Brand specific forums - Jeez

S-Westerly

In my case it maybe because having returned to biking in the internet/ forum era both my bikes have been Italian albeit modern iterations of the brands. Many of the long term aficionados are rooted in the past when let's face it Italian bikes were very idiosyncratic and challenging to own. Their default setting is massively defensive towards the brand and any criticism is heresy and the flaming torches and pitchforks come out. I put up with it because there are useful nuggets to pick out even for a new model like mine. 

• Haha 1

I’m on a RGV forum and got flamed for mentioning my 4 stroke Honda. If it was a run of the mill 4s I could have understood it a bit, but not a 50 year old classic bike.

Dont post on there much, just use it for info.

• Like 1

thats the thing....to THEM it is run of the mill rubbish...thats what they mutter while they rebore the head, put in new pistons, rings and bearings for the 50th time that year! 😇

• Like 1

Well there was a spectacular implosion on the American forum. The end result was the new irritating to the Americans Brit getting banned. To be fair he was over the top but the bitch fight was entertaining to follow.  He's now turned up on the British Guzzi site so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. Meanwhile the Yanks are getting their knickers in a twist about the way most Brits pronounce Guzzi.  Apparently we are wrong but tbh who gives a shit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://youtu.be/BrOIKfDiFl8

If you keep saying it like the man here it sticks in your head, the wife is already giving me the eye.🙄

Spoiler

Guts Zi, Guzz Zi, Moto Guzs Si, I'm not surprised they disagree.

Edited by Nick the wanderer
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Well there was a spectacular implosion on the American forum. The end result was the new irritating to the Americans Brit getting banned. To be fair he was over the top but the bitch fight was entertaining to follow.  He's now turned up on the British Guzzi site so it'll be interesting to see how he goes. Meanwhile the Yanks are getting their knickers in a twist about the way most Brits pronounce Guzzi.  Apparently we are wrong but tbh who gives a shit?

Considering how they mangle words like 'lever' and 'vitamin' I don't think they've got much to complain about. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Considering how they mangle words like 'lever' and 'vitamin' I don't think they've got much to complain about. 

Not to mention "route". 

Spoken English has evolved in the UK, whereas in America it hasn't so much in the past 400 years. what seems odd to us would have been completely normal in the 1600s Its been said that modern English is just French with a funny accent. The word Route is a perfect example of this. we use the French pronunciation. The Americans do not. I think there's only a few words that have kept the old pronunciation for example - Blouse. If that had followed the way of Route, we would be saying "Blooze".

In many ways the Americans speak a very similar form of English to the original settlers, many of whom injected their own dialects into the language and these apparent oddities are a result of that. Our language has been corrupted. And then we think its the Americans who are in the wrong. most odd.

• Like 2

I too served alongside some American military. 

Later on 1 of my step nieces married 1 and we attended the wedding. 

Suffice to say that I don't hold them in particular high regard!:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Spoken English has evolved in the UK, whereas in America it hasn't so much in the past 400 years. what seems odd to us would have been completely normal in the 1600s Its been said that modern English is just French with a funny accent. The word Route is a perfect example of this. we use the French pronunciation. The Americans do not. I think there's only a few words that have kept the old pronunciation for example - Blouse. If that had followed the way of Route, we would be saying "Blooze".

In many ways the Americans speak a very similar form of English to the original settlers, many of whom injected their own dialects into the language and these apparent oddities are a result of that. Our language has been corrupted. And then we think its the Americans who are in the wrong. most odd.

H’mm how do they distinguish between Route & Rout? As my understanding is that Americans pronounce Route “Rowt” and Rout is also pronounced “Rowt”  where as in proper English Route is pronounced “Root” which couldn’t ever be confused with Root 🤣🤣

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Having served with the US military I am acquainted with some of the things they do very well, and some of the things they really shouldn't be let loose with. 

Things they are good at:

• Fast food burgers
  • HBO TV series
  • Chonky cars
  • Shooting children

Things they are not good at

• Knowing what football is
  • Making real ale
  • Breakfast
  • Bombing stuff without wiping out allies

I have to admit, I do have an ongoing daydream of living in the USA and living the dream. 

Currently dating a red haired Texan called Mary-Lou, who loves cruising mountain roads on a HD. 

• Like 2

Have to disagree about the real ale - there's loads of micro breweries in the US and some of them make truly excellent beers. Had one of my best beers ever from a small brewery in Southern California. Also I've had some truly great breakfasts but the key to that is finding somewhere with real bacon not what they regularly call bacon. It does exist but you've got to get off the usual tourist route.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

I have to admit, I do have an ongoing daydream of living in the USA and living the dream. 

Currently dating a red haired Texan called Mary-Lou, who loves cruising mountain roads on a HD. 

I'd love to ride some of their mountain roads but not on an HD!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rennie said:

I too served alongside some American military. 

Later on 1 of my step nieces married 1 and we attended the wedding. 

Suffice to say that I don't hold them in particular high regard!:classic_biggrin:

What, all of them ?

13 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

thats the thing....to THEM it is run of the mill rubbish...thats what they mutter while they rebore the head, put in new pistons, rings and bearings for the 50th time that year! 😇

They aren’t that bad, top end rebuild every 10k miles, bottom end every 20k.😬

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Have to disagree about the real ale - there's loads of micro breweries in the US and some of them make truly excellent beers. Had one of my best beers ever from a small brewery in Southern California. Also I've had some truly great breakfasts but the key to that is finding somewhere with real bacon not what they regularly call bacon. It does exist but you've got to get off the usual tourist route.

IPA though, eh. 

And any nation that considers grits a suitable foodstuff for a plate should melt down its pots and pans. I think we should educate them, starting with crispy pancakes and Fray Bentos pies. 

I'll agree about IPA as it's not my favourite and grits are definitely an acquired taste which I have no intention of acquiring. Prefer Pieminster pies to Fray Bentos myself.