Horsepower loss over time....

Troy

I got a concern that I can’t really lay to rest without hearing other opinions and doing more research.

I own a CBR650F 2015 which I believe is at 86BHP from new. I planned to keep this one for the long run. I couldn’t help but get worried though about the loss of horses that may happen over the years. I don’t want to sit on it 10 years from now and think “this feels gutless!!”.

Am I overthinking this too much?

Is the loss of power that noticeable?

Can I prevent it happening?

You’re way overthinking it. I ride a 1999 hornet 600 which had about 97 bhp from new, so it’s definitely lost a few horses by now, but it’s still more than enough for me at the moment.

You ask if there’s a way of preventing it happening, well you lose the horses as the engine wears so I would suggest, parking it In the garage and leaving it there for the next ten years, but then you would have rust, rubber degradation etc to deal with so my advice is just go and ride it, enjoy it and if/when it becomes too gutless, sell it and buy a new one.

Unless you have done big big mileage, it probably has slightly more power from the break in than it had brand spanking new.

Power loss occurs due to wear, pistons get covered in carbon, valves go out, fuel injectors aren't as efficient, bearings develop play, it all adds up. Good servicing keeps the majority of this at bay until very high mileage.

Top gear once covered this topic, and James May serviced a Renault and recovered most of the lost horses just giving the engine a good tune up. So that supports the view that good care will keep your bike mostly the same way beyond 10 years.

I own a CBR650F 2015 which I believe is at 86BHP from new

....and how do you know? Only way is to put it on a dyno and measure it. Then you've got to realise that you must use the same dyno to get a comparison. Even if you do 2 back-to-back runs, you won't get the same results because of the inherent error. So finding the same dyno in same condition as it was when you did the original test in 10 years time? Unlikely.

So don't worry about it. You might as well sit up fretting about the sun going out.

I think as long as you service it correctly any loss of power will be negligible.

You will probably just open the throttle more to compensate without realising.

There was a feature in a bike mag or paper some time ago that looked into riders quest for "more power",they put data loggers on a bike maybe an R1 IIRC, and rode it around on the road.They found that they were only using a fraction of its performance and that if you want to go faster just open the throttle more, no need for power commanders, exhausts etc.

My R1 is 18 years old with 36k miles and still crazy fast.

Although we all love these hunks of metal called motorbikes there's no getting away from the fact that they are disposable consumer products . They will all wear out one way or another so just enjoy and stop worrying about it .

A few things from me:

I bought my zx6r new in 2006 - it's still plenty quick and schweet in the corners.

My 24 year old ZXR 750 was *apparently* 118 bhp out of the box. I had it on the dyno last year at 109 bhp. Factor in Speedy's fudge factor and that's near as dammit the same.

Finally, if you do feel the need for more juice and fancy a turbo, give me a hollerdonk - the aforementioned ZXR 750 now pumps out 170 bhp. :-D

Now I just want to see pics of the ZXR, don’t really care about the turbo, I’ve just always loved those bikes from when I was a kid in the 90s seeing them fly around near box hill on a Sunday afternoon, everyone always talked about the Fireblade but I liked the ZXR, particularly in the green/blue/white colour scheme with the cool looking tubes in the petrol tank!.

There is a greater chance of getting bored with it and after 10years you will certainly got so used to its performance you will think it's slower than it was.

How many new riders get a supposed safe bike then think it's slow and boring after a month.