What did you do WITH your bike today.

Trooper74

12 minutes ago, curlylegend said:

Why ?

Riding too safely 🙄

56mph down the motorway, on account of the fact that we were on fumes. Raised his suspicions.

Ironically, after a day of rather spirited riding. We'd stopped in at friends for dinner, so it was a late finish.

I believe the official reason given for the breathalyser test was "weaving in lane".  (I'd like to see the dashcam video of that.) But hey-ho, you need a reason, you make one up.

Checked the tyres (ooh, look, it's squaring off), checked pillion insurance, "oh, so you're a new rider". Two years, three bikes, over 20k miles winter and summer, one bikesafe course. Yes, I'm a new rider, but I'm not an idiot.

To be fair he was OK, and I didn't cause him any grief. No point failing the attitude test, it'll just end in tears. 👍

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

checked pillion insurance, 

Sorry!!!! WTF is this, never heard of it!

Been with the same insurance company for last 20+ years and never heard of Passenger insurance, always carried passengers in the last 53 years of riding never been asked for pillion insurance.

Surely they don't ask when you buy Car insurance so why on a bike that's meant for 2 people are you being asked for this!!

Would love to hear replies?? As I said never seen this!

If you have been with the same company for 20 years chances are you are covered.

Now you get to decide. If you do take pillion you pay extra, or you can look at it if you don't you pay less. Like you should declare any changes to the bike pillion is now one of those things.

If l was you I'd check my policy to make sure l am covered. If you have had the same policy for 20 years you could either be super covered or sadly lacking. You must be happy with the price I'm guessing.

26 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Sorry!!!! WTF is this, never heard of it!

Been with the same insurance company for last 20+ years and never heard of Passenger insurance, always carried passengers in the last 53 years of riding never been asked for pillion insurance.

Surely they don't ask when you buy Car insurance so why on a bike that's meant for 2 people are you being asked for this!!

Would love to hear replies?? As I said never seen this!

It's a common thing on policies. People don't put it on to save a bit on the premium, then chance it and get done for riding without insurance. Bit like commuting.

Screenshot_2024-03-04-10-46-48-610_org.mozilla.firefox.thumb.jpg.b4640912a10690aae75e54919bd8128b.jpg

I never carry a pillion as no one in the family is brave enough. I once included it in the quote to see what difference it made and it was about £50. So not peanuts. 

2 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

It's a common thing on policies. People don't put it on to save a bit on the premium, then chance it and get done for riding without insurance. Bit like commuting.

Screenshot_2024-03-04-10-46-48-610_org.mozilla.firefox.thumb.jpg.b4640912a10690aae75e54919bd8128b.jpg

Interesting choice of words ‘Plan to ever carry a pillion passenger?’

Surely a defence would be “I didn’t plan to, but needed to on the spur of the moment” 😁

• Like 2

For reference, the squared off tyre. Still rides OK but that's what 7500 miles of motorway and/or 2 up riding will do for you. IMG_20240304_132607.thumb.jpg.03fe95362f9f8d9db871366950c54bd7.jpgIMG_20240304_132630.thumb.jpg.1a7271b389d8165466dc251dbb381595.jpg

sounds more like just because rather than actual reason of suspicion?

your bike could of just gone into limp home mode...sooo doing the limit even at hgv speed raises a suspicion? damned if you do damned if you dont😑.

two years isnt a new rider... unless you'd only ridden a hand full of times in the period.

Anyway shouldn't make no difference to him.

pillion cover on policy been about for donkeys years, even before i was riding.

me personally i wish they treated it like a car...if its got a seat then its legal to assume to use and have it regardless...

the rear tyre is a little bit square but not that bad!

michs r's (and metz rt02) well known to have abit of a flatter crown than some other makes from new (helps with wet road weather) - if that was on a super corsa 🫨

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

the rear tyre is a little bit square but not that bad!

That was my thinking. It does need doing, but - "dangerous... as soon as possible" is probably pushing it a bit. It did look worse with all the road salt on though 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

If you have been with the same company for 20 years chances are you are covered.

Now you get to decide. If you do take pillion you pay extra, or you can look at it if you don't you pay less. Like you should declare any changes to the bike pillion is now one of those things.

If l was you I'd check my policy to make sure l am covered. If you have had the same policy for 20 years you could either be super covered or sadly lacking. You must be happy with the price I'm guessing.

Hi @Nick the wanderer, just phoned my insurance company, yep fully covered for pillions, and as for price £143.50 for 4 bikes 1997 VFR800, 2001 VFR800, 2004 SV1000, 1988 CBR400RR.

Fully Com, and unlimited mileage, £50 excess on 2 oldest, £200 on newest, and full UK and European Breakdown Cover included. Used twice in last 2 years and cover is with AA.

Went on a website years ago to compare insurances, cheapest quote was around £150 for 1 bike!!!!! 

Yep that sounds reasonable. I just paid £66 for the XSR. I do my breakdown cover separately though because l opt for the full recovery, any vehicle, so I'm covered in the van. One of the joys of being old l guess.

That's with Devitt.

38 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Who the heck is that with? (broker and under writer) sounds too good... 😊.

Peter James insurance, classic bike policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Yep that sounds reasonable. I just paid £66 for the XSR. I do my breakdown cover separately though because l opt for the full recovery, any vehicle, so I'm covered in the van. One of the joys of being old l guess.

That's with Devitt.

Yep that's full recovery and included in price, Car and Van on separate policy!!! another story!!🤨

Having got my beauty gleaming and shiny last night, I took it to a mechanic this morning.

Forty five minutes in the poxy rain each way.....

Had a lovely breakfast in the café that's in the bike shop!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Having got my beauty gleaming and shiny last night, I took it to a mechanic this morning.

Forty five minutes in the poxy rain each way.....

Had a lovely breakfast in the café that's in the bike shop!

And was your problem sorted?

30 minutes ago, Hairsy said:

And was your problem sorted?

Nope, it was a a 1 hour diagnosis session. 

It's booked in for 2 weeks time. 

He took it out for 15 minutes whilst I stuffed my face with eggs, baon and sausage etc. 

The guy is 100% certain it's the idle jets. He explained the the idle jets don't just deal with idle, they look after the lower demand up to about 4K,then the main jets kick in. Also suggested new spark plugs, and that at 19 years old, he'd like to nip the ends off the HTC leads as they're bound to be slightly corroded. 

He thought it wasn't so bad, but could definitely be improved. 

Also pointed out that my tyres are shite, and the raised stipes made the handling really twitchy, and I'd have a better chance of becoming confident if they were replaced. He says the Michelin Pilot are prone to wearing this way, so new tyres will be fitted too. Bridgestone I think. 

Thanks for asking. 

Had 90 minutes of his time, very relaxed and friendly place, didn't cost me a penny (yet). 

I'll copy this as an update. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

Had 90 minutes of his time, very relaxed and friendly place, didn't cost me a penny (yet).

Don't worry, he'll more than recoup that in 2 weeks

• Haha 2

Tucked it up for a couple of months. Priorities can be tough. (Especially self imposed ones)

MOT expired yesterday. Too bad. So sad.

insurance expires next week. Ditto.

• Sad 4

15 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Tucked it up for a couple of months. Priorities can be tough. (Especially self imposed ones)

I would prioritise keeping it MOTd and insured, even if you don't use it. That wouldn't cost that much and give you peace of mind should the worst happen. Imo

20 hours ago, Gerontious said:

don’t forget to put it on sorn  with no insurance