back roads and it worked out a very interesting route...or "rowt" as it would say. 

One odd thing I found was that part way through Friday I kept getting a squealing noise which sounded like a brake pad. It took me a while to figure out that Motobit had analysed my riding style and the squeal is a warning that the bend ahead is tighter than you're expecting. 

Throwing the Bobber into bends is quite good fun so it gives the app something to worry about. I'm not sure it works as a safety aid as I found myself trying to trigger the warning and being a bit miffed if it didn't go off. 

In general though I'm happy with it. Much cheaper than most navigation subscriptions.

Having changed the end can went for a 50 mile wander. More of it than I would have liked was in Gloucester which with the current road works going on is chaotic. Went to my dealer to check if all the known issues on my bike had been attended to prior to delivery and according to their records they had been so all good there. New end can makes a slightly ruder noise but not excessive and still meets Euro 5 etc etc - it has a homologation certificate. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

MOT and new back tyre time …. £207 later … drive in and pick up 6 hours later .. Frankly … happy .. ish … sort of … why would you not be … sort of ….

The ride home …. Tyre is smaller than the one it replaced .. “ that’s the wrong size tyre “ … Even as a new fit it feels so much better .. drops into roundabouts smoothly, .. no flat spot… lol …

Yes,  they were right …the previous tyre was over width … and the handling is now great …. Well, better …

IMG_0477.thumb.jpeg.8cfec5dd16223a8a9a128de5e3f2600f.jpeg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 5

Decided that I’m never going to wear these …….

SIDI ADVENTURE 2 Gortex …

Brand new never worn … I’m a 11.5 / 47 and they are a good fit on me .. SIDI boots are always “ small” sized … gortex lined , waterproof … sportsbikeshop price £314 … £150 plus p&p ..

Got to pay for that tyre somehow …. 😀

IMG_0481.thumb.jpeg.63c4f2b67539f53446cf297387e8c2b0.jpeg

Well now. Having fitted the spiffy new end can I neglected to check the OEM panniers would fit. According to the blurb they would but - surprise  - they didn't. Faffed about for half an hour in case I'd but them on wrong but no. Ended up having to put the original back on. The hanger is too bloody short by about 30 mm. I'll see about getting a mod made up when I have time. Damned annoying though. 

Edited by S-Westerly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Rode it home from Morpeth.  Very much a ride of 3 parts. From my Dad's place to Penrith via Hexham and Alston and the Hartside Pass was great. A bit foggy (low cloud really) on the east side of the Pass but otherwise really good and the Guzzi is so much better at it than the Multistrada was. Then the M6 from Penrith to just north of the intersection with the M62 was reasonable but after that it was dire. Cameras, speed restrictions and really heavy traffic and the consequent congestion all the way to well south of Worcester. Lots of filtering etc. Not my idea of fun that last bit.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

the Guzzi is so much better at it than the Multistrada was

That's an amazing statement. The MS is a cracking bike and I'd have thought it was set up well to shine on those roads around Alston. I'm really interested to know: is the Guzzi really that much better? 

1 hour ago, bonio said:

That's an amazing statement. The MS is a cracking bike and I'd have thought it was set up well to shine on those roads around Alston. I'm really interested to know: is the Guzzi really that much better? 

For me yes. I always found the Mutley to be a bit top heavy - typical ADV bike really and more difficult to flick from one side to another. Not impossible by any means but I was always aware of the height. Never ridden a GS or a Tiger but have sat on them and always feel I need a step ladder to board. I've short legs. The Guzzi just flows for me and I find it much less effort and more confidence inspiring. Probably too much!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dodged the showers this morning and took a trip to the tyre shop on the XSR. This was to replace the stupid little stubby tyre valves with nice 90 degree bend valves, making it easier to check pressures and inflate if required.

• Like 2