Tyre recommendations

veracocha

I'm off to Scotland again for a 1200 mile round trip in April and preparing to have a tyre change for the trip. I currently have Pilot road 4 with 2000 on the clock (new bike as standard) and have been offered a choice of my preferred tyre Vs a tyre they are offering a deal on. The Metzeler Roadtech 01SE is the one I am after because I had them on my previous bike and my confidence in them was high. However the tyre centre have suggested Dunlop Roadsmart IV SP for £210.00 a pair. This is quite a saving but not sure if this is a quality tyre; does anyone have any experience of the latter and does this seem like a good deal. Bike is a Tracer 7 GT and my style is slow.  

19 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Yes I did thank you and I know it was voted best touring tyre earlier in 2023 that's why I went for them on my previous bike/tour. Perhaps it's better to go with something that you have confidence in rather than save a few quid I guess. 

Why change a tyre with little over 2k. Or is it a confidence thing! 

Buy the best you can afford, but a pair of Dunlop ditch finders for £210 is a good price in todays climate 😂 

We all have different experiences with different manufacturers. I'm a Michelin Fanboy, others hate them 🤣

Edited by Pie man
  • Like 1

There was a big discussion about these very tyres just recently on another forum and the consensus was the Dunlop was a good tyre. Metzlers have the rep but like Pirelli they are now Chinese owned and apparently a lot of their tyres are made there. I had Metzler Roadtec on my last bike and they were pretty good until they weren't.  They'd go from ok to down to the wear strips in about 400 miles. Whatever you're happy with.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pie man said:

Why change a tyre with little over 2k. Or is it a confidence thing! 

It's absolutely a confidence thing and having toured Scotland on them last year I have no reason to doubt them (Roadtech's). However, I also did another tour of Scotland earlier last year on Pirelli Angel tyres and they were fine. You just read the reviews from the likes of Neevesy and imagine the tyres in the reviews to have magical qualities. 

I have had the pilot road 4's 5's and 6 and I must say they are probably the best tyres I have used! Especially in the wet! 

I had the fjr fully loaded up with a pillion scraping the pegs! I thought that was impressive! Wife not so much 😂

I haven't had a tyre as confident inspiring as these are so I find it odd you want to change them through lack of confidence :?

What is it you don't like about them? 

• Like 1

I put a pair of Pilot Road 4s on my cbf. I'm very pleased with them, especially in the wet. I live in a rural area where the roads are covered in mud, gravel and have water running from fields. They cope with those conditions fine. 

If they've only got 2k on them they'll do 1200 miles no problem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

There was a big discussion about these very tyres just recently on another forum and the consensus was the Dunlop was a good tyre. Metzlers have the rep but like Pirelli they are now Chinese owned and apparently a lot of their tyres are made there. I had Metzler Roadtec on my last bike and they were pretty good until they weren't.  They'd go from ok to down to the wear strips in about 400 miles. Whatever you're happy with.

It's not completely Chinese owned although they are collectively over the 50% threshold with various Chinese company's which probably all boil down to state owned 😂

Italian gov took steps to stop them actively being run by Chinese.

They have manufacturing in china but also extensively around Europe, also south America and Russia 😂 that may be state owned now 🤔

• Thanks 1

I came through the Monsoon of Glencoe on an Iron Butt ride a couple of years ago on PR4. One hundred percent rock solid in what was some of the worst rain I'd ridden through in years. I trust them and although I've got PR6 on at the moment, if I was offered a pair of 4s at a good price I'd put them on again without hesitation.

• Like 1

id agree with pie man....

why bother changing a good tyre that should still have some good life on them (easy 4-8000mile life) and youve tuned into them so you understand them already. so for a big trip why bother to add a unknown variable of a VERY different characteristic tyre(s) with compound (different/simpler), tread (less technical) , carcass (hard/shouts alot) before to a trip that will be variable.

so to be clear the quality of the main brands  are not questionable, its if the character of the tyre is correct for what you require and the bike can work with...

if you liked the Michs and didnt find any wrong with them then dont bother changing them,if you feel they were too soft and not communicating enough for what you require then a slightly firmer tyre like Metz/pire will do the job.

next step up in firmness/talking are continental and avons.

if you need the tyre to really shout to you to tell you what they are doing then bridge/ dunlops are better for that.

now loosely talking the harder and firmer they are (carcass and compound) the less malibull and surefooting they are in the colder/cooler conditions.

• Like 1

I've been using road 5's, in all weathers, I ride year round.  Excellent tyres, on dry and wet roads.  Newer version out now, Road 6's, which I hear are as good if not better.

• Like 1

Just to clear up any confusion I might have created. I have no reason to doubt or question the Road 4's that I have on now. In the 2000 miles I have done so far they have been brilliant. However, when reading reviews (Neevesy) he says the OEM tyres that manufacturers put on are somewhat poor in comparison with manufacturer specific tyres. Being a bit of a gear tart this made me question what I have at the moment and should I upgrade. Am I overthinking things and might just as well run with what I have? 

• Like 1

Road 4's are Road 4's and a lot of people opt for them not just because the bike comes with them. Not all standard OEM tyres are naff and Road 4's certainly aren't.  If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket then change them to what you want. Also remember that Neevesy / MCN are making a living by plugging certain stuff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, veracocha said:

Just to clear up any confusion I might have created. I have no reason to doubt or question the Road 4's that I have on now. In the 2000 miles I have done so far they have been brilliant. However, when reading reviews (Neevesy) he says the OEM tyres that manufacturers put on are somewhat poor in comparison with manufacturer specific tyres. Being a bit of a gear tart this made me question what I have at the moment and should I upgrade. Am I overthinking things and might just as well run with what I have? 

If you've got roads 4s then I'd stick with them because they're a good tyre. 

• Like 2

thats the thing...did the bike manufacturer do you dirty and put on truly oem cheap ass crap (dunlop are true criminals for this business shite) or did they put on aftermarket spec on?

if they are aftermarket then joy! as i said before if they are fine for you now fine just get the same again! if they are oem but you still find them fine or at least weren't that bothered then stick to that make and get the aftermarket version and feel the warm glow of bliss...

Edited by RideWithStyles
autocorrect
  • Like 1