What you doing this weekend?

rennie

53 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Oh thank goodness 🥹 I thought bender was gonna say a tesla or a gee-whizz of some kind...😅.

Instead a South African drug cartels lowly minion car instead. 🫣🤫 its just missing a mounted MG...

I reckon the turret is still there though 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RideWithStyles said:

Oh thank goodness 🥹 I thought bender was gonna say a tesla or a gee-whizz of some kind...😅.

Instead a South African drug cartels lowly minion car instead. 🫣🤫 its just missing a mounted MG...

It's got very dark privacy glass so drug dealing is not out of the question 😂

• Haha 4

Drove to Warrington and back yesterday! Driving to Norfolk today!

The standard of driving on The M6 yesterday was abysmal!

Why does nobody move over to the left nowadays?

I think I'll need a drink by the time we get to Diss later :cheers: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rennie said:

I think I'll need a drink by the time we get to Diss later :cheers: :classic_biggrin:

Cause the police are too busy wearing rainbow armbands and attending evening pray to enforce any lane discipline. That and people are twats.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Trying to set up a new SONOS sound bar and sub-woofer and getting them to work seamlessly together with my TV ......... what took me over a hour "with much cursing and swearing", and still not managing to get them to pair, was completed by my 13yr old nephew in under ten minutes!!  🙄 ..... FFS I'm obviously getting old 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, rennie said:

Same on the M5 today. A few trucks and slow cars in lane 1, lane 2 is full with cars doing 68 and lane 3 are all going 72 and probably on cruise control. On my bike I'd be ducking and weaving. In the car I'm in lane 3 gritting my teeth.

• Like 1

Had the granddaughters round for a sleep

over, I am utterly exhausted, but Missus Mickly is very happy & contented … & not for the reasons I would like 🤣🤣

• Haha 6

My weekend, which means Friday as I work the actual weekend, will be spent trying to open my daughter's upvc kitchen door. It unlocks but Turing the handle doesn't release the door. 

I suspect they had a few issues but didn't do anything until it failed completely.  

Locksmiths don't want to know about it. I am very much hoping the hinge pins aren't held in by a grub screw which you can only get at with the door open! 

Took older grandsons to cinema and we walked. Was fine going but monsoon rain coming back. 2 miles later absolutely sodden and discovered I left half my stuff at home.

On 30/12/2023 at 10:45, rennie said:

I was on the M6, heading south, that day. It’s fine until you get to about Preston then all hell breaks loose. Lane hoggers - nervous drivers who are afraid they’ll get trapped behind slower moving traffic, those who think anything other then the outside two lanes are  “slow lanes”, others who are too dozy to notice there’s a clear lane to the inside of them, and the simply pig headed who just can’t be arsed to change lane.  Then there’s the Max Verstappen wannabes who weave across all lanes at speed, or the tailgaters. My favourite (?) are those who closes up the gap to the car in front when you put your right hand indicator on signalling you want to move out to overtake thus preventing you from changing lanes. They gain a whole car length which they’d have gained anyway once you’ve moved back to the inside lane. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing if I can't get my garage door open. It is stuck fast and will not unlatch from it's fixings. I don't have a side door so I might have to take a window pane out to get inside. Brand new garage just for my new bike and it won't let me in!😢

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My weekend, which means Friday as I work the actual weekend, will be spent trying to open my daughter's upvc kitchen door. It unlocks but Turing the handle doesn't release the door. 

I suspect they had a few issues but didn't do anything until it failed completely.  

Locksmiths don't want to know about it. I am very much hoping the hinge pins aren't held in by a grub screw which you can only get at with the door open! 

How much damage do you want to make to the door.

It's hard to guess without seeing it, if the lock strip has fly out straight bolts and the hinges are exposed you can slice through pins with angle grinder.

If the lock unlocked but the handle won't move, remove handle and spray where ever you can with wd40, into the internals of the lock, leave for a bit and wiggle lock back and forward and tap with hammer at same time.

If lock barrel has gone it usually only fails from one side, can you feel any weight on the mechanism while it's turning, sometimes locking and unlocking a few times with oil added will help free a stuck spring.

If a spring has snapped or something on the lock strip has come apart or is stuck solid it can be a pain.

If it's got glass and or a panel and the lock strip is not hook bolts or locking rollers you can remove the glass and or panels and it gives a lot to play with to try and prise the door open.

If it's the lock barrel drill it out, drill it just below the key way till your through all the spring tumblers, hoover out and use screwdriver in lock.

All else fails, recip saw and a new door 😂

One of my last jobs before crimbo was lost keys on a security lock and no access to the inside of the property 🤔 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bender said:

How much damage do you want to make to the door.

It's hard to guess without seeing it, if the lock strip has fly out straight bolts and the hinges are exposed you can slice through pins with angle grinder.

If the lock unlocked but the handle won't move, remove handle and spray where ever you can with wd40, into the internals of the lock, leave for a bit and wiggle lock back and forward and tap with hammer at same time.

If lock barrel has gone it usually only fails from one side, can you feel any weight on the mechanism while it's turning, sometimes locking and unlocking a few times with oil added will help free a stuck spring.

If a spring has snapped or something on the lock strip has come apart or is stuck solid it can be a pain.

If it's got glass and or a panel and the lock strip is not hook bolts or locking rollers you can remove the glass and or panels and it gives a lot to play with to try and prise the door open.

If it's the lock barrel drill it out, drill it just below the key way till your through all the spring tumblers, hoover out and use screwdriver in lock.

All else fails, recip saw and a new door 😂

One of my last jobs before crimbo was lost keys on a security lock and no access to the inside of the property 🤔 

The lock itself is OK. It's the multipoint mechanism that has failed somewhere.

The butt hinges are accessible but whether replacement pins are obtainable if I cut them? I'm hoping the pins can be drifted out but that depends whether they have the hidden grub screw. I think I've identified the hinges and the schematic doesn't show a grub screw so I may be lucky. 

It is a back door with two glass panels so if I can get those out it ought to give me some wriggle room with the door itself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The lock itself is OK. It's the multipoint mechanism that has failed somewhere.

The butt hinges are accessible but whether replacement pins are obtainable if I cut them? I'm hoping the pins can be drifted out but that depends whether they have the hidden grub screw. I think I've identified the hinges and the schematic doesn't show a grub screw so I may be lucky. 

It is a back door with two glass panels so if I can get those out it ought to give me some wriggle room with the door itself. 

Grubb screws are usually to lock the pins which are eccentric so you can adjust the door slightly, usually seized solid, if the pins have Allen recess on top of hinge pins it should have grub screws, if non it shouldn't have.

Sounds like an older door hopefully it's not hook bolts lock strip.

I once had to come home from work to free my mother in law from our house as the door was stuck :lol:  

UPVC door, one of the multipoint bolts at the bottom was halfway stuck into the frame. A lot of wiggling and jamming about lifting the door around with a flatbar got it free eventually

So far so good. Getting the door open wasn't as bad as I'd feared. The hinges do have grub screws so I'd have been stuffed going down that route. 

Turns out the central lock mechanism is worn so the push rods running to the rollers and top and bottom gearboxes aren't running right  leaving the rollers and hooks partially engaged. A bit of levering persuaded them to open. 

Sealco in Scotland have been very helpful identifying parts. The actual multipoint mechanism is obsolete but the separate gearboxes are still available.  

So I've had to butcher the current gearboxes to allow them to close the door and lock it without it jamming. Then order new gearboxes and retro fit them to the existing faceplate. 

20240105_095138.jpg

• Like 3