Hostels. Shared Dormitory

veracocha

Has anyone used a hostel for touring. I see favourable pricing but shared sleeping arrangements seem a bit of a  hit or miss. Should the gent (or lady) above or below in the bunk bed snore like my wife is one ok to give the companion a bit of a nudge. What is the etiquette of such an arrangement?

I use hostels a fair bit, often when im touring or otherwise on the bike. At their best they're great, and at the worst they're ok. Not all have car parks, especially ones in cities, so safe parking needs a bit of thought. The other problem is that theres precious little room to put your stuff in a dorm (and often nowhere secure) so theres the question of where to keep your lid, your jacket and so on.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bender said:

Done it once, no no no no no no no no no just no

I would sooner sleep upside down in a tree by the side of the nearest motorway.

Did I say no.

i take it that's a no then

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

you better off just getting where your going and finding a B&B, there are always loads of B&B's that don't do advertising and you can always take a tent just in case of emergences Suspicious Animation GIF by Achievement Hunter

10 minutes ago, Vic101 said:

you better off just getting where your going and finding a B&B, there are always loads of B&B's that don't do advertising and you can always take a tent just in case of emergences Suspicious Animation GIF by Achievement Hunter

Always plenty of trees, any option including gutter is better than shared dorm.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Always plenty of trees, any option including gutter is better than shared dorm.

Graveyards used to be my favourite. Quiet and the better class ones often had tombs that could be used as a decent shelter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, curlylegend said:

Graveyards used to be my favourite. Quiet and the better class ones often had tombs that could be used as a decent shelter.

Preferable to a room full of snoring smelly ingrates with dubious hygiene and toilet habits fitting of a south American jail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Did it once.

Not doing it again.

Although went to an hostel in Poland but had private room with shared bathroom.

Because I wake up very early I had no problem about waiting for someone leaving it.

Still better a Airbnb if touring. Better rates than b&b

• Like 1

2 hours ago, husoi said:

Did it once.

Not doing it again.

Although went to an hostel in Poland but had private room with shared bathroom.

Because I wake up very early I had no problem about waiting for someone leaving it.

Still better a Airbnb if touring. Better rates than b&b

Wise man 😁

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, curlylegend said:

yes and no noisy neighbours 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Friends who emigrated to Oz by motorcycle decided hostels were a bad idea after 11 hours in the saddle, desperately needing sleep, and being kept awake by neighbours playing hide the purple parsnip in the next cubicle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

tenting...still better than paying the with the share weird randos of the world of britton or those class them selfs as what they believe to be a human.

Edited by RideWithStyles

I'll stick to hotels, preferably ones with a decent bar and restaurant. Don't mind occasional camping but only in wilder places. Hostels are in the category of never ever.

• Like 2

My wife tell me I snore like a trooper so I couldn't possibly stay in a Hostel. Anyhow, I couldn't think of anything worse than staying in one, but then again I have to sleep in the far corner of a camp site, just so others can get some sleep 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1