Poll: motorcycle turbocharger kit

Mr Fro

<t>What would you do and how much would you spend?</t>  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do and how much would you spend?

• I'd spend around £1k.
    • I'd spend £1-1.5k.
    • I'd spend £1.5-2k.
    • I'd spend up to £3k.
    • I'd spend more than £3k.
    • No engine mods.
    • Minor engine mods.
    • Major engine mods.

Hello everyone!

I wondered if you could do me a little favour please...

*Assuming you want to fit a turbocharger to your bike.*

As part of my uni project I'd like to get some data on people's opinion on turbocharging their bikes so if you wouldn't mind awfully clicking two options above to indicate how much you'd be willing to spend on a turbo kit and what level of modification you'd entertain, I'd be most appreciative.

A turbo kit would be along the lines of replacing the exhaust system and airbox with a turbo system and a few other minor bits without further engine mods to get up to 25% increase in power.

Minor engine mods would also include a new ECU, stripping the engine and lowering the compression ratio by using thicker cylinder gaskets to get up to 60% power increase.

Major engine mods includes installing forged pistons and rods as well as the above to get significantly more than 60% power increase (sky's the limit).

Cheers,

Fro

Id likes to think it could be done for 2k with no engine mods, but then I know what I spent on just an exhaust so that would leave much room for the turbo and airbox etc!

Also, electronics would need to be messed with so realistically I reckon a good kit would cost 3k easily and that's before engine mods and without any fancy brand names pushing the price up!

Not at all

Turbo lag is the bane of any road bike.

Superchargers are the way to go

Unfortunately not an option on the survey

Mickly

I can't be of any assistance here , my bikes plenty fast enough for me. Didn't I read somewhere that you have to actually lower the compression to get the best out of a supercharger ? I might be wrong .

Its a Common performance mod to throw a turbo at a Busa and leave engine stock .....then it produces about 265 Bhp (a stock gen 1 can handle 315 Bhp)

I know a few (from my old forum) who have 500+ Bhp bikes that wish they had just done that............because it keeps the -3k the same as stock

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you all helping me out! :thumb:

What about the option to not bother? Which would be mine.

That's why I put *Assuming you want to fit a turbocharger to your bike*. ;-)

You may of course not actually want to, but if you did, then what would you choose?

Voted :thumb:

1-1.5k as it’s what I’d expect/imagine a package for this to cost. Also no engine mods because that worries me, could ruin me bike. I’d probably have a PC with it or something but not replacing the ECU for me.

These pesky students and their polls :lol:

I know right! We'll probably never even see him again on the forum!

(also done! :thumb: )

I've invested too much of my life reading the shite on this forum so I'm not going to give up now!.

Thanks again everyone for your votes.

Oh, and [mention]rennie[/mention] - do it! :-D

Many sports bikes are designed with ram-air induction so at high speed they produce more BHP.

So the airbox must be pretty good at dealing with pressure.

I wonder what pressure you could boost a standard airbox to, and I wonder how that could be achieved at lower speeds?? Basically forced induction on the cheap.