What you doing this weekend?

rennie

4 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

It was never cheap but those prices are just taking the piss surely.

Was when it was 3.5 guilders to the £. Got pricey the day they adopted the euro. Everything. Used to cost a third of what it was in the UK. 

27 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

Was when it was 3.5 guilders to the £. Got pricey the day they adopted the euro. Everything. Used to cost a third of what it was in the UK. 

Not in 1977 it didn't. I had family living in the Hague and they used to stock up on stuff in the UK to take back.to Holland. When I was there in the 70's and 80's beer was cheap but not much else. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Not in 1977 it didn't. I had family living in the Hague and they used to stock up on stuff in the UK to take back.to Holland. When I was there in the 70's and 80's beer was cheap but not much else. 

Maybe because all I lived on was beer and FEBO :D

• Haha 1

Ive only been to the Netherlands a couple of times. for the border photo opportunity at a place with the entirely appropriate name of  Plank. just a random ride out from Neuerburg. The hills of Dutchland. not an easy concept to get your head around. but we were in the Netherlands riding ups and down hills. (quite big ones) 4 countries in a day. quite jolly.

Aside from that, its not really a place that attracts me all that much. if I want flat as a pancake I don't need to cross the channel.. One of the benefits of living where I do sandwiched between the fens to the east and the Derbyshire hills to the west. variety.

5 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Ive only been to the Netherlands a couple of times. for the border photo opportunity at a place with the entirely appropriate name of  Plank. just a random ride out from Neuerburg. The hills of Dutchland. not an easy concept to get your head around. but we were in the Netherlands riding ups and down hills. (quite big ones) 4 countries in a day. quite jolly.

Aside from that, its not really a place that attracts me all that much. if I want flat as a pancake I don't need to cross the channel.. One of the benefits of living where I do sandwiched between the fens to the east and the Derbyshire hills to the west. variety.

I've been there mainly as I had family there in the 70's and 80's and then over the last 30 years by virtue of it having one of the largest oil refineries in the world in Rotterdam. Good food and beer but countryside is mostly as dull as ditchwater.

28 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I've been there mainly as I had family there in the 70's and 80's and then over the last 30 years by virtue of it having one of the largest oil refineries in the world in Rotterdam. Good food and beer but countryside is mostly as dull as ditchwater.

Thats the difference isn't it. The Netherlands is a destination. somewhere to visit for the differing culture. but, my trips are almost exclusively about the landscape. And if the Landscape is uninteresting, then not going to bother. Theres a huge dutch influence in the fens, if you know what to look for. It has a kinda stark beauty to it once away from larger settlements. Its also empty by comparison. empty of people. or seems to be - a lot of the time.

• Like 1

I live on the edge of the fens, the fen roads are all collapsing into the soft ground, undulating. Not inspiring at all.

In the opposite direction is the Lincoln edge and hilly twisty roads out towards Stamford, Melton Mowbray, Grantham etc. No contest which way I always head out.

I used to really like going over to Amsterdam and the like many moons ago, when we all smoked and drank. Great place to visit 30 years ago. I'm happy to have those memories, not really a fan of the city break these days, prefer the peace and quiet. It's an age thing I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

My wife drags me on a few city breaks but she's a  culture vulture and into art galleries and museums. Life can be hard sometimes. 

We like city breaks, we like any break 😂

This weekend we're off to collect replacement for landy, from near Cardiff, 3 trains and a long drive back on worst day of the year for traffic 🤔 didn't plan this very well 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

My wife drags me on a few city breaks but she's a  culture vulture and into art galleries and museums. Life can be hard sometimes. 

Sounds like my wife. I enjoy culture also, I think it's just people and crowds I try to avoid. I'm happiest in the countryside.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bender said:

700mile round trip to collect landy replacement.

Followed by prep for Christmas dinner and drinking beer, which I may just start doing roundabout now.

Donating a disco full of toys etc to Ukraine is a seriously awesome thing to do.

Well done @Bender

Did you replace it with another Discovery?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Donating a disco full of toys etc to Ukraine is a seriously awesome thing to do.

Well done @Bender

Did you replace it with another Discovery?

Thanks

Errr no

Unfortunately with the advent of low emission zones the ownership of a newer landrover comes with a huge VED bill (road tax), that and the risk of being very unreliable.

Had to put sensible head on, needed to be ulez compliant, not ridiculously expensive road tax, reasonably economical, ohh and not diesel because of dpf issue with short journeys ie lack of warming up etc.

So I bought. 2 ,1/2 tonne 3.5ltr 8 seater 4x4 petrol nissan with 4cats 😂

Due to quirks of imports it's slightly cheaper to tax and insure than the old landy and I can drive it round town to my heart's content.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, Bender said:

Thanks

Errr no

Unfortunately with the advent of low emission zones the ownership of a newer landrover comes with a huge VED bill (road tax), that and the risk of being very unreliable.

Had to put sensible head on, needed to be ulez compliant, not ridiculously expensive road tax, reasonably economical, ohh and not diesel because of dpf issue with short journeys ie lack of warming up etc.

So I bought. 2 ,1/2 tonne 3.5ltr 8 seater 4x4 petrol nissan with 4cats 😂

Due to quirks of imports it's slightly cheaper to tax and insure than the old landy and I can drive it round town to my heart's content.

That sounds like a mighty fine machine :thumb:. I have something similar, but its the Toyota but only 3.0 V6. I had LPG fitted, so runs on both petrol and gas :thumb:

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pie man said:

That sounds like a mighty fine machine :thumb:. I have something similar, but its the Toyota but only 3.0 V6. I had LPG fitted, so runs on both petrol and gas :thumb:

I would have spare wheel anxiety, only place left under mine is where spare wheel lives.

The other option was the 5ltr supercharged range rover so I'm looking at it like it's already half the price on petrol 😂

I put £120.00 min in van every week so I'm used to visits to petrol stations 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1